Author Topic: Austin Croshere  (Read 4509 times)

Austin Croshere
« on: January 06, 2009, 02:49:18 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Austin Croshere was released today.  I don't think he is the type of player the C's will jump on right away, but if he sticks around for a while, he might be an interesting option if they can't get someone better, like Smith. 

Thoughts?

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2009/01/exprovidence_st.html

Re: Austin Croshere
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 03:00:20 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Is he better than Scals at this point? I'd lean towards no.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 03:01:45 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

You're probably right.  I honestly don't know.  But if we are going to throw out names like Paul Davis and Nazr Mohammed, I figured it was at least worth mentioning.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 03:07:02 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

You're probably right.  I honestly don't know.  But if we are going to throw out names like Paul Davis and Nazr Mohammed, I figured it was at least worth mentioning.

You rang?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 03:18:51 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

He's way more athletic than Scal and better offensively but it would take him forever to be close to Scal defensively.

Really a wash.

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 03:23:37 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

He's way more athletic than Scal and better offensively but it would take him forever to be close to Scal defensively.

Really a wash.

I suppose he would be a guy you would look at if they somehow end up sending Scal out in a trade or something.  He wouldn't be the 6th man or anything, but could be useful as a 9th or 10th man, that is just used in specific situations. 

I really think one of the things this team has really been missing this year off the bench has been consistent outside shooting.  Other than House, who has been inconsistent, as well as forced to handle the ball, which leads to fewer open shots for him, they really have no one off the bench who is a good shooter.  Scal is the closest they have to even an average shooter. 

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 03:25:41 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

You rang?

Haha, didn't even realize you started both threads.  But I just meant that at this point, we might as well be throwing out every name we can, just in case the C's aren't able to land one of the top guys they are looking at.

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 03:52:04 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

You rang?

Haha, didn't even realize you started both threads.  But I just meant that at this point, we might as well be throwing out every name we can, just in case the C's aren't able to land one of the top guys they are looking at.

I don't think Croshere fits the need we have for length/size. He would help with some perimeter game off the bench, I agree.

But, yeah, beggars can't be choosers, right?

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 04:16:31 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
agreed, a younger Croshere would be nice as a bench player for us but we really don't need him at this point

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 04:19:33 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2405
No, I think Scalabrine is better and I don't see a need for Croshere since Scal is on the roster.

I do think Austin Croshere is still an NBA level player though, and that he should get a gig with another team this season. He shouldn't be in a team's rotation, an end of the roster type player.

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 05:17:59 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
But if we are going to throw out names like Paul Davis and Nazr Mohammed, I figured it was at least worth mentioning.

Two wrongs don't make a right. ;)

As one of the few persons who actually saw every single second Croshere played for the Bucks (seriously), I say no. However:
- he's still though as nails, he plays really hard
- he still has enough left in the tank to help some teams - including the Bucks if they didn't have like 4 other PFs in the roster, including a couple of jump-shooting ones. That's also the reason we don't need Austin.

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 05:25:09 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
But if we are going to throw out names like Paul Davis and Nazr Mohammed, I figured it was at least worth mentioning.

As one of the few persons who actually saw every single second Croshere played for the Bucks (seriously), I say no. However:
- he still has enough left in the tank to help some teams - including the Bucks if they didn't have like 4 other PFs in the roster, including a couple of jump-shooting ones. That's also the reason we don't need Austin.

Cordobes, you a Bucks fan?

If so, maybe you can offer some insight into Malik Allen's game. Does he get any run, and could he help us if he happens to be bought out?

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 06:11:44 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Cordobes, you a Bucks fan?

If so, maybe you can offer some insight into Malik Allen's game. Does he get any run, and could he help us if he happens to be bought out?

No, I'm not a Bucks fan (I profess fanship monogamy) , but I've seen plenty of games from them this season because I like a couple of their players.

Allen was getting some minutes at the start of the season (he was a starter for a couple of games) and not playing badly, but a couple of injuries threw him out of the rotation. With Bell now healthy and handling the wing backup spot, it's easier to have LRMAM starting at the 4 and Villanueva backing him up, so unless one of these guys production declines, I think his chances of getting back into the rotation are cloudy, especially with Elson stepping up.

I don't think  Allen can help us. He's slower than he once was and he still can't rebound. He has a better jumper than Davis, but that's all. He's not yet a defensive liability, unless he's played in clearly unfavorable matchups, but he's getting close. The only Bucks veteran who could help us is Elson, who has been showing signs of better play lately. I'll need to see some more quality minutes from him though. And if he plays well, I don't see much of a reason to the Bucks to trade him anyway.

Now, if Ainge had drafted Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, that would have certainly helped us. This season and certainly in the future.