Author Topic: Championship aside, this team is a disappointment  (Read 16466 times)

Re: Championship aside, this team is a disappointment
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2009, 06:40:07 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
well, according to some here, this season changed when portland had 6 players on the floor and still received credit for that basket...

apparently the celtics themselves still haven't gotten over that one yet.

Don't minimize the importance of that play. That was a critical basket in a close game that 1) got us into a bad head space, at least for that one game and 2) cost us points that at the end, made a huge difference. It wasn't a huge deal, and it wasn't the end of the world, but it was an important play.

if they're not mentally tough enough to get over that play then they don't deserve to win another title this year...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2009, 07:07:18 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
well, according to some here, this season changed when portland had 6 players on the floor and still received credit for that basket...

Don't minimize the importance of that play. That was a critical basket in a close game that 1) got us into a bad head space, at least for that one game and 2) cost us points that at the end, made a huge difference. It wasn't a huge deal, and it wasn't the end of the world, but it was an important play.

if they're not mentally tough enough to get over that play then they don't deserve to win another title this year...

Yes, because teams are poised at all times. That would be nice but these are human beings and human beings sometimes lose focus.

« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2009, 07:13:25 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.

Yes, because teams are poised at all times. That would be nice but these are human beings and human beings sometimes lose focus.

if this were the al jefferson / gerald green celtics, then i would agree...but this team is much different.  they are a veteran group that should be able to move on by now, wouldn't you agree?  let's not use this as a crutch...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2009, 07:15:02 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108

if this were the al jefferson / gerald green celtics, then i would agree...but this team is much different.  they are a veteran group that should be able to move on by now, wouldn't you agree?  let's not use this as a crutch...

I'm just saying human beings are not perfect and on occasion focus can be lost. Even on a veteren team. I think it is unrealistic to expect them to be perfectly poised at all times. I don't think they were perfectly poised at all times in the playoffs, but they did get the championship.

« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2009, 08:21:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

The clock situation in Atlanta was pretty responsible for getting into their head for a game and cost them a game in Atlanta. They somehow were able to regroup and win a title. I think come playoff time the Portland six men play will have been long forgotten if it hasn't been already. It's pretty silly to think a rare complete meshed up play that went against them and got into their heads and maybe cost them a game makes them not tough enough mentally to win it all. I know they've lost 4 of 6 but this seems pretty reactionary to me.

« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2009, 10:13:12 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

I'm just saying human beings are not perfect and on occasion focus can be lost. Even on a veteren team. I think it is unrealistic to expect them to be perfectly poised at all times. I don't think they were perfectly poised at all times in the playoffs, but they did get the championship.

But AJ's original comment wasn't that it shouldn't have affected them then so much as that the team should be over it by now.  And with that I wholeheartedly agree.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.