Author Topic: Portland game shows that we need length  (Read 5678 times)

Re: Portland game shows that we need length
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 10:22:40 AM »

Offline tb727

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
boston is 3 players away from repeating...the need a big, a 6-7 or 6-8 wing and a back up point....in that order.

Dead-on with this assessment.  Seeing Aldridge just shoot over the top of Powe or Davis is my worse fear.  I could see Gasol and Illgauskas doing that as well.

A back-up who's 6'10+ is essential.  Then the 6-7 or 6-8 wing who could even slide over to the 4 at times is very important.  And as Wide Load said the point guard would be a luxury, but I think they can go forward with what they have.
Jay Wingspan Bilas

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 10:32:57 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Maybe it's just me, but when the opposing team is killing us with their height, it seems the camera man gets a closeup view of POB on the bench.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 10:48:09 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Doc should experiment with POB more in those situations where our lack of height is a disadvantage. Give the kid a chance.  Doc gets too coservative on his substitutions. Remember Ryan Gomes....

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 11:05:41 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
boston is 3 players away from repeating...the need a big, a 6-7 or 6-8 wing and a back up point....in that order.

I think the 1st two are real needs.  The third is just a luxury. 

I do think they can repeat with the team as it is now, it will just be much harder.

I think the only way this team repeats, as is, is if Doc shortens his rotation and keeps either Perk or KG on the court at all times. Kind of like always having eirger Pierce or Ray on the floor. Davis and Powe are just too small a combination. I'm not sure if that would work, but it would help. Also sign me up to the free Gabe team. I like House. I think he plays hard, but he is just not a point guard. He's a small 2 and i don't think having TA bringing up the ball helps. Of Course I agree with you assesment that a big and a 6'7 wing would be great. I'm just not sure the Celtics have the pieces to get them. Personally I would trade anyone on our bench right now, but who wants them?

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 11:24:51 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

TP. Absolutely agree. IF only we would have signed Birdman & Matt Barnes in the off season. Anderson is averaging over 2 blocks/game in just 18 minutes & Barnes is a versatile deep threat on the perimeter. Both are long, came cheap, and are exactly what we need for the 2nd unit.

Has anybody watched birdman in Denver?  O'Bryant would be a step up.  What this team needs is for it's 7ft human salary cap starter to play inside when needed inside instead of hanging around the peremeter and pressing guards in the backcourt.  That all looks real impressive to idiot Portland commentators but gets us torched inside when our opponent has inside size.  They got torched on the boards last night.  Garnett can't play a soft finesse game against every team and expect us to be successful.  Perk needed help inside last night and got little from Garnett.

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 08:13:13 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

TP. Absolutely agree. IF only we would have signed Birdman & Matt Barnes in the off season. Anderson is averaging over 2 blocks/game in just 18 minutes & Barnes is a versatile deep threat on the perimeter. Both are long, came cheap, and are exactly what we need for the 2nd unit.

Has anybody watched birdman in Denver?  O'Bryant would be a step up.  What this team needs is for it's 7ft human salary cap starter to play inside when needed inside instead of hanging around the peremeter and pressing guards in the backcourt.  That all looks real impressive to idiot Portland commentators but gets us torched inside when our opponent has inside size.  They got torched on the boards last night.  Garnett can't play a soft finesse game against every team and expect us to be successful.  Perk needed help inside last night and got little from Garnett.
While I am the last guy to call KG soft, he definitely was not mixing it up inside against the Blazers. He didnt really impress me much against the Lakers with his D on Gasol either come to think of it. He is much happier abusing Lamar Odom outside than Pau in the lane.  ???

I thought Perk played well against Bynum and the Oden/Przbilla matchup. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 09:18:17 PM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
I am still curious as to why we signed Patrick O'Bryant. Clearly when we go game to game with evident length problems, we keep our 6'6" tweener forwards at PF and C whilst getting dominated by 7 footers like Oden and Przybilla. It's pathetic.

Unless Doc plays Patrick, I see no need for him on this team. There's no need to develop a project who's only being given the torch in garbage time. We have no room for player development. That was 2006. We're on the brink of 2009 and should be contending for another Finals trophy. We need to get our priorities straight.

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 09:52:44 PM »

Offline ben

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
free pob.  there is a 2nd year player wearing number 11 that is mysteriously taking away both powe and POB's minutes.  what is going on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-zLqfrJngE

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 11:25:05 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
If we're pinning our hopes on the Human Cadaver, Paddy, then I'm ready to move into the off-season right now.

The drive for 18 is over.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2009, 11:54:19 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Well the C's are 28-5. So it's kind of crazy to crow about how you were "right" about not being able to succeed with this team. I do think BBD needs to go. People attack the bench but if we had a center with some length in there alot of the benchs problems would start to disappear. He is a very poor player and only plays because he is better then POB (a bust - but at least not our bust).

I'd put a 3/4 (Posey II) and a ball handling PG (with a J) on the list of most wanted next to that. But you can't have everything..