Author Topic: Is it 1987 All Over Again (re: Celtics's Bench)?  (Read 2744 times)

Is it 1987 All Over Again (re: Celtics's Bench)?
« on: January 01, 2009, 12:35:54 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
A little something to discuss on New Year's since there are no NBA games today. Are we seeing a repeat of 1987 right now. That year you had a defending champion Celtics team with a great starting line-up but a weak bench, something that hurt them in the end. Is this a comparable situation?

Re: Is it 1987 All Over Again (re: Celtics's Bench)?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 01:54:19 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
minus all the injuries...

i would say, yes, it does.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 01:56:36 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
That '87 team was decimated by injuries and the fact they even made the Finals was remarkable.  If they had stayed healthy, that bench looks a lot more formidable.

This current incarnation of the bench is healthy but just very erratic.  It still could be enough to carry them to the title, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 02:42:41 PM »

Offline tb727

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
This is an excellent comparison in my opinion.  This is actually something I mentioned 10 games into this season.

That 87 bench is probably what prevented the Celts from winning it all.  Think of it: 1986 6th man of the year Bill Walton is a non-factor.  The 6th man in 2008 James Posey is no longer here.

A lot of similarities in my opinion. TP for opening post.
Jay Wingspan Bilas

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 02:49:21 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
This is an excellent comparison in my opinion.  This is actually something I mentioned 10 games into this season.

That 87 bench is probably what prevented the Celts from winning it all.  Think of it: 1986 6th man of the year Bill Walton is a non-factor.  The 6th man in 2008 James Posey is no longer here.

A lot of similarities in my opinion. TP for opening post.

excapt that that bench looked alot worse than it was due to a rash of injuries.

If knock on wood, we avoid injuries to starters, than no, its not the same. If we don't, sure, it will. If we get injured up front and bench guys have to step up to starting status, then am average bench will become a weak bench.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 03:11:20 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
It is too soon to make comparisons of the 2009 Celtics to the 1987 Celtics which had to fight through massive numbers of injuries at made it as far as a seven point halftime lead in Game 6 of the NBA finals. The bench still had Jerry Schisting, Fred Roberts?,  Scott Wedman, Greg Kite (no offensive threat but he limited Kareem Abdul Jabber at least in Game 3). I think the 1987 bench is better than this outfit of Tony Allen, Leon Powe, Glen Davis, and Eddie House. Lately we have been missing Posey. I have seen all the trade scenarios and I really don't like any of them. Our best bet maybe to interview Antione Walker and see if he can still give us anywhere near the capability lost when Posey left.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 03:40:14 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Why do people say Posey was our 6th man? Hmm.. he was our best bench player, but he didnt come off the bench first every night and he isnt like a manu ginobli for the spurs or anything, plenty of nights he came off the bench as a 7th or 8th man
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 03:45:05 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
To carry that comparison through KG would have to be playing on one foot for the playoffs, and Posey would still be on the roster but basically incapacitated.
Yup

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 03:48:19 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Yeah, I know its not perfect but I felt a comparison could be made. I expect to see one article about this very idea before the end of the season.

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 04:01:29 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Why do people say Posey was our 6th man? Hmm.. he was our best bench player, but he didnt come off the bench first every night and he isnt like a manu ginobli for the spurs or anything, plenty of nights he came off the bench as a 7th or 8th man
You don't have to be the first player of the bench to be consider the 6th man. You just have to be the best bench player.

Ginobili is a special case, because he plays long minutes and often comes in early. Most players are subbed by position, not by pecking order. Posey was our 6th man. He was the most important guy off the bench. He wasn't going to be the 6th guy in the game since KG usually sits first, or Perk in the case where he gets early fouls (often the case in the past).

I don't think we should get hung up on the injury aspect when considering the analogy in the thread. No comparison is 100%. The key point was that the starters may have been the best 5 in the league, but the bench cost them.

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 04:44:22 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
To carry that comparison through KG would have to be playing on one foot for the playoffs, and Posey would still be on the roster but basically incapacitated.

well, tony plays with half a brain and perk is one shoulder injury away from a near worst case scenario for this team...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 06:57:59 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
It is too soon to make comparisons of the 2009 Celtics to the 1987 Celtics which had to fight through massive numbers of injuries at made it as far as a seven point halftime lead in Game 6 of the NBA finals. The bench still had Jerry Schisting, Fred Roberts?,  Scott Wedman, Greg Kite (no offensive threat but he limited Kareem Abdul Jabber at least in Game 3). I think the 1987 bench is better than this outfit of Tony Allen, Leon Powe, Glen Davis, and Eddie House. Lately we have been missing Posey. I have seen all the trade scenarios and I really don't like any of them. Our best bet maybe to interview Antione Walker and see if he can still give us anywhere near the capability lost when Posey left.

what would he provide that posey did?

He doesn't defend, doesn't pass, doesn't run the floor, and certainly doesn't rebound like posey anymore.

The only thing they have in common are they shoot the three ball, and posey does that better.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion