Author Topic: Sam Cassell  (Read 4309 times)

Re: Sam Cassell
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 06:28:37 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I can't say that I have any idea of what the "master plan" is for Sam but I sure don't think he is any kind of an answer for what ails the second unit.  What I have seen is Pruitt play well enough to confirm that he can be a fine 3rd PG and that we don't need Cassell.  I think Sam is just insurance and a possible trade chip.  I am glad he is not one of the active 12 players.

The thing about Eddie is that he defends PG's pretty well in my opinion but he is not effective offensively if he has to handle the ball.  He likes to catch and shoot, period.  Having Ray or Tony handling the ball is not the answer either.  Maybe they need to get Pruitt on the court with Eddie.  Pruitt could cover the opposing SG and Eddie could cover the opposing PG but on Offense, we let Pruitt handle the ball.  Then let Tony play with the first unit to rest PP or RA and work BBD and Leon with the scrubs+Pierce.  It is a minor adjustment but may be just enough to squeeze out a little more from the second unit.
How is Sam a trade chip? He is a 1 year minimum contract who most likely has no interest in playing for any other team.

I agree with you about House. I don't agree with the low opinion of House's defense by many.

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 08:24:40 PM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
If there's one thing we've learned about Danny Ainge, it's that there's always a method to his madness.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but he is an active, creative GM who always has plans A, B, C and D charted out.

That said, and given the recent uproar about the quality of our bench, where has Cassell been?  Why would Ainge sign him to a roster spot if he isn't playing?

All along, I thought that we were saving him for the playoffs, giving some of our young talent a chance to earn a rotation spot or be showcased for a trade.  With the number of (obvious) trade targets fitting our team diminishing, can we expect to see Sam any time soon?  Do we even want to?

I'm left in the dark as to why we have a quality veteran scoring guard on the bench when we are in the need of just that on the floor.
I think Sam is here as insurance for the playoffs if needed. I think he's probably here more to serve more as a coaching intern. With him on the roster it gives Danny some flexibility. If we can get a quality big, Sam could always retire or be cut and stay on as a coach. Sam isn't the kind of guy who would like sitting on the bench. He's not complaining about it and that is why I stated this thought.

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 08:52:20 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
No sam, no antoine
Pruitt deserves a look.  Use Sams spot for a big or if bill walker isn't going to get sf time in nba then that is also needed.

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 12:05:16 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
No sam, no antoine
Pruitt deserves a look.  Use Sams spot for a big or if bill walker isn't going to get sf time in nba then that is also needed.

Not to be a jerk, but this doesn't address the question I posed, nor the issues at hand.

I don't think Sam was acquired to take up a roster spot as an "coaching intern".  I don't think Pruitt is going to be able to do much of anything with extended minutes.

Then again, now is the time to experiment.
God bless and good night!