Author Topic: LeBron Called for Travelling  (Read 19453 times)

Re: LeBron Called for Travelling
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2009, 10:57:14 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Until the refs stop looking at the names on the back (and front) of the jerseys and start enforcing the rules consistently, there are going to continue to be these arguments.

Very well said.  The reason that it's so much worse with the Drama Queen is that it's so brazenly obvious with him.

Pierce, Nash, Bryant, iverson, carter, mcGrady, Wade, and Anthony can move both pivot feet and/or get 2 steps.  That's ridiculous. The Drama Queen,  Nash, Iverson, and Wade get an extra step on their so-called crossovers.  It's funny to see the exhasperated looks on their faces when the officials actually call some kind of moving violation.

The Drama Queen has forgotten the rulebook definition of a pivot foot.  He doesn't have a pivot foot.  Actually, he's forgotten the entire basketball rulebook.   He hasn't needed to know since his rookie year.  The way he is officiated is a collossal embarrassment.

Tony lowers his head, and tries to run right through guys who have had position since before he even put the ball on the floor.  Lebron, Pierce, and other players like them ussually beat guys to the spot, and do not hit them head on (which is why they also are much more likely to get the "and 1" than Tony).

Nobody gets within 3 feet of the Drama Queen when he "drives" to the basket to stay out of foul trouble.  There is usually nobody at the spot for the Drama Queen to beat.  The Drama Queen, Pierce, and other players also get steps to get to the spot that Tony and other average NBA players never get.  The Queen just gets way more steps than anybody else.

Because of all of the above, the officiating is a collossal embarrassment, period.

« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2009, 11:03:15 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Nobody gets within 3 feet of the Drama Queen when he "drives" to the basket to stay out of foul trouble.  There is usually nobody at the spot for the Drama Queen to beat.  The Drama Queen, Pierce, and other players also get steps to get to the spot that Tony and other average NBA players never get.  The Queen just gets way more steps than anybody else.

Because of all of the above, the officiating is a collossal embarrassment, period.

Again, just take Tony out of the argument, and I will agree with you.  Just about every time he gets called for charging, I am ready to call it myself before the whistle blows.  In general, you are right, but Tony earns his calls fair and square.

« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2009, 11:06:04 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Again, just take Tony out of the argument, and I will agree with you.  Just about every time he gets called for charging, I am ready to call it myself before the whistle blows.  In general, you are right, but Tony earns his calls fair and square.

If all of the above earned their's and the whistles actually blew every time, we'd be getting our kids ready for school in the morning about the end of the third quarter of their games.  Can you imagine how many whistles the Queen would draw if the rulebook applied to him?

« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2009, 11:09:15 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

If all of the above earned their's and the whistles actually blew every time, we'd be getting our kids ready for school in the morning about the end of the third quarter of their games.  Can you imagine how many whistles the Queen would draw if the rulebook applied to him?

Fair point, but the difference is he plays the way the refs let him.  It works for him, so he keeps doing it.  Same with Pierce.  They know they are going to get the calls, so they continue to drive that way.  On the other hand, Tony should know by now that he won't get the call, so he needs to actually  try to avoid running guys over.

« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2009, 11:21:49 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Fair point, but the difference is he plays the way the refs let him.  It works for him, so he keeps doing it.  Same with Pierce.  They know they are going to get the calls, so they continue to drive that way.  On the other hand, Tony should know by now that he won't get the call, so he needs to actually  try to avoid running guys over.

Well said and absolutely true, Chris.

« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2009, 11:26:37 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
It's called the Crab Dribble! ****!

LeBron James called the move he made when going for a potential tying layup at the end of regulation on Sunday night a 'crab dribble', but the referees called the move a violation, and Washington was able to escape with a win over the Cavaliers.

According to the Washington Post, there has been much debate over whether James traveled on the play or if it was legal. Even after watching the replay several times James believes it was a bad call while on the flipside the Wizards think that justice prevailed.

Wizards' duo Caron Butler, who was guarding James on the play, and Antawn Jamison had some fun with the situation.

"Yeah, a crab dribble is when you travel," Butler said with a grin yesterday. "That's my boy, and that's the hottest thing on the market now, the crab dribble travel. . . . I couldn't do it in AAU, couldn't do it in college, and obviously, I can't do it now."

Before the call was even made, Jamison was rolling his arms asking for a traveling call. Does he know what a crab dribble is?

"I don't know, but I know what traveling is," Jamison said. "He said he's seen the play a couple of times and didn't think he traveled, but we all know what traveling is. They got tape to prove the history of that signature move that he has, but it was a travel, hands down. When he beats us on end-of-game situations or finds a way to get it done, we give him credit, but it didn't happen [Sunday] and the right call was called."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/56413/20090106/wizards_poke_fun_at_lebrons_crab_dribble/
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2009, 12:40:13 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
OK so it is fairly understood that superstars or stars get some sort of preferential treatment.

Why change now?

Why make that call on Lebron? Ain't he a superstar?

Are refs trying to be "honest" officials now?

No, I am not buying it.

« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2009, 01:16:33 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
 http://www.cavfanatic.com/go/thread/view/3816/12969275/did_he_or_did_he_not_travel?num=10&pg=7

This si a great thread. most of the posters know the NBA rules and admit it was a pretty clear travel, but question the timing of the call (legit, we'd do the same thing if it was one of our guys) its great for posts like this one though:

"It was NOT a travel. A travel only happens if you take two steps without jumping AFTER picking up the ball with both hands, not one. You can see in the video his first step of the three he still has only one hand on the ball, and its still pointed down, not palmed upward. the count shouldn't have started until he touched it with the other hand"

If that was the rule, rondo would be unstoppable with his alien hands, he'd never have to touch the ball with two. He could just palm it so it was facing downward and run around the key without dribbling.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2009, 01:17:07 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
OK so it is fairly understood that superstars or stars get some sort of preferential treatment.

Why change now?

No, I am not buying it.

so you would prefer its never called on anyone then, since that would be more consistant?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 01:26:10 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2009, 01:34:35 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315

Why change now?

No, I am not buying it.

so you would prefer its never called on anyone then, since that would be more consistant?

Yes, or consistently keep calling it throughout the course of the game and every game.

I prefer the players get used to the new style or proper officiating.

If not, I prefer the refs not call that travel because I wan Paul or Ray to get the same benefit at the end of the game if they ever need to make that drive for a game tying on winning basket.

« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2009, 01:43:34 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235

Why change now?

No, I am not buying it.

Yes, or consistently keep calling it throughout the course of the game and every game.

I prefer the players get used to the new style or proper officiating.

If not, I prefer the refs not call that travel because I wan Paul or Ray to get the same benefit at the end of the game if they ever need to make that drive for a game tying on winning basket.

Your position seems to be changing.  On the one hand you say you want consistency, but on the other you say you want big name players to be able to finish the play if it's at the end of the game.

This makes no sense to me.  Then you need two rule books, one for the regular game and one for the last two minutes of a close game.  They already have those, and another rule book for players with big names. 

I think what any fan of the game of basketball wants to see in the NBA is flat rules that are enforced equally for all players.

The reason so many people in this thread are hating on Lebron isn't because we only want to see it enforced on Lebron, but because he is the league's #1 most blatant offender, and because it is so obviously a product of his hype machine.  It's very very frustrating, and frankly even from the comi$$ioner's point of view it seems like a bad decision.  What happens if you are a fan of one of the 20+ franchises that does not have a superstar?  You are supposed to watch your team get robbed night in and night out, and that's fun?

What if your team does not have a Lebron, a Pierce or a Kobe?  You don't get to win a title?  That's ridiculous, and that goes against everything competitive sports stand for.  That is just entertainment.  I for one don't have any interest in paying to see more dramatic versions of the globe trotters vs. the generals.

« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2009, 08:22:21 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Why change now?

No, I am not buying it.

This is what Lebron thinks.  Lebron had said about the "Crab Dribble" that he does this all the time! That's pretty bold, don't you think?  He's pretty much telling the refs that he travels all the time and they never call it so why call it now. Now that he's getting travels call on him, maybe the refs are mad that Lebron outed them by confirming that the refs were letting him get away with travels all the time. ****!  He got called for the Crab Dribble again last night. ;D
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2009, 08:17:43 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
The timing this would be a good point, but in my opinion this metaphor applies:

If a criminal robs a house every day for 9 days, and on the 10th day he doesn't.  Then the police arrest him for committing robbery on the 10th day... well that's ok with me.  Yeah, in a perfect world he'd be caught on one of the 9 days, but that 10th is better than never catching him at all.

« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2009, 09:52:34 PM »

Offline Slugger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
The timing this would be a good point, but in my opinion this metaphor applies:

If a criminal robs a house every day for 9 days, and on the 10th day he doesn't.  Then the police arrest him for committing robbery on the 10th day... well that's ok with me.  Yeah, in a perfect world he'd be caught on one of the 9 days, but that 10th is better than never catching him at all.

My wife tells me i'm probably the worst in the world at using metaphors.

I'm going to show her this post to prove i'm not.

TP Shupac  ;)

« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2009, 10:14:10 PM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
I think some of the posts in this thread calling Lebron a drama queen are a bit over the top. The key is,as mentioned is that it is not that Lebron is breaking the rules, it is that the refs are not enforcing the rules. It's not his fault that they don't call illegal plays on him. What do you guys want him to do after one of his travels? Throw the ball to the other team and walk up to the refs and said he just made a crab dribble which is really a travel? Come on... This is all David Stern not being able to consistently manage the NBA product.