Author Topic: I guess no flopping fines this year  (Read 2851 times)

I guess no flopping fines this year
« on: January 06, 2009, 02:26:11 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
If this was already talked about and I missed it, I apologize, but I totally forgot about this until my girlfriend brought it up a couple days ago.  Then I did some digging, and by digging I mean googling, and came across this article.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2008/12/29/so-much-for-the-nbas-flop-crackdown/

Apparently, the league is just "monitoring" the situation this year, but won't hand out any fines.  That seems pretty stupid to me.  I don't see how them "monitoring" the situation will deter this from continuing to be a problem in the league.

Oh well, I guess plays like this are safe for at least one more year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEx4JUDeyAQ

Re: I guess no flopping fines this year
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 02:34:52 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
If this was already talked about and I missed it, I apologize, but I totally forgot about this until my girlfriend brought it up a couple days ago.  Then I did some digging, and by digging I mean googling, and came across this article.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2008/12/29/so-much-for-the-nbas-flop-crackdown/

Apparently, the league is just "monitoring" the situation this year, but won't hand out any fines.  That seems pretty stupid to me.  I don't see how them "monitoring" the situation will deter this from continuing to be a problem in the league.

Oh well, I guess plays like this are safe for at least one more year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEx4JUDeyAQ

Amazing sell on AK47's part.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 02:37:55 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
rather than players being fined.....the nba should fine the officials who are stupid for making the call, thus rewarding the flop.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 03:04:28 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
rather than players being fined.....the nba should fine the officials who are stupid for making the call, thus rewarding the flop.

The league will continue to have star-biased and flat-out fraudulent officiating. Where the rulebook is a living breathing document based on who is on the court.  It'll be that way until revenues change.  As long as we keep buying NBALP, watching the games live, and on television, the system isn't broken.  No matter how bad the officiating is.   

The officials are following Stern's direction.  They're actually every bit as good as they were 30 years ago.  They have to be.  They have to make calls on the fly based on who's in the play.

The flopping fines will never happen.  In Stern's mind, the system isn't broken.

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 03:48:06 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
I agree with both the fines for the flopping and the referees who fall for it. I don't know how the league can claim to review the officiating after every game its clearly untrue.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 10:06:35 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
kirilenko? it figures.

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 10:18:59 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
I think it would be very satisfying for the player who got the raw end of the deal if they were allowed to show a tape of the play to the Ref who made the stupid call. Just let the player show it over and over again while he yells "SEE? SEE?!?!?".

And then the ref has to apologize. It wouldn't bother me nearly as much if these refs weren't all arrogant about their calls. They make an obviously wrong call, and then when the coach is talking to them they don't even make eye contact or break their stride. They just give off this air like they're thinking "*sigh*, these people are so stupid. I'm not going to even bother explaining."

And then they immediately make a makeup call, but don't admit that it was a makeup. They play it off just the same way they played off the last dumb call. Its just so underhanded and snakelike and arrogant and BLEH. Awful.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 11:20:18 PM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
The league, specifically David Stern, suggesting they would look into fining players for flopping, was just another smokescreen to deflect attention away from officials, something Stern works overtime to do.  It is obvious to anyone watching, the behavior has been driven by officials falling for it.  Fining players for adjusting to the way games are called, is putting the blame in the wrong place.  If officials stopped awarding fouls on phantom flops, then less flopping would occur, it is that simple.  But that would mean scrutiny/criticism of Stern's protected ones, something that is not likely to happen anytime soon.

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 11:42:43 PM »

Offline daryy

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
very well ;D
Order original factory mercury parts for your Mercury outboard or MerCruiser sterndrive here.

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 02:32:10 AM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
Flopping is an art, not everyone can do it.  Sure it annoying  but its part of the game as far as I'm concerned.  Its the refs fault for calling it in the end anyways.