Author Topic: LeBron Called for Travelling  (Read 19455 times)

Re: LeBron Called for Travelling
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
Agreed the offensive foul was a bad call.  But there have been so many hundreds of bad no-calls or even defensive fouls called when Lebron charges into people, it's just a tiny bit of karma.  Please stop your Lebron love for 2 seconds and realize why so many people hate  :P

As for the Wizards' fans... well I'd be pretty bitter if I was them.  They should have group therapy sessions with Sacramento Kings fans from the start of this decade.  Stress from having officials completely rob your team and a league that doesn't do dip about it.

Please realize that your first paragraph could be said about KG, and Pierce as well.  Lets not pretend they don't get favorable calls. 

Wizards have been robbed by the refs?  Why?  because of one missed traveling call in 3 years?  The refs let them mug Lebron last year in the playoffs, to the point where it was getting ridiculous.

Re-read your first paragraph and compare it to mine.  Your logic is flawed because you might notice I didn't mention KG or Pierce.  Saying "but it happens with this guy!" doesn't mean it doesn't happen with Lebron, the person we are talking about that.

Aside from that, no, KG and PP do not get the number of calls Lebron does.  No one in the league gets calls the way Lebron does.  I live in Ohio, and even some people here (coincidentally, "some" people tend to be the ones that actually watched basketball BEFORE Lebron) admit he gets all the calls.  This is not a homer issue, don't assume it is one and lean on that as your argument.

And the Wizards were robbed by the refs for more than just one travelling call.  Of course, that one travelling call epitomizes the officiating in the series where Lebron takes *FIVE* steps before laying it in.  FIVE steps.  That is ridiculous.

And to Guava - great, he's been called for travelling before (not that I've seen, but I'll trust you).  That doesn't mean he hasn't NOT been called for it many times when he does.

LB3533 - just a respectful disagreement.  Long before the NBA officials stopped consistently calling traveling, the games went on.  They didn't take an extra hour.  All that happened was they stopped calling it, so they players took advantage of it.  If they started enforcing the rule (or more accurately, enforcing it for all players) all that would happen is those players would have to learn to compensate.

So far most of the arguments saying against this thread have just been "ya'll hate".  That's it.  Well, yes, I do hate.  That doesn't mean I'm wrong.  Same with the other posters here.

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2009, 04:04:39 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
KG, Pierce and other stars get respect from the refs but now and then they get calls go against them while Lebron is always guaranteed to be on the winning end of questionable calls in crunchtime as evidenced by the complete overreaction of Mike Brown to that charge. It was a bad call but I think his ejection was fortuitous as I don't know what would have happened if he was there when that travel was called.

Lebron gets just as many calls against him as KG and Pierce.  Lebron fouled out earlier this year, when is the last time KG or Pierce did that?

I don't think Lebron fouling out once this season proves he gets as many calls. Pierce and Garnett both average more fouls than him in fewer minutes.

Lebron averages 1.97 fouls per game.  KG averages 2.03 fouls and Pierce averages 2.71 fouls per game.  Not huge discrepancies there.  You may want to rethink your argument

That's not my argument I was just using that to dispute that 1 fouling out game was not proof of Lebron getting as many fouls. My original statement was about calls made in close games which was based on this Wiz game being the first one all season I've seen the call in a close game go against Lebron as I admit I do not know where to find the statistics support or refute that.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 04:24:55 PM by twinbree »
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2009, 04:08:38 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Agreed the offensive foul was a bad call.  But there have been so many hundreds of bad no-calls or even defensive fouls called when Lebron charges into people, it's just a tiny bit of karma.  Please stop your Lebron love for 2 seconds and realize why so many people hate  :P

As for the Wizards' fans... well I'd be pretty bitter if I was them.  They should have group therapy sessions with Sacramento Kings fans from the start of this decade.  Stress from having officials completely rob your team and a league that doesn't do dip about it.

Please realize that your first paragraph could be said about KG, and Pierce as well.  Lets not pretend they don't get favorable calls. 

Wizards have been robbed by the refs?  Why?  because of one missed traveling call in 3 years?  The refs let them mug Lebron last year in the playoffs, to the point where it was getting ridiculous.

Re-read your first paragraph and compare it to mine.  Your logic is flawed because you might notice I didn't mention KG or Pierce.  Saying "but it happens with this guy!" doesn't mean it doesn't happen with Lebron, the person we are talking about that.

Aside from that, no, KG and PP do not get the number of calls Lebron does.  No one in the league gets calls the way Lebron does.  I live in Ohio, and even some people here (coincidentally, "some" people tend to be the ones that actually watched basketball BEFORE Lebron) admit he gets all the calls.  This is not a homer issue, don't assume it is one and lean on that as your argument.

And the Wizards were robbed by the refs for more than just one travelling call.  Of course, that one travelling call epitomizes the officiating in the series where Lebron takes *FIVE* steps before laying it in.  FIVE steps.  That is ridiculous.

And to Guava - great, he's been called for travelling before (not that I've seen, but I'll trust you).  That doesn't mean he hasn't NOT been called for it many times when he does.

LB3533 - just a respectful disagreement.  Long before the NBA officials stopped consistently calling traveling, the games went on.  They didn't take an extra hour.  All that happened was they stopped calling it, so they players took advantage of it.  If they started enforcing the rule (or more accurately, enforcing it for all players) all that would happen is those players would have to learn to compensate.

So far most of the arguments saying against this thread have just been "ya'll hate".  That's it.  Well, yes, I do hate.  That doesn't mean I'm wrong.  Same with the other posters here.

Schupac KILLED IT    ;D
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2009, 04:17:10 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff

I'll add some more hatin to this post. He traveled on the game tying layup just before so he was due at least one travel call  ;D

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2009, 08:43:13 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
The Wizards take on it:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/01/05/lebron.crabdribble.ap/index.html

The whole "Wizards hate Cavs" thing is getting a little tired, but some of these quotes are great.

On Sunday, James said it was a "bad call" and that "they need to look at it and they need to understand that's not a travel."

In giving his take on what happened, James said: "I watched it again, and I took a 'crab dribble,' which is a hesitation dribble, and then two steps."

Asked Monday if he knows what a "crab dribble" is, Wizards All-Star forward Antawn Jamison said, "I know what a traveling is. ... I think we all know what traveling is."

and

"I'll have to check in my book to see what a 'crab dribble' is. I'm not quite sure," Washington interim coach Ed Tapscott said with a smile Monday. "I do know that we don't seem to get away with very many of them, whatever they are."

and the ref's take:

Referee Bill Spooner waved off the play and called the violation. Asked to clarify his ruling, Spooner wrote in an e-mail to a pool reporter: "3 steps on the move to the basket. Basic travel call."

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2009, 09:38:47 PM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
On that final possession against the Wizards. Firstly, I'm delighted they lost, hopefully we can take advantage of that against NY. Secondly, wow - he actually got called for it? On a critical play? A new years resolution for the refs, maybe?

Orlando lost too which is good for us, I really hope we can take advantage of it tonight.
I know the game was at the Wizards and I didn't see the play. But hurray for a gutsy call by the officials, finally. The only thing that would be better would be if the call was made in Cleveland (some chance). I also wonder if it was the same refs who called our Portland game.

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2009, 09:54:18 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
On that final possession against the Wizards. Firstly, I'm delighted they lost, hopefully we can take advantage of that against NY. Secondly, wow - he actually got called for it? On a critical play? A new years resolution for the refs, maybe?

Orlando lost too which is good for us, I really hope we can take advantage of it tonight.
I know the game was at the Wizards and I didn't see the play. But hurray for a gutsy call by the officials, finally. The only thing that would be better would be if the call was made in Cleveland (some chance). I also wonder if it was the same refs who called our Portland game.

Why would it be the refs who called the Portland game? If they are the same refs-- I'm surprised-- because those refs were too timid to reverse an indisputably wrong call in the favor of the visiting team.

Back to LeBron's traveling--

Lebron travels on 60% of his drives. He gets called for it, I don't know, 8% of the time. That's a lot of plays where he has a BIG advantage. How big? Well,remember when Josh Smith had that huge travel in the open court a few weeks ago? He just weaved his way through the D, a la LeBron, and laid it in. That play never would have been finished if Smith had only taken two steps. It would have been blocked, or he would've been fouled and had to earn it from the line. Instead, he scores easily. When your 6'8, 270, being able to play running back is a huge advantage, and one that makes Lebron's star shine a lot brighter. Probably 6 to 8 points brighter per game.

I know Pierce and KG do travel from time to time, but its nothing like Lebron's travels. Lebron will start a drive from 3 feet behind the 3pt line, take one dribble, and then weave his way to the basket. Kg occasionally switches pivot feet, or takes a step before dribbling. Paul travels very rarely, because his footwork is really, really superb. When he does, its one step before he starts dribbling.

We are talking about whole different WORLDS of traveling in terms of frequency and egregiousness. Lebron consistently gets away with the traveling equivalent of murder, while Pierce and KG get away with the traveling equivalent of assault and battery, and with far less consistency.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2009, 10:12:26 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
The Wizards take on it:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/01/05/lebron.crabdribble.ap/index.html

The whole "Wizards hate Cavs" thing is getting a little tired, but some of these quotes are great.

On Sunday, James said it was a "bad call" and that "they need to look at it and they need to understand that's not a travel."

In giving his take on what happened, James said: "I watched it again, and I took a 'crab dribble,' which is a hesitation dribble, and then two steps."

Asked Monday if he knows what a "crab dribble" is, Wizards All-Star forward Antawn Jamison said, "I know what a traveling is. ... I think we all know what traveling is."

and

"I'll have to check in my book to see what a 'crab dribble' is. I'm not quite sure," Washington interim coach Ed Tapscott said with a smile Monday. "I do know that we don't seem to get away with very many of them, whatever they are."

and the ref's take:

Referee Bill Spooner waved off the play and called the violation. Asked to clarify his ruling, Spooner wrote in an e-mail to a pool reporter: "3 steps on the move to the basket. Basic travel call."

My favorite one from the ref "it called itself" And I can't believe this call that most people would agree was a travel is getting more press than the 6 men on court basket.

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2009, 02:30:29 AM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
The Wizards take on it:

and

and the ref's take:

My favorite one from the ref "it called itself" And I can't believe this call that most people would agree was a travel is getting more press than the 6 men on court basket.

It's hard for me to decide about the press.  I think it is split between pure Lebron lovers who legitimately can't believe it was called, and a larger number of basketball fans and pundits who are poking fun at the fact that it's never called.

Now that we've identified and addressed the problem, we can all rest assured that comi$$ioner Stern will take care of it posthaste!  That is, as soon as he finishes telling us how much the NBA cares (estimate - 2014).

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2009, 08:25:07 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
There are more clear "3 steps" not called traveling and the refs think that "it called itself"....please!

If they are going to call that a  travel then you can probably shave off 2-4 +1 points per game off of Kobe, D-Wade, Lebron's and any other baller in the NBA who drives to the rim.

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2009, 08:32:37 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
There are more clear "3 steps" not called traveling and the refs think that "it called itself"....please!

If they are going to call that a  travel then you can probably shave off 2-4 +1 points per game off of Kobe, D-Wade, Lebron's and any other baller in the NBA who drives to the rim.

that doesn't change the fact that this was a good call.

Just because a ton of people get away with it (and they do) doesn't mean they should have patted lebron on the head and been like "nice job champ!"

I wish every obvious travel got called, but i'll take what i can get you know?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2009, 09:27:45 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315

Just because a ton of people get away with it (and they do) doesn't mean they should have patted lebron on the head and been like "nice job champ!"

I don't like inconsistency.

If it's a travel, call the travel, if it's not...don't call it.

Making stuff up or picking and choosing is awful.

It's like when refs blow the foul after the player misses the shot.....ridiculous!

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2009, 09:53:10 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

It's like when refs blow the foul after the player misses the shot.....ridiculous!

I agree that the inconsistency is what can be infuriating, but that inconsistency comes almost exclusively from letting the superstars get away with murder and following the rules to a T (and many times beyond) against the lesser name players.

I know we all get anxious when Tony Allen has the ball and think he's careless with it (and many times he is), but I can assure you that if his name was LeBron James, we'd have a much different impression on the kind of player he is.  The offensive fouls he gets called for when bumping a man trying to be him to a spot are things that LeBron and other superstars (even Pierce at times) do on a regular basis game after game.

Until the refs stop looking at the names on the back (and front) of the jerseys and start enforcing the rules consistently, there are going to continue to be these arguments.

But the whole hoopla over the LeBron thing just shows how much beneficial treatment the guy gets.  That was a clear travel.  Not only did he take 3 steps, he took three BIG steps.

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2009, 10:12:40 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I agree that the inconsistency is what can be infuriating, but that inconsistency comes almost exclusively from letting the superstars get away with murder and following the rules to a T (and many times beyond) against the lesser name players.

I know we all get anxious when Tony Allen has the ball and think he's careless with it (and many times he is), but I can assure you that if his name was LeBron James, we'd have a much different impression on the kind of player he is.  The offensive fouls he gets called for when bumping a man trying to be him to a spot are things that LeBron and other superstars (even Pierce at times) do on a regular basis game after game.

Until the refs stop looking at the names on the back (and front) of the jerseys and start enforcing the rules consistently, there are going to continue to be these arguments.

But the whole hoopla over the LeBron thing just shows how much beneficial treatment the guy gets.  That was a clear travel.  Not only did he take 3 steps, he took three BIG steps.

4 if you want to count the pivot foot switch, he's picked up the dribble at that point.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2009, 10:31:36 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Although I agree with the overall point, I think this is a bad example.  What Tony does is very different from what guys like Lebron and Pierce do.  Tony lowers his head, and tries to run right through guys who have had position since before he even put the ball on the floor.  Lebron, Pierce, and other players like them ussually beat guys to the spot, and do not hit them head on (which is why they also are much more likely to get the "and 1" than Tony).