Author Topic: Doc's coahing on the Road  (Read 8488 times)

Re: Doc's coahing on the Road
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2008, 03:40:46 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Well, IMO, TA and Big Baby both sucked last night, and most nights this season. All second half I was wondering if Doc forgot that Leon is on the team.
I agree with this...why does Doc just sit there and watch this disaster with BBD over and over without pulling him at the times he should be?

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2008, 03:49:45 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
The teams goes as Rondo goes. Rondo didn't go and the team got stuck with a 1-3 road record. Rondo needs to step up his play on the road. He's too good to be such a night and day player depending on whether or not it's a home game or not.

I thought Rondo played well last night and for most of the road trip. It's not his fault if Ray won't give up the ball on a fast break or that Perk has tennis rackets for hands. The team was red hot in the 1st quarter and then Doc's watch went off, House got in, and things went downhill from there.

I don't think Rondo played poorly Chief, but his play is indicative of the team as a whole.  Yesterday's game he had five assists and three steals in the first quarter. He finished with seven assists and three steals.  I believe he did the same thing in the GS game.

Why did Doc take him out in the first quarter then? The guys on fire and Doc puts Eddie in. Rondo is young and could play the whole game if needed.

Doc has said multiple times he belives in managing minutes for the entire starting 5.

I happen to agree with you that rondo could play more minutes (which would specifcly help our bench out, ball movement dies right now when eddie runs the point), but doc doesn't, so there you go.
There are games where those rules shouldn't always apply.In games where we are having the hardest times getting the second unit in any kind of rhythm i would be a little loser on managing minutes.I dont think that should apply to each and every game.There are game situations that requires more work from the starting five(imo).There are some experts who claim that micro-managing minutes is well overstated or overrated.When playoff time comes,if you have to play for the championship im sure the players(starters) will step it up.

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2008, 05:02:27 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
What if Pruitt gets some minutes in the future and proves to be a bust? What's next? Doc left bench players for too long? How many minutes have the starters played? We're one of the teams in the entire league where the bench players see less minutes, especially if you discount what they get in garbage time.

Fans love to moan about the coaches micro-management. 95% of the work of the coach is done before the tip off, but, for some odd reason, fans believe those 5% - that, btw, are much harder to assess - is what matters and impacts the winning record.

Maybe you should consider that this bench is being maximized as of now. They just aren't better than this.

How is the bench being maximized?  Are the players being put in position to do what they do best, or are they asked to do things that are not their strengths?  

the bench is made up of players that were all here last year. they just are not delivering on a consistent basis.

the biggest change in our bench is not that Doc is using them differently. the biggest change is that we are sans Posey and haven't yet replaced him.

"closer by committee" is just not working. it didn't work for the Sox and so far it is not working for the Cs....

the bench play is putting too much pressure on the starters.

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2008, 10:58:34 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Doc has proven that he is not going to change his substitution pattern of taking out KG at the 2:00 mark of the first quarter, Perk shortly after that, Pierce or Ray shortly after that or at the quarter break and Rondo much like Pierce or Ray at the quarter break. He will then have four subs out there with Ray or Pierce. He will then sub in Ray for Paul or Paul for Ray with 9:00 minutes left in the half. At the 7:00 mark he will start to put in a couple of starters and then by the 5:00 mark have all the starters back in.

It's what he has been doing with this starting group since basically the beginning of last year. It puts a very limited second group on the floor with one starter for the better part of 12 minutes a game.

Indiana: 1stQ 3:54 starters start coming out score 19-15 Indiana
Indiana: 2ndQ 7:05 starters start coming in score 35-27 Indiana
Indiana: 3rdQ 5:03 starters start coming out score 62-49 Indiana
Indiana: 4thQ 9:22 starters start coming in score 77-61 Indiana

Denver: 1stQ 0:42 starters start coming out score 26-23 Boston
Denver: 2ndQ 6:05 starters start coming in score 37-34 Denver
Denver: 3rdQ 1:14 starters start coming out score 63-60 Denver
Denver: 4thQ 7:11 starters start coming in score 78-71 Denver

Los Angeles: 1stQ 0:27 starters start coming out score 24-23 Boston
Los Angeles: 2ndQ 7:22 starters start coming in score 37-29 Los Angeles
Los Angeles: 3rdQ 2:31 starters start coming out score 64-64
Los Angeles: 4thQ 7:03 starters start coming in score 77-75 Los Angeles

Golden State: 1stQ 0:30 starters start coming out score 27-19 Boston
Golden State: 2ndQ 6:39 starters start coming in score 36-29 Boston
Golden State: 3rdQ 3:58 starters start coming out score 64-54 Boston
Golden State: 4thQ 9:15 starters start coming in score 74-69 Boston

Portland: 1stQ 1:53 starters start coming out score 21-13 Boston
Portland: 2ndQ 5:37 starters start coming in score 34-29 Boston
Portland: 3rdQ 3:17 starters start coming out score 58-53 Boston
Portland: 4thQ 7:13 starters start coming in score 72-68 Portland

Now these are just the losses and the times can be moved around a little bit here and there depending on your own interpretation as to when the bench started coming in and not but for the most part it can be seen that there is definitely a pattern in which this team gives up points using this substitution pattern in the team's losses thus far this season. And there are probably a dozen of the same type of patterns in wins in which the subs come in and points are given back.

So one of three things need to happen:

1. The players that Doc are using need to start playing better
2. Doc needs to change the way he subs those players in
3. Danny needs to change the players

My guess is that #2 isn't going to happen and that Doc is going to insist on #1 happening. Problem is #1 might not be able to happen. The players might just not be good enough to play together as a unit no matter how good the superstar you leave in there to play with them. They have little height or length, poor shooting, poor passers and almost no chemisty. The group is just a bad fit together.

So Danny had better do #3 because I don't see #1 or #2 happening too soon.

Nick, this is a great post. Stats don't lie. TP for you, sir.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2009, 01:03:31 AM »

Offline thedawg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Agreed.  Doc and the bench were horrific during this trip.  Doc seems afraid to play Pruitt against good teams.  Give the kid a shot.
Agree with you there to..Pruitt deserves a shot.TP

But what do you expect from bench players that dont get a chance to play???  I have said it from day one that we wont be winning the championship again this year because:

a)  The bench is not strong enough
b)  Doc does NOT utilise his bench as much as I would have liked. 

I know he is afraid of messing things up by giving the starting 5 more rest, but that is the only thing that will change our bench from being a mediocre players and into a bench that can support our bid to banner no. 18. 

IF we look at our bench we can see Tony Allen is getting his garbage minutes here and there and so is Powe and Big Baby but we are not seeing O´Bryant or the other two rookies, let alone Pruitt getting any chance at all.  What eventually will happen is people will get injured/fatigued when we get to post-season and the playoffs will be extremely difficult. I really dislike Lakers but I believe they will be the champs this season but the only team that can stop them is us, and we need our team to have fresh legs when we get into the playoffs.
In Danny Ainge I Trust!