Author Topic: Trade Idea: TA, Eddie, Scal, and BBD for Joe Smith and Desmond Mason  (Read 7094 times)

Offline silvershamrocker

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Believe In The Sleeve
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=2367~3200~348~1021~518~788&teams=25~25~25~25~2~2&te=&cash=

Celtics get Joe Smith, the big they sorely need, and Desmond Mason who can score and defend. If they sign Marbury, they'll get their point needed when Eddie is gone.

OKC gets TA and BBD, two young players that rebuilding teams would want, a shooter and a veteran in Eddie, and Scal to make up for the veteran prescence Joe Smith gave them.

Rondo/[Marbury]
Allen/Pruitt
Pierce/Mason
Garnett/Powe
Perk/Smith

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 05:38:23 PM by silvershamrocker »

"It will be fun watching the Lakers get those balloons down one at a time." - Bill Russell

Re: Trade Idea: TA, Eddie, Scal, and BBD for Joe Smith and Desmond Mason
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 05:27:13 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
That is a great trade for us. Not sure why OKC would do it though.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 05:28:41 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I think the sad truth about any Joe Smith trade scenario is that we have to offer them more than Cleveland can: and they have a nice fat expiring contract in Eric Snow ($7.3 mil) and a first round draft pick. We have neither.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 05:37:02 PM »

Offline silvershamrocker

• Jaylen Brown
  • Believe In The Sleeve
I think the sad truth about any Joe Smith trade scenario is that we have to offer them more than Cleveland can: and they have a nice fat expiring contract in Eric Snow ($7.3 mil) and a first round draft pick. We have neither.

But why would OKC take Snow's contract? They want young players, not guys that aren't playing. The draft pick may be desirable to them, though.

"It will be fun watching the Lakers get those balloons down one at a time." - Bill Russell

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 05:46:54 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

But why would OKC take Snow's contract? They want young players, not guys that aren't playing. The draft pick may be desirable to them, though.

Snow's contract would help make the numbers work, without compromising OKC's future cap situation.

In fact, it would allow OKC to send out another small contract, like Damien Wilkins', thus improving their payroll for next season. (Cleveland could include or cut Tarence Kinsey.)

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 06:02:50 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
Isn't Snow retired? They shouldn't be able to use his contract. He's working for NBA TV for goodness sake.

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 06:03:50 PM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I'm probably wrong, but I thought the Cavs were restricted from trading for Smith due to the previous trade with OKC.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 06:05:41 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Isn't Snow retired? They shouldn't be able to use his contract. He's working for NBA TV for goodness sake.

I don't think he has officially retired (e.g. submitted retirement papers to the league office). He's still on Cleveland's roster.

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 06:07:05 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
I'm probably wrong, but I thought the Cavs were restricted from trading for Smith due to the previous trade with OKC.

You're absolutely right. I thought that was during last season, but it was during this past offseason. So Cleveland can't trade for Smith during this season after all. If Smith is released, however, he'd be free to sign with Cleveland.

Apologies, my mistake. No wonder Cleveland hasn't already pulled the trigger, with Z out and all.

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 06:07:09 PM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Actually it is a very good trade for us. But as people said before, why would OKC do it?

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 06:08:35 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
sign me up for this one.

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 06:18:53 PM »

Offline silvershamrocker

• Jaylen Brown
  • Believe In The Sleeve
Actually it is a very good trade for us. But as people said before, why would OKC do it?

TA and Baby are young players with upside. OKC is a young, rebuilding team and they would want young players. Scal will give them vet leadership that will replace what Smith gave. And Eddie is another vet and can shoot. They probably wouldn't do it, but it makes some sense for them. It's not like the Pau Gasol trade.  ::)

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 06:26:14 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

TA and Baby are young players with upside. OKC is a young, rebuilding team and they would want young players. Scal will give them vet leadership that will replace what Smith gave. And Eddie is another vet and can shoot. They probably wouldn't do it, but it makes some sense for them. It's not like the Pau Gasol trade.  ::)

It depends on how much they value veteran leadership. Enough to spend approx $8.3 million of their available cap space for next year, though? I don't see it.

They only have $35 mil in guaranteed contracts next year, and that's assuming they don't move guys like Collison, Watson, and Wilkins, who could help this year's contenders. They are going to have a ton of cap space to bring in help for their core (Durant, Green, Westbrook, Krstic). I don't think Presti is going to compromise that.

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 06:26:33 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
My only real concern here is... who's the backup PG now?  I'm not comfortable have Sam I Am be the sole backup considering he has yet to play this season.

If the Marbury rumors come true I'd be more willing, as much as I love Eddie House.

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 06:36:39 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
It would affect their cap space next year but they will be well under either way. Scals, House and TA expire in 2010 which wouldn't compromise things much long term and BBD expires after this year.