Author Topic: Play Rondo more  (Read 8417 times)

Play Rondo more
« on: December 31, 2008, 11:46:52 AM »

Offline reggie35

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 51
Many here have pointed out how the offense stagnates when Eddie is in the game and some have suggested playing Gabe Pruitt more instead. I think a better option is to yes play Pruitt more but also play Rondo more. He's only averaging around 30 minutes a game. He's young and should have the stamina for more.

The whole tempo of the game is much much better when Rondo's in there as is the defense. Take minutes away from House and play Rondo more, especially against good teams.

Re: Play Rondo more
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 11:49:29 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Many here have pointed out how the offense stagnates when Eddie is in the game and some have suggested playing Gabe Pruitt more instead. I think a better option is to yes play Pruitt more but also play Rondo more. He's only averaging around 30 minutes a game. He's young and should have the stamina for more.

The whole tempo of the game is much much better when Rondo's in there as is the defense. Take minutes away from House and play Rondo more, especially against good teams.

Its not a stamina thing, Doc has said multiple times that he wants to keep ALL the starters under 35 a game if possable throughout the regular season.

I happen to agree with you that rondo could play 38-40 a night no problem, but unfortunaly we don't coach the team :/

this is one of the only things i disagree with doc about, rondo should get more minutes (when he's playing well, obviously) than the other starters. He can handle it and the second unit would really benifit from rondo and another starter.

Eddie is a decent enough backup, but he doesn't drive and kick like rondo, and alot of our bench guys need someone to move the ball. TA is supposed to do that for them, but I'd rather rajon do that, for obvious reasons.

TP for the idea though, i just don't think doc will change his rotations.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 11:52:15 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I agree, although he had a terrible turnover at the end of the game that potentially cost us the game (KG's turnover as well) that stretch he sat out in the 2nd half was disastrous, just an epic fail.
another thing im observing is the 1st unit is losing all there momentum from sitting down and watching the 2nd unit stink it up, to the point it effects them when they get back out there...not cool
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 12:05:14 PM »

Offline reggie35

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 51

TP for the idea though, i just don't think doc will change his rotations.

That's another thing. He gets really formulaic about rotations. Why make a rule like... "KG comes out after 8 minutes" and then follow it no matter what? he should be more flexible depending on the game circumstances...

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 12:31:54 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Rondo is young.  Why is he getting minutes like the 33 year olds?

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 12:37:11 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I mean really Eddie House has been terrible.   Why is Rondo playing 31.7 minute per game?

Derrick Rose plays 38
CP and Deron play 37
Chris Duhon is currently averaging 39.7
Devin Harris, Calderon, and Andre Miller average 36

Even old guys like Jason Kidd and Nash get more minutes than Rondo.

Our team is obviously significantly worse with Rondo on the bench... so why treat him like he's an brittle old man?

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 12:37:55 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

yea, thats my thinking on the subject, i don't get why him and perk get lumped in with the minute mangaing of GPA.

forget stamina issues, Rajon needs the work. period. The kids not exactly a vetran yet, every we can get him  helps add to his experiance.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 12:41:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

yea, thats my thinking on the subject, i don't get why him and perk get lumped in with the minute mangaing of GPA.

forget stamina issues, Rajon needs the work. period. The kids not exactly a vetran yet, every we can get him  helps add to his experiance.

Actually now that I think about it.  Part of the reason they average less minutes is because we have won a league leading 28 games and there have been a lot of games where we have been able to sit the starters in the 4th.  So it's not entirely Doc just holding back minutes.

And Perk's minutes will always be limited, because he still is foul prone.

But I agree Rondo should be able to handle a big work load at his age.

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 12:51:09 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Actually now that I think about it.  Part of the reason they average less minutes is because we have won a league leading 28 games and there have been a lot of games where we have been able to sit the starters in the 4th.  So it's not entirely Doc just holding back minutes.

And Perk's minutes will always be limited, because he still is foul prone.

But I agree Rondo should be able to handle a big work load at his age.

im almost counting that though. Does rajon really need to sit the whole 4th quarter?

you would think he would play with the bench a bit, even in blowouts, just to get work in and chemistry.

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 12:52:12 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Its agreed Rondo needs to play more. So who's going to tell Doc? I'm busy working on a Free Rondo shirt.  ;D

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 12:54:57 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
More minutes for Rondo would be good, but not in the 40 minute range.

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 01:10:43 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
More minutes for Rondo would be good, but not in the 40 minute range.

agreed. like i said elsewhere, the way Rondo plays and his physical make up, the fewer hits to the deck the better....i want him fresh at the end of the season. not hobbled.

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 01:26:20 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Has anyone mentioned that pairing Rondo and Tony Allen is... well, unorthodox? Any Rondo+Tony backcourt needs to be complemented with Ray and Garnett to spread the floor. That's a big reason it's difficult to play Rondo more minutes.

Anyway, I don't see the point. Let him be rested for the play-offs.

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 01:31:08 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Has anyone mentioned that pairing Rondo and Tony Allen is... well, unorthodox? Any Rondo+Tony backcourt needs to be complemented with Ray and Garnett to spread the floor. That's a big reason it's difficult to play Rondo more minutes.

Anyway, I don't see the point. Let him be rested for the play-offs.

i basically agree. although, i think we could get some time with Rondo, TA, PP, KG and Powe/BBD....

but Rondo needs to be kept healthy the best we can...especially with all those hard hits to the floor.

the bench guys just need to make more shots, not miss rotations and just play with more fire.

that is another aspect of Posey's game that we are missing. he was an emotional leader too.

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 01:42:40 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
I mean really Eddie House has been terrible.   Why is Rondo playing 31.7 minute per game?

Derrick Rose plays 38
CP and Deron play 37
Chris Duhon is currently averaging 39.7
Devin Harris, Calderon, and Andre Miller average 36

Even old guys like Jason Kidd and Nash get more minutes than Rondo.

Our team is obviously significantly worse with Rondo on the bench... so why treat him like he's an brittle old man?

By March these guys will hit a wall and their teams will not be able to keep pace. New Orleans and Utah are off last years pace but both will make the playoffs barring injury. New York, New Jersey, Toronto, Philly and Chicago are already fading fast.

Phoenix and Dallas - only time will tell if they can stay with the elite six.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.