Author Topic: If Marbury signs with Boston, does TA or House become trade bait?  (Read 9032 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
With Marbury to anchor our bench as the 6th man I think one of these 2 players will be dealt. Tony Allen has more trade value because he is still young and could develop into a starter somewhere else.

Now we could probably package a combo of

TA or House
Scal
BBD or POB

and get a backup center we are looking for that makes in the 5-6 mil range .

Re: If Marbury signs with Boston, does TA or House become trade bait?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 12:31:19 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think they are both trade bait whether Marbury comes here or not.  If they can turn them into a better player, then they will be traded, regardless of whether Marbury, Pruitt, or Cassell is taking their minutes.

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 12:34:33 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think they are both trade bait whether Marbury comes here or not.  If they can turn them into a better player, then they will be traded, regardless of whether Marbury, Pruitt, or Cassell is taking their minutes.

Agreed.  Good luck getting a team to give of us something of value for Tony, House, BBD, or anybody else, though.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 12:39:03 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Agreed.  Good luck getting a team to give of us something of value for Tony, House, BBD, or anybody else, though.

I guess the hope is that we can find value in another teams garbage.  If you can find a crappy team that wants to dump a certain player, who happens to fit a need for us, and we could save them some cash in the process, it may be possible. 

I certainly am not counting on it though.

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 12:40:37 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I don't think I like the idea of moving Eddie. After Ray Allen, we don't really have too many great shooters. Spacing the floor is an important part of the game, and when you can do so with Ray Allen and Eddie House, it's not a bad thing.

I just don't like Eddie playing PG.

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 12:41:44 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Of course they'll be trade bait. They're on good contracts and should be attractive to other teams with the correct package. The important part is being able to replace the 'unique' skills from the bench.

Tony was our perimeter defender in the 2/3 mold, and he's able to create. There's always JR and Walker if they're found to be ready.

House with his perimeter shooting. There's always Pruitt.

So, even though we don't have players in our roster that we should have complete confidence in to serve those roles, they're not that bad of an option to fall back on if the consequence of a trade is an improvement of talent over TA or House or whomever to fill other needs that our roster may have.

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 12:44:16 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
It would mean that Tony is no longer the biggest airhead on the C's.

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 01:11:51 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
With Marbury to anchor our bench as the 6th man I think one of these 2 players will be dealt. Tony Allen has more trade value because he is still young and could develop into a starter somewhere else.

Now we could probably package a combo of

TA or House
Scal
BBD or POB

and get a backup center we are looking for that makes in the 5-6 mil range .

I don't want to sound rude, but what do you think you could get for that package? If anyone wanted TA or Eddie they could have signed them, as they were both free agents at the end of last season, as was O'Bryant for that matter. The same O'Bryant who is getting no run with a team that is despreate for a back up big. I really don't see Davis, a former second round, undersized power forward as having much value. As for Scal, maybe, just maybe, he might be of some interest if he was an expiring contract.
I don't know. Maybe Powe would help but to tell the truth, he hasn't been much of a factor either. I really don't see what pieces you could put together from this bench to entice anyone into giving up a desent big man.

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 01:22:11 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The whole "if someone wanted them they could've signed them" theory is complete bull crap. I wouldn't be surprised if they had better offeres from other teams around the league than what the Celtics offered them. You also have to consider that signing someone as a free-agent, first of all, diminishes the resources teams have to pursue other interests. Secondly it's salary that gets ADDED to the payroll. Via a trade, it's not the same because as you get assets you trade some away at the same time so the financial situation doesn't get affected much in the short term.

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 01:25:10 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

What they said.

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 01:34:27 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
A combo of BBD, TA, and Giddens could get us a serviceable big oaf to go out there and fill the middle. Especially one that is on an expiring contract that they don't think will re-sign. Why wouldn't OK do that for Joe Smith rather than cut him? They could throw in a pick if needed as well if they had to.

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 01:40:30 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Trade away TA without getting a wing in return and the bench will be in much bigger trouble than it is now.

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 01:49:43 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
A combo of BBD, TA, and Giddens could get us a serviceable big oaf to go out there and fill the middle. Especially one that is on an expiring contract that they don't think will re-sign. Why wouldn't OK do that for Joe Smith rather than cut him? They could throw in a pick if needed as well if they had to.

Why give up a promising rookie for a "serviceable big oaf"?  (I'm high on Giddens, btw :D).  We can get that guy without giving up any players.... Scott Pollard.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 01:54:29 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Why give up a promising rookie for a "serviceable big oaf"?  (I'm high on Giddens, btw :D).  We can get that guy without giving up any players.... Scott Pollard.

I know you aren't the one who said it, but Joe Smith is nothing close to a serviceable big oaf.  He would immediately be the 6th best player on our team.  As recently as last year, he was a major player on a very good playoff team.

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 02:07:17 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

What they said.

Well what are you guys expecting us to get in return? of course we aren't going to get a all star big man back, set your sights lower. Think of a Joe Smith, Nazr Mohammed type player. I would even throw in giddens or walker to get joe smith if we have to

Bos sends:TA, Giddens or Walker and BBD or Pob

Bos recieves: Joe Smith

our bench would be soo much better and our roster would look like this :

PG: Rondo/ Maurbury/ Pruitt
SG: Ray/ Eddie / Maurbury
SF: PP / Giddens or Walker
PF: KG / Powe
 C: Perk/ Joe Smith

I think Pruitt can easily take TA's minutes, he has shown he has good foot speed to stay in front of his man and has a good outside shot.