Author Topic: Championship aside, this team is a disappointment  (Read 16465 times)

Re: Championship aside, this team is a disappointment
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2009, 06:05:09 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I've watched him since day one, and he's always been crazy out thier on the court, and most guys in the league know its just the way he plays and not personal. But im sorry, to say he's suddenly diffrent and now "looks like he's in the WWE" is not anywhere near acurate. He's the same hyper intense guy that punched out a teamate for dogging it at practice 8 years ago.

The hyper intensity?  Yes.  The chippiness, cockiness, and taunting?  No.

were going to have to agree to disagree, he's doing the exact same things, you just seem to have bought the media hype, or want to look at him that way.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2009, 06:10:38 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
TP for Lar and celticsmaniac. And yes, this thread may just be the worst thread ever, dark_lord.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2009, 06:33:53 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
The title of this thread says it all...

"Championship aside, this team is a disappointment"... so, aside from achieving the highest possible goal in the sport, a dissapointment.  How is that possible?  Did you want them to win two championships in 1 year?

I, for one, would have been rather impressed with this outcome.

Sadly, Chuck Norris was unavailable for trade this year.

Or LeBbron, who would guarantee three championships in 1 year.

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2009, 06:48:27 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235

"Championship aside, this team is a disappointment"... so, aside from achieving the highest possible goal in the sport, a dissapointment.  How is that possible?  Did you want them to win two championships in 1 year?

Uh oh, look out we might end up with another couple hundred Lebron James jokes.

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2009, 07:02:27 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Okay, guys...  please stay on topic, and stop with the "worst thread ever" type of posts.  Also, there's no need to call into somebody's fanhood, even if you disagree with where they're coming from.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2009, 07:07:44 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

Uh oh, look out we might end up with another couple hundred Lebron James jokes.

Personally, I'd take a healthy Paul Kersey over either of those two amateurs.  Any "Death Wish" fans around?

Back on topic, I think this team is about where I would have expected it to be if I was capable of looking at the teams I love rationally (instead, I presume they're going to win every night, no matter the circumstances): not quite as good as last year thus far, occasionally not quite as intense (but that's meant only as more of a testament to how incredible their year-long intensity was last year, not a claim that this team is full of slackers by any means) but still a team I'm thrilled to death to be rooting for and one I expect to contend for a repeat.  I'm not disappointed overall by any stretch of the imagination.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2009, 07:16:56 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I was checking out last season's schedule.   We had 1 stretch where we lost 3 games in a row, another where we lost 3 out of 4, 3 losses in another 6 game stretch, another back to back loss.   Mini slumps do happen and being tied for the most games played so far with a few other teams I say our team just needs a little bit of a breather.  If this slump continues for say another couple weeks then I'll start to really get concerned but I'm not calling it a disappointment right now.

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2009, 07:39:12 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I'm not disappointed either.  Our bench needs to pick it up and we need to have less TO's, but we have one of the top teams in the NBA. These are some of the same problems we had last year. It's a long season so let's see were it takes us.

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2009, 07:57:42 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
wow, some of us got spoiled very quickly!  We aren't allowed to lose any games anymore?  Yeah, we've had a bad week, but so what?  Look at our overall record!  If the playoffs started today, I would still pick the Celts to win it all, even as currently constituted.  I'm amazed the entire team stayed as focused as they did last year, and I find it ridiculous to expect them to do it again.  I was nervous of a future burnout in the very first preseason game last year when KG had over 20 rebounds.  I feel like some pacing is necessary over the long haul.

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2009, 08:33:27 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
I agree, this team sucks... blow it up and rebuild! Remember how much fun that was? Bring on that draft lotto again, seems to work for us.

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2009, 08:41:36 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
i will agree that the OP went a little over the top...

but some of you guys are just being cruel...so much for this being a "community" of friends.  sometimes the meanness here just baffles me.

here's the problem (as i see it): we've been told by nearly everyone around the celtics organization (with the exception of bob ryan) that this was THE GREATEST celtics team of all-time.  well, when they play this bad we can't understand it because, afterall, these are the greatest celtics to ever play together on one team... ::) (sarcasm noted.).

the knicks are awful...so are the pacers...brandon roy didn't even suit up for portland.  this team has some deficiencies...either they're going to eventually go away, or we're going to learn that the "geniuses" who declared this team as the greatest ever were simply wrong in their assessment, forgetting how great both those teams of the past were as was the entire NBA.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2009, 08:47:09 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
No offense, and I really stress no offense, that's one of the most rediculous things I've ever heard. From a championship to the best start in league history thus far with a 3rd year PG and 2nd rounders. Let's not forget who Leon and Baby really are, and how insignificant Eddie House was before coming to Boston. The state Perk and Rondo were in going into last season. The only disappointment is the lack of quality free agents out there, if Marbury comes to town and we find a way to land a big the C's are once again head and shoulders above the rest of the league once they gel and if attitudes mesh. You can't expect a team to be so unbelievable if it has Scal in the flippin' rotation. I think the C's are getting all they can out of every last ounce of talent. Minus PJ, Sam and Posey supplementing like they did last season, this is the best case scenario, slump or not.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2009, 08:52:33 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
I think people's frustration with this thread stems from the fact that this team has been together for less than one and a half seasons...during which they've won a championship and so far this season have the second best record in the NBA. Just because they've had a cold stretch doesn't make them a disappointment.

I can appreciate that this IS a forum where people can come to talk on all matters, but this idea that they're not living up to expectations is far-fetched. Patience, young grasshopper...patience.

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
This team is definitely not a disappointment. I think what most people are saying is that they are concerned that we might not be the clear cut favorite to win the title, at least not yet. That is ok though, we werent really last year either. Even in the finals the "Lackers" were the favorite. I still believe that Danny will "pull a rabbit out of his hat" and get both Marbury and another quality big. We don't need much else. And if you dont think Marbury wouldnt love to prove that he has a lot bball still in him then wait and see.

« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2009, 09:24:15 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
1. You can't do better than a championship

2. you can't do better than first place.

If you were expecting a historic, videogame-esque season or run from this team... this is real life. Embrace it. You can't save before every game and quit if you lose. Real people have real deficiencies, sooooo maybe just accept it?
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.