Author Topic: Trade with Bucks: Gadz and Crosher  (Read 6001 times)

Trade with Bucks: Gadz and Crosher
« on: December 31, 2008, 09:28:28 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Re: Trade with Bucks: Gadz and Crosher
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 02:10:55 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Wide Load,

I have always been sort of infatuated with Dan Gadz... esp. since he seems to always play fairly well vs. our C's.  I like this idea.

Happy New Year!!

Smitty77

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 03:19:44 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I don't think Danny Ainge would take on a contract of that size and length in return for a player of Gadzuric's caliber.

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 09:01:22 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
If money matters will work, why not. I've been a fan of Gadzuric's shotblocking ability for years now. The guy is tall, with long arms and has good mobility and is strong to the hoop. He reminds me of a taller Larry Nance. Of course, Nance was more creative in the offensive end.
I just hope though that we can trade a 2nd round pick for a 1st round pick and keep Giddens.

Boston gets Gadz, Croshere and 1st round.
Indiana gets BBD, POB, Scal and 2nd round.

Then we add 1 young, quick, 6-11 or 7 footer (Steven Hill or Courtney Sims).

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 09:35:54 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
If money matters will work, why not. I've been a fan of Gadzuric's shotblocking ability for years now. The guy is tall, with long arms and has good mobility and is strong to the hoop. He reminds me of a taller Larry Nance. Of course, Nance was more creative in the offensive end.
I just hope though that we can trade a 2nd round pick for a 1st round pick and keep Giddens.

Boston gets Gadz, Croshere and 1st round.
Indiana gets BBD, POB, Scal and 2nd round.

Then we add 1 young, quick, 6-11 or 7 footer (Steven Hill or Courtney Sims).

A 1st rounder to the Celtics as well?  Not going to happen.

As for Gadz, it looks like he is finally out of that two season slump. 

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 10:17:40 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I actually like Gadz, but why would anyone move him for what's essentially BBD and a bag of Danny's garbage?

It's going to be difficult to work a trade with anyone, because we just don't have much of value on the bench.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 10:25:20 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I actually like Gadz, but why would anyone move him for what's essentially BBD and a bag of Danny's garbage?

It's going to be difficult to work a trade with anyone, because we just don't have much of value on the bench.

Money and cap space.   

That looks like the best shot for Celtics to bring in a decent bench player.  Money and cap space.

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
The both suck.  Gadzuric had one or two good games against the Celtics a few years ago.  The rest of the time he's been pretty bad. He has no offensive game.  As for Croshere, he's too old and slow.  I'd rather have Scalabrine.

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 11:33:34 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Gadzuric is an interesting target.  There was this news blurb:

Gadzuric plays well in Bogut's absence: Milwaukee's seldom-used C Dan Gadzuric had 11 points and 14 rebounds (in 25 min) on Wednesday, helping to lift the Milwaukee Bucks to a 97-90 victory over the Chicago Bulls. Gadzuric played down the stretch with Andrew Bogut gone after getting hit in the face. He also had three blocks.
(Updated 12/04/2008).

But since that game, he has a total of 4 points and 7 rebs in 24 min over the next 4 games.  Maybe he plays better when there is more on the line.  In looking at the Bucks roster, I would think they would be more interested in Pruitt as PG is a position of more weakness than wing (Giddens).  This would be a significant financial commitment for Gad (average about $6.7M for 3 years), more per year than Posey but I guess you can't teach height so you are stuck paying more for it.  He probably isn't worth it but that doesn't mean over-paying is out of the question to address a need that could jeopordize a championship.

I don't think the Bucks do the trade exactly as presented but I think it is a good idea and I hope Danny is exploring it.  You would need to be really sure that he could stay motivated and productive because if he didn't, you are really stuck for 3 seasons and the C's can afford to waste that much money.

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 11:41:18 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

why do you think Giddens is garbage?

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 01:10:41 PM »

Online Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
 ;D ;D
The same people who trash O'Bryant and Scal thinks everybody else wants them.

How about a New Year's resolution:  Somebody try to propose a trade which doesn't include Scal.

Little secret that few in this blog can figure out:  He's a lot more valuable to us than he is to other teams. 

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 02:10:33 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
;D ;D

How about a New Year's resolution:  Somebody try to propose a trade which doesn't include Scal.

Little secret that few in this blog can figure out:  He's a lot more valuable to us than he is to other teams. 

They would be desirable for contracts.  It would save the Bucks money.   

He is worth more to teams trying to save money then he is to the Celtics. 

Players like Scali are often included in trades for salary purposes. 

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 02:54:58 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
The Bucks would do this in a heartbeat and throw in a couple of 2nd round picks even if not asked. We don't even have to send Baby and Giddens, unless they're needed to make the salaries work.

Gadzuric has one of the worst contracts in the entire league; he's grossly overpaid for his production and his contract still has 3 years on it or something. He had a couple of decent games because he was hitting jumpers, but, besides his proverbial and intensive effort, that's all. He's a walking foul that often looks clueless on both sides of the floor. Davis easily outplays him. 

Croshere is still though as nails, but he's old. He's frequently inactive in a team that plays guys like Malik Allen and Francisco Elson at his position.

Btw, Elson would be a more modest acquisition but he wouldn't offer much less than Gadz. Some smaller contract, say POB and some money, would be enough to get him, I think.

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 03:55:27 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
;D ;D

Scal only helps financially if his contract is shorter than the bad contract he is matching.

The problem with a lot of trade proposals they include Scal when his contract is longer. Take Joe Smith, for example. There have been silly proposals to trade Scal + 1 player for Joe Smith, when Joe Smith's contract is far better than Scal's. It would be far better to cut Smith than to trade him for Scal.

No bad contract is a good thing in itself. It tends to only be good when you can use it to match a longer term contract that a team wants to dump.

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 03:59:39 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
;D ;D

Scal only helps financially if his contract is shorter than the bad contract he is matching.

The problem with a lot of trade proposals they include Scal when his contract is longer. Take Joe Smith, for example. There have been silly proposals to trade Scal + 1 player for Joe Smith, when Joe Smith's contract is far better than Scal's. It would be far better to cut Smith than to trade him for Scal.

No bad contract is a good thing in itself. It tends to only be good when you can use it to match a longer term contract that a team wants to dump.

Yup. OKC's not going to trade Joe for Scal and Giddens, a guy with a checkered off-court past and questionable defensive skills. Makes more sense for them to cut him.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."