Author Topic: Championship aside, this team is a disappointment  (Read 16472 times)

Re: Championship aside, this team is a disappointment
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 12:16:36 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
cannot stand the antics of what the nba has become today.  my hero was larry bird...and they NEVER did anything like what i witness today

hahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha Larry Bird was the biggest trash talker.

yea, thats laughable. bird was known as one of the most brutal trash talkers of all time. mabey not as quick to pound the chest, but more than willing to punch you in the face or talk trash to you all game.

but hey, Nostalgia's a hell of a drug.  ;)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 12:19:08 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I think KG being the selfless amazing lockerrom guy is all an act, as is him being a tough guy, act...I think for the most part Pierce has definetly changed, theres no doubt about it, he makes me very proud...KG Is embarrasing

what is this based on besides your dislike of KG thats been brought up in a ton of other threads?

If your going to call his current teamates, ex teamates, coaches, numerous in depth pieces written by both natonial, minnosiatian and bostonian media memebers about his leadership in question, im going to need more than

"yea, i know all eveidence is to the contrary, but i think he's a jerk and bad locker room guy"

KG just comes off as a fraud in so many ways to me, And I do like him, but the more and more you watch him, the more weaknesses become apparent...this is a guy that wont even admit he's 7 feet, and its just IMO that he gets too much credit for his 'leadership' ..it takes a strong player to even except KG's harsh 'leadership' ...I dont care what the media says, it comes off as an act, and what are his teammates/coaches suppose to say when asked about his leadeship? "no, hes actually mentally unstable, and we have to calm and sooth him actually"
of course not, they just stroke the highest paid player in the leagues ego a little more

so pretty much, it is based on your own personal (and in my mind irrational) dislike of KG in general, and no actual factual basis besides thinkign you know him better than everyone else and that his teamates, coaches, and the media lie to protect his image.

Thats your opnion of course, and your entitled to it, but i think i'll belive the people who see him on a daily basis, and the results i see on the floor.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 12:24:57 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I think KG being the selfless amazing lockerrom guy is all an act, as is him being a tough guy, act...I think for the most part Pierce has definetly changed, theres no doubt about it, he makes me very proud...KG Is embarrasing

what is this based on besides your dislike of KG thats been brought up in a ton of other threads?

If your going to call his current teamates, ex teamates, coaches, numerous in depth pieces written by both natonial, minnosiatian and bostonian media memebers about his leadership in question, im going to need more than

"yea, i know all eveidence is to the contrary, but i think he's a jerk and bad locker room guy"

KG just comes off as a fraud in so many ways to me, And I do like him, but the more and more you watch him, the more weaknesses become apparent...this is a guy that wont even admit he's 7 feet, and its just IMO that he gets too much credit for his 'leadership' ..it takes a strong player to even except KG's harsh 'leadership' ...I dont care what the media says, it comes off as an act, and what are his teammates/coaches suppose to say when asked about his leadeship? "no, hes actually mentally unstable, and we have to calm and sooth him actually"
of course not, they just stroke the highest paid player in the leagues ego a little more

so pretty much, it is based on your own personal (and in my mind irrational) dislike of KG in general, and no actual factual basis besides thinkign you know him better than everyone else and that his teamates, coaches, and the media lie to protect his image.

Thats your opnion of course, and your entitled to it, but i think i'll belive the people who see him on a daily basis, and the results i see on the floor.

Again, I don't dislike KG I just think he's becoming more of a character and alot if not all of his antics are just an act and maybe he should tone the WWE in his game down and just play ball
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 12:34:12 PM by TatteredOnMySleeve »
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 12:27:02 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I don't know, losing 4 out of 6 games (two wins coming against the high and mighty Kings and Wizards, lol) shows we're mentally too weak to develop resiliency.

If that's true, what does the 27-2 start say about us? Pretty much the opposite?

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 12:56:19 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
i have a hard time liking the nba today...and i believe part of the reason is here on this thread.

i'm not some "old fart" who's out of touch.  i'm only 36, but i cannot stand the antics of what the nba has become today.  my hero was larry bird...and they NEVER did anything like what i witness today.  i'm not out of touch, but maybe my idea of "respecting the game and your opponent" is just different.  but i don't like it.

That's why I love watching the Spurs.  They do their celebrating on the podium.  Otherwise, they play the game the way it should be played.  With precision and humility.

Again, I don't dislike KG I just think he's becoming more of a character and alot if not all of his antics are just an act and maybe he should tone the WWE in his game down and just play ball

Very fair analysis. See the above.  I don't dislike Garnett, either.  There seems to be less purpose to his game this year and more antics.  I said the same thing during the streak.  The kind of cockiness and shouting rubs off on teammates like Perk.  Perk, obviously, can't get away with the yapping that Garnett does.

We already have WWE officials.  We don't need WWE players to match.

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 01:07:21 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
cannot stand the antics of what the nba has become today.  my hero was larry bird...and they NEVER did anything like what i witness today

hahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha Larry Bird was the biggest trash talker.

yea, thats laughable. bird was known as one of the most brutal trash talkers of all time. mabey not as quick to pound the chest, but more than willing to punch you in the face or talk trash to you all game.

but hey, Nostalgia's a hell of a drug.  ;)

there is a difference between trash talking vs. and self-grandioso behavior.  yes, bird ran his mouth, but he never ran down the floor staring at the ceiling screaming his lungs out, beating on his chest, having these spastic convulsions and then running onto the scorers table screaming at the crowd and pointing his finger at himself reminding everyone how great he is.

bird played mind games with players...he was that [dang] good and he told them.  we all knew it...he never had to jump up and down and tell us.

you know, doc comes from bird's era...doc knows what happens on the court and what kind of behavior is appropriate.  if doc is asking them to tone it down, even he sees that a line has been crossed.  he's not telling his guys to shut up, but he's telling them there's a right way to do this.

guys like bird understood this...but most guys in today's nba do not.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 01:16:25 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
i have a hard time liking the nba today...and i believe part of the reason is here on this thread.

i'm not some "old fart" who's out of touch.  i'm only 36, but i cannot stand the antics of what the nba has become today.  my hero was larry bird...and they NEVER did anything like what i witness today.  i'm not out of touch, but maybe my idea of "respecting the game and your opponent" is just different.  but i don't like it.

That's why I love watching the Spurs.  They do their celebrating on the podium.  Otherwise, they play the game the way it should be played.  With precision and humility.

Very fair analysis. See the above.  I don't dislike Garnett, either.  There seems to be less purpose to his game this year and more antics.  I said the same thing during the streak.  The kind of cockiness and shouting rubs off on teammates like Perk.  Perk, obviously, can't get away with the yapping that Garnett does.

this is exactly how he's played for 14 years now, and all last year, so if you expect him to change so you can feel better, good luck.

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 01:32:26 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107

Its starting to rub the NBA the wrong way as well as opposing players and coaches, which just gives them added motivation to beat us and give KG a taste of his own medicine, which more often than not he cant handle
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2009, 01:41:34 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I'm surprised by some of the negativity towards KG.  Take KG away from this team and your dreaming of a championship and I think he has to play the way he does with emotion/antics whatever you want to call it to play at his highest level.  I remember a game last season against Sacramento where Doc asked KG to tone it down.  Doc mentioned it seemed to zap the energy out of him and he played a very subpar game.  Doc said never again will he ask KG to tone it down ( as long as there are no technicals) and I have to agree.  

For the OP saying this should be the greatest team ever.  Come on.  Russell's teams there were several HOFs, the Lakers and Celtics of the 80s had several HOF in their prime.   Maybe take the KG of 04, even Pierce of Allen of a few years ago, have Rondo and Perk in their prime and maybe we are getting somewhere.

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2009, 01:44:01 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
The title of this thread says it all...

"Championship aside, this team is a disappointment"... so, aside from achieving the highest possible goal in the sport, a dissapointment.  How is that possible?  Did you want them to win two championships in 1 year?  Maybe go undefeated?  I don't know.

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009, 02:03:49 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

this is exactly how he's played for 14 years now, and all last year, so if you expect him to change so you can feel better, good luck.

Actually it really isn't.  I watched a lot of Garnett's games in Minny both live and on TV and saw very little of the yapping.  There was the chest pounding and endless yelling to spur the crowd.  But the errant elbows, chippiness, and endless yapping is new to his Celtic career.  He's become much cockier and chippier being on a better team.  Probably both because he has an enforcer that he never did in Minny.

If he'd have yelled and yapped at Blount and Ricky the way he does at O'Bryant and Glenn Davis he may not have had to leave Minny to be a championship contender.  Their potential and talent dwarfs the teammates he's screaming at now.  Talent wise, the Wolves got a lopsided deal in the Wally trade.  That's why I think this godlike mentoring influence the majority of people in this blog seem to think he has is vastly overrated.  Rivers did that same classless public humiliation stuff to anybody but Paul back when he had bad teams.  It's not constructive to a winning environment. 

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I also couldn't disagree more with this.  We won last year simply on attitude.  We were the only team that brought it ever night, especially on the defensive end.  Cleveland had the best player on the court in that series and in my opinion the Lakers are a more talented team than we are.  We won simply because we outworked them and out toughed them on both ends of the court.

They do talk a lot, but who doesn't.  I know Larry Bird sure did.  KG's antics are out of control but without them he wouldn't be the player he is.

I am very proud to call myself a Celtics fan and cheering for this team night in and night out.

"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 02:08:31 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Actually it really isn't.  I watched a lot of Garnett's games in Minny both live and on TV and saw very little of the yapping.  There was the chest pounding and endless yelling to spur the crowd.  But the errant elbows, chippiness, and endless yapping is new to his Celtic career.  He's become much cockier and chippier being on a better team.  Probably both because he has an enforcer that he never did in Minny.

If he'd have yelled and yapped at Blount and Ricky the way he does at O'Bryant and Glenn Davis he may not have had to leave Minny to be a championship contender.  Their potential and talent dwarfs the teammates he's screaming at now.  Talent wise, the Wolves got a lopsided deal in the Wally trade.  That's why I think this godlike mentoring influence the majority of people in this blog seem to think he has is vastly overrated.  Rivers did that same classless public humiliation stuff to anybody but Paul back when he had bad teams.

sorry, thats just not true. Mabey you want it to be so you can make your compraision easier, but KG was legandary for his "intense antics" long before he put on a C's uniform. He's been one of my favroite players since he came into the league, and he has ALWAYS done these crazy things on the court.

I've watched him since day one, and he's always been crazy out thier on the court, and most guys in the league know its just the way he plays and not personal. But im sorry, to say he's suddenly diffrent and now "looks like he's in the WWE" is not anywhere near acurate. He's the same hyper intense guy that punched out a teamate for dogging it at practice 8 years ago.

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2009, 02:22:51 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
Where are these 'antics' that everybody's talking about?  He had two run-ins earlier in the season, one with Andrew Bogut and another with Jose Calderon.  They happened essentially one after the other, and now all of a sudden every thinks KG's a punk.  Ever since that incident, KG's been no different he was last year.  You also tried to pull Perkins into the guilty circle, and Perk hasn't received a T in what?  20 games?  

I also agree that trying to place the high horse label on Larry is laughable.  This is the guy where if he takes exception to a hard foul, he'll have started a fight before he even hits the floor.  

The one thing that I think has been correctly pointed at KG (and Perk too, for that matter) is swatting the blocked shots up to the nosebleed seats.  I'd actually attribute that to neither of them having played in the college game.  I've heard several college coaches say that one of the biggest habits they try to break their bigs of is trying to deflate the ball whenever they block a shot.  KG and Perk didn't go to college, so they never received this advice.  

I really don't understand the need for this thread.  I know you're frustrated.  We all are.  But a bad stretch of ball isn't the end of the world.  The team that won the championship last year is the same one that dropped three of four to the Wizards and Bobcats midway through the season.  Yet we know how that one ended.  

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2009, 02:32:32 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
Where are these 'antics' that everybody's talking about?  He had two run-ins earlier in the season, one with Andrew Bogut and another with Jose Calderon.  They happened essentially one after the other, and now all of a sudden every thinks KG's a punk.  Ever since that incident, KG's been no different he was last year.  You also tried to pull Perkins into the guilty circle, and Perk hasn't received a T in what?  20 games?  

I also agree that trying to place the high horse label on Larry is laughable.  This is the guy where if he takes exception to a hard foul, he'll have started a fight before he even hits the floor.  

The one thing that I think has been correctly pointed at KG (and Perk too, for that matter) is swatting the blocked shots up to the nosebleed seats.  I'd actually attribute that to neither of them having played in the college game.  I've heard several college coaches say that one of the biggest habits they try to break their bigs of is trying to deflate the ball whenever they block a shot.  KG and Perk didn't go to college, so they never received this advice.  

I really don't understand the need for this thread.  I know you're frustrated.  We all are.  But a bad stretch of ball isn't the end of the world.  The team that won the championship last year is the same one that dropped three of four to the Wizards and Bobcats midway through the season.  Yet we know how that one ended.  

TP, to have a thread that could easily be titled "dismiss all the good things we've done in the past year and a half, i want to grip about the last 2 weeks" is laughable.

Also, exponding on KG's "antics"-

What has changed about them from minny is that they are reported now and overanylized. No one cared if he waggled his finger at a PG during a run when his team was 20-40. Just like when you mention the string of beast games Big al is having right now, the casual fan goes "who?"

poster's real problem in this thread is that his antics are now on thier team and we get cricized for it. But don't delude yourselves, he's been doing it for his entire career. To me, its a non-issue, i love it. To others, its suddenly a problem because the media has decided its not "classy"