Author Topic: Play Rondo more  (Read 8450 times)

Re: Play Rondo more
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 02:07:35 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Rondo minutes go up around 40 he scores a triple double on the stat sheet and the celtics win...Why he wasnt in the game with 9 minutes, 8 minutes, 7 minutes, even 6 minutes in the fourth quarter is beyond me. Why was Eddie House in the game until 5 minutes and 30 seconds left? Ridiculous. More minutes from Rondo means more wins for the celtics.

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 02:29:59 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Rondo minutes go up around 40 he scores a triple double on the stat sheet and the celtics win...Why he wasnt in the game with 9 minutes, 8 minutes, 7 minutes, even 6 minutes in the fourth quarter is beyond me. Why was Eddie House in the game until 5 minutes and 30 seconds left? Ridiculous. More minutes from Rondo means more wins for the celtics.

maybe more wins over the short term, but also maybe less GP over the long term....

we are in big trouble if Rondo gets hurt.

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 02:39:03 PM »

Offline reggie35

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 51

maybe more wins over the short term, but also maybe less GP over the long term....

Not if they lock up home court advantage sooner rather than later. They can all rest more after that.

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 03:01:43 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Has anyone mentioned that pairing Rondo and Tony Allen is... well, unorthodox? Any Rondo+Tony backcourt needs to be complemented with Ray and Garnett to spread the floor. That's a big reason it's difficult to play Rondo more minutes.

Anyway, I don't see the point. Let him be rested for the play-offs.

cordobes, you´re so annoying.

Whenever I open a topic these days, cordobes already said exactly what I wanted to say, only in a much smarter way...all what´s left for me is my good looks.

Come on, leave me a bone, this dog is working on his forum reputation.
TP4U

Regarding Rondo/Tony: If we´d have a forward that can hit the outside shot, the flaws of this duo would be much less of an issue.

This Nocioni trade idea on the front page sounds great. A Bulls fan commented with, and I quote, "yes yes yes" (do it, Danny!!!).
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 03:17:05 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

Not if they lock up home court advantage sooner rather than later. They can all rest more after that.

well i agree that homecourt advantage is big, but i'm not sure that we will be able to do anything to lock it up at some early date (more Rondo or not more Rondo) with the way that CLE and ORL are playing right now...they seem like they are going to be right there the whole way.

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 05:22:29 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Has anyone mentioned that pairing Rondo and Tony Allen is... well, unorthodox? Any Rondo+Tony backcourt needs to be complemented with Ray and Garnett to spread the floor. That's a big reason it's difficult to play Rondo more minutes.

One more reason that TA is a bad fit for this team. 

I think Rondo is playing well enough to warrant another 4-5 minutes on the floor (around 35-36 minutes a game) and I don't think it will effect his playoff performance.

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 05:54:12 PM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
I think Doc is conserving PT for a reason. The "core" three guys aren't young, and have a lot of mileage on them. Doc took it to the other extreme last year, where they weren't seasoned enough as a team to finish off the Hawks and Cavaliers like they could have had they been on their "A" game (or anywhere near it, which they weren't when they were on the road).

As for Rondo, I think Rajon (as a young guy) still is young and should grow a greater appreciation for the PT he's being given. Doc knows that rewarding him too much this early in his career could breed complacency and therein make it easy for him to pick up bad habits.

It's easy to point out that Rondo has earned a ring on a title bound team as evidence that he's too mature for such a thing to happen. But that gives Doc even more reason to safeguard Rondo's minutes. He is an unquestioned talent, but someone who needs to be "honed" properly in order for us all to see his optimal level of effectiveness.

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 06:52:17 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

I think Rondo is playing well enough to warrant another 4-5 minutes on the floor (around 35-36 minutes a game) and I don't think it will effect his playoff performance.

not to be too nit-picky, but 4-5 more mins for R puts him in the 37-38 range....which i really think is pushing it. 35 would really be my max on him over the long haul and right now i think he is closer to 33...

i agree he could play a little more, however....

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 07:17:11 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Rondo seems to hit the floor as much as Wade or any PG for that matter and with his slight frame I worry about preserving him for the long haul of the season young or not.   I remember 2 or 3 weeks back after a game against Utah he mentioned in the post game interview his back was killing him among other things.   So I'd rather for now give those extra 5 minutes or so to Pruitt say in the second quarter and see what he does.  He's been put in that situation a couple times but I'd like to see more it.  Rondo can play 40 plus minutes if needed in the playoffs but I don't think there should be too much urgency to do it now even if it means a couple extra losses on the year. 

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2009, 02:19:59 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

not to be too nit-picky, but 4-5 more mins for R puts him in the 37-38 range....which i really think is pushing it. 35 would really be my max on him over the long haul and right now i think he is closer to 33...

why is that pushing it? the kid is 22, not 32.

As someone posted, if you look around the league, young players get 37-40 minutes a night.

Why does rajon, a player who still needs as much NBA experience as possible treated like he's 30+ years old?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2009, 02:22:30 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

I dont see what this has to do with his minutes. Ideally,as we discussed,  the SG with rajon in would be eddie playing his natural position for those extra 3-5 minutes a night, allowing him to shoot of rondo's penetration.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2009, 08:39:18 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I totally agree, he is young and he can't properly develop his game this way. Let him play garbage time etc.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2009, 11:19:26 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Why is 37 minutes pushing it for Rondo, but not for Paul or Ray or the 25-30 players who average that?

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2009, 11:26:46 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

Why is 37 minutes pushing it for Rondo, but not for Paul or Ray or the 25-30 players who average that?

i worry about all the hard hits to the floor that Rondo takes....i think is a cumulative effect to them.

personally, i wouldn't push it past 35. that's just me.

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2009, 12:28:58 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
if were going to treat him like he's made of glass his enitre career, we should trade him now because he won't be able to be the main focus of this team once GPA have moved on.

Lots of PG's take hits every night. Rajon has proven to be very durable so far.