Author Topic: Morrison and Hollins or Howard  (Read 5169 times)

Morrison and Hollins or Howard
« on: January 01, 2009, 11:36:15 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
how about:

BOS gets

Adam Morrison
Ryan Hollins or Juwan Howard

CHA gets

Giddens or Walker
POB
Scals or TA

I'm not sure i would do this, but i would look at it...

Re: Morrison and Hollins or Howard
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 11:47:32 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
a couple of other peripheral things about this are:

the trade would free up another roster spot in a 3 for 2 deal, so we could still add someone if they are released.

and there is an out on Morrison after next season which is the year that DA has apparently wanted to have money available....the 2010 off season.

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 11:50:18 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Hollins out of Bobcats' rotation: The Sports Xchange notes that Bobcats C Ryan Hollins has clearly slipped out of the rotation as coach Larry Brown works in recently signed center Dwayne Jones. Hollins was inactive for the last two games, after playing a single minute against the Pacers.
(Updated 12/02/2008).

Hollins in not real promising if Dwayne Jones is getting minutes over him so that means the trade is basically for Morrison (I have absolutely no interest in Howard).  I am not sure what is going on with him, I really that he would be good or at least average in the NBA but he has done nothing plus he is owed $4.2M this year and $5.5M next (almost as much as Posey).  I think the B-Cats do the trade you propose but I don't think we get enough back.  Would it work with just POB and Scal for Morrison and Hollins (exchanging useless tall projects to make the numbers work)?  Are we really better off getting Morrison for Scal?  Maybe, certainly more upside, so OK, lets do it but only if we can't use Scal to get Gadzuric as was proposed on another post.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 11:55:41 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 12:03:15 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
and if Morrison is ever going to be a decent player (i agree he has done basically nothing to this point)...but if he is ever going to do it, i would think coming to the Cs in a year when they are trying to repeat a Champs would the time he would do it...

the guy worshiped LL...

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 12:07:43 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Hollins out of Bobcats' rotation: The Sports Xchange notes that Bobcats C Ryan Hollins has clearly slipped out of the rotation as coach Larry Brown works in recently signed center Dwayne Jones. Hollins was inactive for the last two games, after playing a single minute against the Pacers.
(Updated 12/02/2008).

Hollins in not real promising if Dwayne Jones is getting minutes over him so that means the trade is basically for Morrison (I have absolutely no interest in Howard).  I am not sure what is going on with him, I really that he would be good or at least average in the NBA but he has done nothing plus he is owed $4.2M this year and $5.5M next (almost as much as Posey).  I think the B-Cats do the trade you propose but I don't think we get enough back.  Would it work with just POB and Scal for Morrison and Hollins (exchanging useless tall projects to make the numbers work)?  Are we really better off getting Morrison for Scal?  Maybe, certainly more upside, so OK, lets do it but only if we can't use Scal to get Gadzuric as was proposed on another post.

i agree that Howard or Hollins would not be expected to give a lot...and if they didn't they could easily be released because they both are owed hardly any money...

and that would actually free up two roster spots from the move. one from the "3 for 2" aspect  of the trade and then the other in the release of either Hollins or Howard if they don't work out.

so we could keep an eye on a wing (if Morrison flops) and/or another big down the stretch like we got with PJ and Sam last year.

still not saying i would do it, but there are some reasons to look at it.

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 12:13:33 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I'm not a fan of this one. Morrison is terrible and Hollins isn't great.

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 12:16:48 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

this deal comes down to whether or not you think there is ANY chance that Morrison could be a player...

i completely understand the people who think he has no chance....but i think there is a chance and he does fill that "SF that can shoot" spot. in theory anyway.

plus, it wouldn't prevent us from making other moves if other players become available. in fact it actually could free up some spots...

i'm givng the hard-sell i guess...trying to convince myself at the same time...

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 12:17:32 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923

this deal comes down to whether or not you think there is ANY chance that Morrison could be a player...

i completely understand the people who think he has no chance....but i think there is a chance and he does fill that "SF that can shoot" spot. in theory anyway.

Good point, I just don't see him being any good.

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 01:12:09 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Hollins can't break Charlotte's rotation.  What makes anybody think he's better than O'Bryant?

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 01:49:27 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Hollins can't break Charlotte's rotation.  What makes anybody think he's better than O'Bryant?

he may be no better, but he has a better contract situation...

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 02:06:52 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I don't think either Hollins or Howard are NBA level players at this stage in their careers. They shouldn't be in the league.

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 02:25:53 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Oddly enough, I think Scals adds more to this team that Morrison would be able to.

Scal's always been talked up as a great locker room guy, so that's a plus, and he also has been playing with consistency and heart every night. He's the only guy off the bench who does that, and while he isn't the most talented guy, he gives all of what he's got every night. That's something our bench lacks.

I'd argue that the talent descrepency between Scal and Morrison isn't big enough to justify this trade. Scal gives you 100% effort with 75% of the talent every night. Morrison gives you 60% of the effort with 25% more talent. It doesn't add up for me.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 03:00:33 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Bottom line with trades like this, IMHO, is that we're a 28-5 team.  This is like trading mud for mud hoping that something sticks to the wall. 

Our mud must already be sticking somewhere....We're 28-5.  I don't think under those circumstances you do something lateral trying to find a diamond in the rough.  Hollins and O'Bryant are probably a wash.  Howard and Powe....I take Powe.  The next time Morrison plays defense will be the first time.  If you don't get somebody you KNOW can help...like a vet with something left, leave things alone and develop what you have. 

If our bench is good enough to play on a 28-5 team while the starter's minutes are down, the starters will be plenty fresh come playoff time.

Augustin, Okafor, Diaw, or Wallace are the only players I'd like to see in green on the Bobcats' roster. 

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 03:03:04 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Bottom line with trades like this, IMHO, is that we're a 28-5 team.  This is like trading mud for mud hoping that something sticks to the wall. 

Our mud must already be sticking somewhere....We're 28-5.  I don't think under those circumstances you do something lateral trying to find a diamond in the rough.  Hollins and O'Bryant are probably a wash.  Howard and Powe....I take Powe.  The next time Morrison plays defense will be the first time.  If you don't get somebody you KNOW can help...like a vet with something left, leave things alone and develop what you have. 

If our bench is good enough to play on a 28-5 team while the starter's minutes are down, the starters will be plenty fresh come playoff time.

Augustin, Okafor, Diaw, or Wallace are the only players I'd like to see in green on the Bobcats' roster. 

but is the reason that we are 28-5 because the bench is doing their job or because the starters are overcompensating right now while the bench finds itself...

i'm more to the latter.

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 11:10:41 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

but is the reason that we are 28-5 because the bench is doing their job or because the starters are overcompensating right now while the bench finds itself...

i'm more to the latter.

How can you say that, winsomme?  The starter's minutes are down and the team has a better record than last season.  Rivers, during most of these wins, has had the bench playing big minutes without any starter in.

The losses to LA and Golden State are acceptable.  To blame the bench for either is plain wrong.  They ran into a hot Gasol in the Lakers game and still almost won.  They played exhausted at the end of the GS game because they were.  Had Rivers taken his ritalin, he'd have sat the starters the entire second half of that unlosable scrimmage against Sacramento so the starters wouldn't look exactly like they did in the Sacramento game in the fourth quarter.  Yes, our lack of bench length hurt us.  But it hurt us a lot more that Perk was by himself in the paint while Garnett played one of his softest games as a Celtic.  It would have been nice if our highest paid player would shut his mouth and compete inside when it's necessary for his team to win.

As I said earlier, if length without the necessary skill set was the only prerequisite to compete, we already have that in O'Bryant.  Sometimes, when we need length, Garnett needs to play like a 7-footer and not a 2-guard.  Hollins has the same skill set as O'Bryant.  Scal is way more valuable than any of the three this trade is proposing.  He fits into to this system and is an excellent defensive player.