Author Topic: Phil Jackson exploited Rondo, rest of the league took notice...  (Read 9454 times)

Phil Jackson exploited Rondo, rest of the league took notice...
« on: January 06, 2009, 01:05:34 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18

Comming into the season it's like teams forgot about what happened in the Finals, yes, I know we dominated ... but the defense against Rondo (or rather, lack of) was really hurting us and when Jackson did this again on X-mas it was one of the first times this season we've seen that type of D.

Now, I'm sure, every team that we face has watched tape of that L.A. game, or atleast their coaches have, and are trying to follow suit.  And guess what, it's working!

Hope Doc figures this one out. 

Re: Phil Jackson exploited Rondo, rest of the league took notice...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 01:06:52 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Good.  It will give Rondo and the Celtics plenty of time  to figure it out before the playoffs begin. 

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 01:16:50 PM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Many teams have tried similar strategies without success.  What it comes down to is, if Rondo makes it a point to attack the rim, the Celtics are better off for it.  Just because a team gives him an open 18-footer doesnt mean he should take it everytime.  Rondo has the speed and quickness to get by any defender, no matter how far off they play him.  There are just some games when he falls in love with the jump shot, which isn't the best thing for this team.

That being said, the recent slide the Celtics have had cannot solely fall at Rondo's feet.  The bench has been bad, and the overall energy of the team has been bad as well.

The same thing happened when the Celtics lost 3 in a row last year after the all-star break.  Everyone started writing articles about the "blueprint" for beating the Celtics.  Then what happened?  They ran off about 10 straight wins and eventually won the title.  Nice blueprint.   ::)

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 01:19:22 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Eh, teams were doing the same thing to Rondo all season long...He just has entered into one of his slumps.  He has found ways to be effective against those defenses before, and he will again, he just needs to gain some consistency.

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 01:22:59 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Rondo just isn't the same player on the road. 

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 01:23:26 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Comming into the season it's like teams forgot about what happened in the Finals, yes, I know we dominated ... but the defense against Rondo (or rather, lack of) was really hurting us and when Jackson did this again on X-mas it was one of the first times this season we've seen that type of D.

Now, I'm sure, every team that we face has watched tape of that L.A. game, or atleast their coaches have, and are trying to follow suit.  And guess what, it's working!

teams have been doing the lakers strategy since the start of the year, it was being offset by the fact that they were doubling off with a gaurd, which allowed rondo to cut back to the basket and beat the smaller man on a layup.

The only wrinkle now is that they are putting a big man as the primary defender on rondo, allowing the gaurd to roam to try to get quick steals, while attempting to deny rajon the quick cut back layup to the hoop with his man being a shotblocker.

and it still has limited success, the last 4 games its been very sucesful, but that has alot to do with rajon's poor play on the road.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 01:24:28 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

this i agree with, he's still very much a third year kid and second year starter, He hasen't gotten to a place where he has home and road consitant play, like vets do.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 01:28:12 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
if i remember correctly, seems to me that the celtics exposed the lakers and phil jackson last season in 6 games...

...file this under "not concerned."  rondo is fine and his game is growing by the week...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 01:29:20 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I don't agree with the premise.  Had the C's not run into a bizarre Gasol crunch-time epifamy, we'd have won that game...Even though we weren't playing well.  Wasn't any strategic genius by the most overrated coach in NBA history.

If something has been found, we'll adjust.

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 01:31:32 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I don't agree with the premise.  Had the C's not run into a bizarre Gasol crunch-time epifamy, we'd have won that game...Even though we weren't playing well.  Wasn't any strategic genius by the most overrated coach in NBA history.

If something has been found, we'll adjust.

yep, and the premise is also false that christmas was the first time this year that teams have tried this against us, a bunch have teams have tried it, and rajon burnt them on quick cuts to the basket off the ball from 15ft out.

when he's playing well and moving without the basketball, this defense of "ignore him" doesn't work.

What teams have figured out, i think, is what me and LAR seem to agree on. as mature as he is for his age, he still suffers from home and road swings in his play (not suprising, alot of younger players do) and you can exploit that if you get him out of his game early on the road.

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 01:39:06 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

this i agree with, he's still very much a third year kid and second year starter, He hasen't gotten to a place where he has home and road consitant play, like vets do.

Rondo has definitely grown on me.  I definitely like the kid and he can be impressive at times.   But he seems to really disappear at times against tough teams.  Especially on the road.  I remember a game in Detroit last year where he was just terrible.  Probably a combo of youth and nerves.  It's likely the same reason he struggles making jumpers that supposedly he has no trouble making in practice.   

Here's his current home/away split:

Home:  13.1 points, 8.3 assists, 5.3 rebounds, 2.4 steals 55% shooting
Away:  8.3 points, 6.8 assists, 4.4 rebounds, 2 steals 47% shooting

I don't think he has the same confidence on the road.  He'll work it out eventually.

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 01:46:46 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Rondo played pretty well in the finals aside from that whole sprained ankle thing. How did that strategy work out in games 2 and 6 (or game 1 for that matter)?

As for this year's game, and I'm not excusing Rondo, but we often play into the other team's hands when Paul and Ray bring the ball up the court and start the offense (as they were doing frequently against LA). In general I think this is ineffective, as I think Paul gets much better looks giving it to Rondo and getting it back than he does when he brings it up and then goes against a defense that's loaded up against him. But lately Paul or Ray bring the ball up and are in the middle with the ball. That seems to leave Rondo in one of the corners without the ball, which isn't effective for us.

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 01:56:46 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85

This is definitely it right here. When teams do play a wing on Rondo and sag off of him it kills our offense because that guy can be like a free safety and help on everyone else. Rondo can kill this if he just takes it to the rim. For some reason he doesn't take it to the rim on the road and it has to do with his confidence as a youngster, I believe.

Another thing is that when Doc senses Rondo is going to play tentatively, Doc tends to call plays for Rondo to dump it off early in the possession. This is problematic because Rondo is then a player playing off of the ball with a weak jump shot and that is only 6 feet tall, minimizing his effectiveness. I'd like Doc to give him the reigns every time because our offense is running the best when it is in Rondo's hands for the majority of the play.

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 02:23:47 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
It worked in LA, not in Boston, rondo dominated the finals at home
Phil Jackson wasnt the first to try this gameplan, sorry but the cavs and pistons were doing it last year in the playoffs and Phil Jackson copied them.
And the lakers have no other choice, they have noone who can guard him, so why bother?
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 02:32:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Rondo has definitely grown on me.  I definitely like the kid and he can be impressive at times.   But he seems to really disappear at times against tough teams.  Especially on the road.  I remember a game in Detroit last year where he was just terrible.  Probably a combo of youth and nerves.  It's likely the same reason he struggles making jumpers that supposedly he has no trouble making in practice.   

Here's his current home/away split:

Home:  13.1 points, 8.3 assists, 5.3 rebounds, 2.4 steals 55% shooting
Away:  8.3 points, 6.8 assists, 4.4 rebounds, 2 steals 47% shooting

I don't think he has the same confidence on the road.  He'll work it out eventually.

10/28   Cleveland 14 PTS, 6 ASTS, 5 REBS, 3 STL 4-5 FGA-FGM
11/4 @ Houston 10 PTS, 7 ASTS, 7 REBS, 5-10 FGA-FGM
11/20 Detroit 18 PTS, 8 ASTS, 1 REBS, 3 STL 7-11 FGA-FGM
12/1 Orlando 16 PTS, 12 ASTS, 4 REBS, 1 STL 6-10 FGA-FGM
12/5 Portland 16 PTS, 7 ASTS, 8 REBS, 2 STL 6-8 FGA-FGM
12/15 Utah 25 PTS, 8 ASTS, 9 REBS, 3 STL 7-14 FGA-FGM
12/17 @ Atlanta 15 PTS, 7 ASTS, 6 REBS, 4 STL 7-12 FGA-FGM
12/30 @ Portland 13 PTS, 7 ASTS, 6 REBS, 3 STL 5-10 FGA-FGM

In the only other three games against good teams on the road against here's what he did. Not great but not horrible.

11/9 @ Detroit 13 Pts, 5 AST, 1 REB, 2 STL, 4-5 FGA-FGM
11/23 @ Toronto 15 Pts, 4 AST, 2 REB, 2 STL, 6-11 FGA-FGM
12/25 @ Lakers 6 Pts, 12 AST, 3 REB, 1 STL, 3-11 FGA-FGM

That's 11 games against 9 of the toughest teams in the league. By my recollection there's one game where he didn't play great against a quality opponent, the Lakers game. But even then he had 12 assists and played some good defense.

So I ask, where exactly is Rondo disappearing to in games against good teams especially on the road? Or is that Lakers game still that fresh in your mind?