Author Topic: Championship aside, this team is a disappointment  (Read 16470 times)

Championship aside, this team is a disappointment
« on: January 05, 2009, 10:15:36 AM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
This team could be the greatest in NBA history based on sheer talent. I don't think any but 1 or 2 have even come close to the trio that is KG, Allen, and Pierce. Considering they're only a little past their primes, they could be the greatest collective talent in NBA history. And despite popular opinion, the surrounding players aren't so bad. Rondo and Perkins are solid for what their roles demand of them. Big Baby, Powe, and House are actually pretty good role players when they decide to play within their strengths and contribute. Very few title bound teams have had a weapon like Tony Allen that when energized could clear his own HOF worthy teammates out and flat out score. Technically, this COULD be the greatest team in NBA history, if they wanted to. Why aren't they then?

Simple: Attitude.

This team has the "wrong" kind of attitude. Put them in the "hubris" category that the Patriots of '07 were guilty as charged of when their initial self assurance and modesty turned into overconfidence. There's a reason the "other" bench laughs at us all the way to the tunnel after a not-so-hard fought loss. They shove in the fact that we're good, we know we're good, but lack the sheer firepower to carry it out on too many nights. Even looking at the wins of the last 1.5 years, there are too examples to see from that embody the lack of spirit and selfishness where we gave up leads, made it possible for them to generate huge runs to come close in an unfathomable way.

Real winners don't let this happen to them. People like to bring up the fact that for two years running, we've had the best W/L, but that stat alone is meaningless. W/L is more of a representation of preparation. And we're inherently more prepared than many other teams even when the opposition puts in "effort" while we don't because we're at a great advantage with our players. Like a team against MIL might fight us hard, but they lose for a reason, and it's not "heart."

I don't know, losing 4 out of 6 games (two wins coming against the high and mighty Kings and Wizards, lol) shows we're mentally too weak to develop resiliency. And it's not a talent issue. It may not even be a coaching issue. I just think our guys are a bunch of selfish egotistical losers who try to sell the notion that they're hard working, selfless guys all on the same page, but it's just not true. That's the root problem. And I think 98% of you will deny it, but it's true. The bad mouthing, "yapping" is just a surface example of the me-first attitude (personal agendas to show the world what they're made of... aka KG). As is the Ray Allen and Rondo confrontation during the LA game which resulted in Pierce shoving Ray aside to cut it out... but they clue you in on the lack of harmony between everybody on this team.

Re: Championship aside, this team is a disappointment
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 10:19:57 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Wow...  I have to disagree strongly.  The team has been together for one full season, and has won one championship.  This season, they got off to the best start in NBA history, despite having a terrible bench.  They're struggling right now, but I'm far from ready to write them off.

I don't have time to respond to your post in full right now, but I think it's over the top and reactionary.  Also, an aging KG, Pierce, and Allen aren't even close to the best threesome in NBA history; numerous Celtics and Lakers squads had much more talented threesomes.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 10:25:49 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Wow...  I have to disagree strongly.  The team has been together for one full season, and has won one championship.  This season, they got off to the best start in NBA history, despite having a terrible bench.  They're struggling right now, but I'm far from ready to write them off.

I don't have time to respond to your post in full right now, but I think it's over the top and reactionary.  Also, an aging KG, Pierce, and Allen aren't even close to the best threesome in NBA history; numerous Celtics and Lakers squads had much more talented threesomes.

TP!  All of this overreacting is certainly understandable and expected...but it doesn't mean it is necessary. 

This team is going to be fine.  They have some holes to fill, and they hit a rough spot (which every team hits at some point), but as long as there are no major injuries, they will be there at the end, fighting for another championship.

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 10:48:11 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I'm not dissappointed in this team at all.  They were going to hit a wall at some point.  They've hit it.

This year is more of a test than last year.  I'm sure Garnett's act is grinding on his teammates after awhile.  Garnett, his teammates, and his coaches need to stop the chest pounding and yapping at each other and focus on what they were focused on both last season and during the winning streak.

Garnett says he idolizes Russell.  He should be watching some of Russell's games.  When Russell blocked a shot, he tapped it to a teammate and started the break.  By the time Garnett is finished blocking a shot into the 5th row, pounding his chest, and screaming, Russell's Celtics were back on defense after finishing the break Russell started with the blocked shot.  That could have happened to us on 2 of Garnett's 5 blocks.  Can't help but love Garnett's exhuberence.  But when the Knicks score after inbounding after one of those Garnett blocks into the stands...and the subsequent celebration, it's more demoralizing to his own team.  Perk does the same thing.  Garnett is the unquestioned team leader.  It'd be nice if he was leading by example.

It's times like this that Rivers earns his money.  That's why the last thing he needs is to get further sidetracked by having to deal with an idiot like Marbury.  That kind of panic by management would guaranty an early exit in the playoffs.

This team is fine.  But it needs to refocus on the task at hand.  Garnett, the unquestioned leader, needs to channel his energy more purposefully.

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 10:50:59 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Very rarely does a team go through an ENTIRE season without hitting a bump in the road.

These last two weeks are simply that bump in the road. 

I have no alarm for concern yet regarding this team.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 11:01:14 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I think KG being the selfless amazing lockerrom guy is all an act, as is him being a tough guy, act...I think for the most part Pierce has definetly changed, theres no doubt about it, he makes me very proud...KG Is embarrasing
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 11:20:28 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
If KG wasn't in Celtic green, I'd call him a dirty and disrespectful player.

I don't mind KG's talking to other teams nor do I mind his profane mouth.

But I do mind the cheap shot elbows and illegal screens thrown at opposing players.

Bill Russel talked about how he would bring his teammates along and not push them.

I think that is what a leader really should do.

A leader leads from the front and not from the back.

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 11:22:17 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
OP is way over the top.
BUT, some things are disappointing-
TA has been awful all year. Time to give up on him- I used to support him, but his outside shot is worse than Rondo's and he basically commits an offensive foul on every drive just hoping to get a call.
Big Baby has been mostly ineffective.
Doc running plays for Perkins seems kind of insane to me. Yes, he's improved his offense tremendously, but come on. Having KG, PP, and Ray Allen stand and watch Perk go one-on-one is painful.
I think Doc still underutilizes Leon and Rondo.

So, disappointing?, not really.
Could this team, as constituted, win it all again? Yes- if the starters play 40 mins. apiece in the playoffs, and Ray Allen is hitting his shots. Is it a sure thing? Of course not. Very rarely, if ever, is one team head and shoulders above everyone else.

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 11:26:15 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
i have a hard time liking the nba today...and i believe part of the reason is here on this thread.

i'm not some "old fart" who's out of touch.  i'm only 36, but i cannot stand the antics of what the nba has become today.  my hero was larry bird...and they NEVER did anything like what i witness today.  i'm not out of touch, but maybe my idea of "respecting the game and your opponent" is just different.  but i don't like it.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 11:43:33 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

TP, and the thesis of this thread is laughable.

"well, i know they acheived something last year and to start this year that really makes my arguemtn look reactionary and weak, so lets throw that out."

::)

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 11:47:12 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I think KG being the selfless amazing lockerrom guy is all an act, as is him being a tough guy, act...I think for the most part Pierce has definetly changed, theres no doubt about it, he makes me very proud...KG Is embarrasing

what is this based on besides your dislike of KG thats been brought up in a ton of other threads?

If your going to call his current teamates, ex teamates, coaches, numerous in depth pieces written by both natonial, minnosiatian and bostonian media memebers about his leadership in question, im going to need more than

"yea, i know all eveidence is to the contrary, but i think he's a jerk and bad locker room guy"
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 12:00:51 PM »

Offline celticsmaniac

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 0
Constant explosions aside, Gaza is a really nice place to vacation right now.

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 12:05:38 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107

what is this based on besides your dislike of KG thats been brought up in a ton of other threads?

If your going to call his current teamates, ex teamates, coaches, numerous in depth pieces written by both natonial, minnosiatian and bostonian media memebers about his leadership in question, im going to need more than

"yea, i know all eveidence is to the contrary, but i think he's a jerk and bad locker room guy"

KG just comes off as a fraud in so many ways to me, And I do like him, but the more and more you watch him, the more weaknesses become apparent...this is a guy that wont even admit he's 7 feet, and its just IMO that he gets too much credit for his 'leadership' ..it takes a strong player to even except KG's harsh 'leadership' ...I dont care what the media says, it comes off as an act, and what are his teammates/coaches suppose to say when asked about his leadeship? "no, hes actually mentally unstable, and we have to calm and sooth him actually"
of course not, they just stroke the highest paid player in the leagues ego a little more
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 12:09:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I love the loyalty being shown to the guy who was the main reason this team won a championship last year after 22 often futile years of laboring in the muck with most of the dregs of the league. Garnett has earned a little bit more love than the instant turning the other cheek treatment he is getting here in this thread because people like over reacting to a team stumbling a little bit.

As for the OP. If you have a problem with this team you can always go watch the games of and cheer on Boston Celtic-lite, the Minnesota Timberwolves. They might win 20 games this year and just think their season will end just in time for you to catch the end of spring training with your favorite baseball team.

I meanwhile will be watching this bad attitude team that disappoints you so much play basketball deep into June, thank you.

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 12:10:09 PM »

Offline celticsmaniac

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 0
cannot stand the antics of what the nba has become today.  my hero was larry bird...and they NEVER did anything like what i witness today

hahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha Larry Bird was the biggest trash talker.