Author Topic: Phil Jackson exploited Rondo, rest of the league took notice...  (Read 9459 times)

Re: Phil Jackson exploited Rondo, rest of the league took notice...
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 02:40:03 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Phil Jackson did this in the Finals too. It's no surprise.

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 02:42:24 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Rondo just isn't the same player on the road. 

exactly!

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 02:44:33 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

exactly!

The refs don't allow him to be.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

exactly!

as much as i dislike the officiating, rondo's inconsistency between home and away games are due to more than the officials. 

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 03:05:37 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112

exactly!

as much as i dislike the officiating, rondo's inconsistency between home and away games are due to more than the officials. 
tp..agreed,ive said this in some other posts somewhere once upon a time.

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 03:14:37 PM »

Offline Jaycelt

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 7

Comming into the season it's like teams forgot about what happened in the Finals, yes, I know we dominated ... but the defense against Rondo (or rather, lack of) was really hurting us and when Jackson did this again on X-mas it was one of the first times this season we've seen that type of D.

Now, I'm sure, every team that we face has watched tape of that L.A. game, or atleast their coaches have, and are trying to follow suit.  And guess what, it's working!

Hope Doc figures this one out. 

Rondo played pretty well in the finals aside from that whole sprained ankle thing. How did that strategy work out in games 2 and 6 (or game 1 for that matter)?

As for this year's game, and I'm not excusing Rondo, but we often play into the other team's hands when Paul and Ray bring the ball up the court and start the offense (as they were doing frequently against LA). In general I think this is ineffective, as I think Paul gets much better looks giving it to Rondo and getting it back than he does when he brings it up and then goes against a defense that's loaded up against him. But lately Paul or Ray bring the ball up and are in the middle with the ball. That seems to leave Rondo in one of the corners without the ball, which isn't effective for us.

Not true.  Against the Lakers Pierce hardly touched the ball in the 4th quarter when the game was lost.  In fact he only took one shot and it was a three.  Rondo had total control of the ball when he was on the court.

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 03:32:46 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Comming into the season it's like teams forgot about what happened in the Finals, yes, I know we dominated ... but the defense against Rondo (or rather, lack of) was really hurting us and when Jackson did this again on X-mas it was one of the first times this season we've seen that type of D.

Now, I'm sure, every team that we face has watched tape of that L.A. game, or atleast their coaches have, and are trying to follow suit.  And guess what, it's working!

Hope Doc figures this one out. 

Rondo played pretty well in the finals aside from that whole sprained ankle thing. How did that strategy work out in games 2 and 6 (or game 1 for that matter)?

As for this year's game, and I'm not excusing Rondo, but we often play into the other team's hands when Paul and Ray bring the ball up the court and start the offense (as they were doing frequently against LA). In general I think this is ineffective, as I think Paul gets much better looks giving it to Rondo and getting it back than he does when he brings it up and then goes against a defense that's loaded up against him. But lately Paul or Ray bring the ball up and are in the middle with the ball. That seems to leave Rondo in one of the corners without the ball, which isn't effective for us.

Not true.  Against the Lakers Pierce hardly touched the ball in the 4th quarter when the game was lost.  In fact he only took one shot and it was a three.  Rondo had total control of the ball when he was on the court.

You're talking about 1 quarter of 1 game.

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 03:48:49 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
The only thing I've noticed is that teams have caught on to Rondo's little right-hand flip layup from the left side- obviously an easy shot to block if you play for it.
Other than that, I see no big difference. Poor Rondo can't win with some fans. If he shoots, he's in love with his jumper. If he doesn't shoot, he's hurting the team because the defense can lay off him.
I think he has a higher bb IQ than all of us and he'll figure it out. His outside shot is better this year, though still very inconsistent. He makes very very few mistakes, is a great ballhandler, fantastic passer, plays D, and rebounds.
It would be nice if he could keep improving his outside shot and maybe develop a little pullup or fadeaway shot off his drive(isn't Cassell supposed to be 'mentoring' him?), but he's pretty [dang] good as is.
Oh, and tp for Finkelskyhook for his opinion of Phil Jackson!!

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 03:50:39 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Doc should go big if someone tries that. Let Chris Duhon guard Paul Pierce in the post for about 5 plays.

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 04:30:37 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

exactly!

Agree to disagree.  I too have elaborated elsewhere and don't feel like giving the effort.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 04:38:13 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
Im sold! I am keeping Rondo no matter what type of Don Nelson type schemes they throw at him. Who could we get back in return for him if we soured on him? Exactly! Chris Paul & Deron Williams is not walking through that door. I have him as a top 3 young point gaurd in the league behind those two named & Derek Rose quickly gaining on him. But I can except that! Nash & Kidd is not in the young discussion. Tony Parker is up there also.

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2009, 04:43:23 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Dont give Phil more credit than he deserves. He copied the strategy used by other coaches. Rondo just needs to be as aggressive against the big men as he is against PG'S...Why hasn't Doc given the ball more to the mismatch or used the pick and roll more to get Rondo's defender changed?

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2009, 05:05:39 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
This strategy has been used on players who arent good shooters/questionable shooters/streaky shooter for years and years, nothing Phil Jackson made up specifically for rondo
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2009, 05:13:02 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
It's ridiculous to give credit to Jackson for this.

In fact, the better team taking advantage of this was Cleveland with Delonte West.

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

exactly!

tp..agreed,ive said this in some other posts somewhere once upon a time.

thx for the TP....right back at u