Author Topic: Leaguewide rumors and what can the Celts get out of them.  (Read 4260 times)

Leaguewide rumors and what can the Celts get out of them.
« on: January 06, 2009, 03:27:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
There's a bunch of different trade rumors beginning to swirl around the league. Apparently one has Camby being pursued by the Knicks. Another has Portland desparate for a big man and David Lee and Eddie Curry might interest them. Sacramento seems to be getting anyone they can interested in Brad Miller.

So there's a rumored three way involving some of these people with Eddy Curry going to Portland, Marcus Camby to NY, and parts to the Clippers. I wonder if Danny could get in there and see if he gives up either Baby or Powe and could get Channing Frye back who is buried at the end of the Portland bench. Yeah I know other parts would be involved but if something this big is going down and the C's could get involved they might be able to grab someone while giving up some of there own less than stellar players.

Any ideas?

Re: Leaguewide rumors and what can the Celts get out of them.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 03:36:34 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Why would Portland be desperate for a big man?

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 03:54:54 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I really don't see the C's have any pieces that are going to entice teams to bring them into a bigger deal. 

However, that does not mean that the C's will not be able to profit by a lot of bigger deals happening around the league.  As we have seen plenty of times, trades often lead to buyouts.  Especially when you have big trades with lots of pieces needed to match salaries. 

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 03:55:42 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Sorry, but David Lee, Camby, Eddy Curry, and Brad Miller isn't "something big".
Well, yeah, I guess Curry is something big!

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 04:01:54 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
I wonder if Danny could get in there and see if he gives up either Baby or Powe and could get Channing Frye back who is buried at the end of the Portland bench.
Any ideas?
Channing Frye wont provide us better minutes than Powe so that is a bad deal for the C's. Frye is SOFT & is probably not even a upgrade from P.O.B. seriously! We need SIZE that is not SOFT!

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 04:19:35 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
Sorry, but David Lee, Camby, Eddy Curry, and Brad Miller isn't "something big".
Well, yeah, I guess Curry is something big!

Brad Miller and Camby would be MASSIVE, don't see your logic there.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 04:21:53 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Walsh already said that the rumours are made up.
AFAIK, the source is a comment on a Knicksblog from a guy who`s allegedly close to the Clippers organization. I really don`t think there`s anything to get involved.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 04:36:44 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
As much as I'd like to see the C's get involved in "something big"...(no Brad Miller wouldnt be and hopefully isnt an option)...There is just no room for them to do such a thing... As trade bait we have,

Tony Allen, Big Baby, Scals, Patty O, and House... (I guess you could throw in Giddens, Walker, and Pruitt but what value do they have?)

What would any of these guys give us in return? Allen and house each make a combined what, 2 mil a year? Package those two for a big and we loose our perimeter game. Trade Scal...for who? These guys are "role" players on a championship TEAM, but when valued seperately arent worth very much...It is going to be hard for the Celtics to change their bench up by making a trade if they want anything significant in return. I'd love Camby, but if it means Scal Allen House and BBD to get him, then how does that improve our bench? it just leaves us with more holes...

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 04:42:50 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
As much as I'd like to see the C's get involved in "something big"...(no Brad Miller wouldnt be and hopefully isnt an option)...There is just no room for them to do such a thing... As trade bait we have,

Tony Allen, Big Baby, Scals, Patty O, and House... (I guess you could throw in Giddens, Walker, and Pruitt but what value do they have?)

What would any of these guys give us in return? Allen and house each make a combined what, 2 mil a year? Package those two for a big and we loose our perimeter game. Trade Scal...for who? These guys are "role" players on a championship TEAM, but when valued seperately arent worth very much...It is going to be hard for the Celtics to change their bench up by making a trade if they want anything significant in return. I'd love Camby, but if it means Scal Allen House and BBD to get him, then how does that improve our bench? it just leaves us with more holes...
To get Camby we would have to give up Perk & they would have to take Scal & Tony Allen with him. So NO for me with Perk & im sure NO for them with Scals.

Also the Clippers would definitely ask for PERK in return. Thats a definite!

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 05:44:41 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
I wonder if Danny could get in there and see if he gives up either Baby or Powe and could get Channing Frye back who is buried at the end of the Portland bench.
If the plan is to sign a veteran big in time for the playoffs, and the plan is to re-sign only Powe and not Davis (or vice versa), then Danny might as well trade Baby or Powe for something. If he doesn't trade Big Baby (or Powe), and Baby (or Powe) loses all of his minutes in the playoffs to a veteran signee, then that should indicate that Danny plans on re-signing both undersized bigs for next season and beyond, because why else would Danny hold onto them both just to lose one of them to free agency?

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 06:21:16 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
If the plan is to sign a veteran big in time for the playoffs, and the plan is to re-sign only Powe and not Davis (or vice versa), then Danny might as well trade Baby or Powe for something. If he doesn't trade Big Baby (or Powe), and Baby (or Powe) loses all of his minutes in the playoffs to a veteran signee, then that should indicate that Danny plans on re-signing both undersized bigs for next season and beyond, because why else would Danny hold onto them both just to lose one of them to free agency?
Maybe because no one wants to trade for them just to lose them to free agency?

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 06:22:17 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

You hold onto both of them because either one is more useful for THIS years playoff run than Paddy O.  You never can count out injuries, which is also the reason why Cassell won't get cut.

The only viable option this team has (in terms of roster shakeup) is to cut one of the rookies and add a FA.  Trades can't help this team right now.

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 07:06:18 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I want the Celtics to get involved in something big, just don't expect the Celtics to get any big.

I want Ainge to weasel his way in and come out with a solid role player.