Author Topic: Trade Idea: Warrick & Ross for TA & Baby  (Read 9689 times)

Re: Trade Idea: Warrick & Ross for TA & Baby
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 07:39:28 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Not a good fit. 

Ross would be an upgrade for the Celtics bench needs, but Warrick is an even smaller PF that doesn't play average defense. 

For Memphis, Davis would be a good PF off the bench, but TA plays the same spot as Mayo.  They just do not need another slasher. 

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 08:30:43 PM »

Offline PJ Martinez

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Without responding to this particular idea, has anyone noticed that we could use a backup SF? I ask because people keep pointing out that Warrick is a three, and therefore not of value... we've got plenty of fours. Even in this hypothetical trade scenario (which strikes me as far-fetched-- why would Memphis do it?), we still have Powe to backup Garnett. But who backs up Pierce? Right now it's TA (really a two) and Scals (really not an NBA quality player). So if the C's could seriously upgrade the backup SF position, I say go for it. I mean, after all, the player we miss most right now isn't PJ Brown... it's James Posey. A small forward.

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Are you aware that Tony Allen was an unrestricted free agent just a couple of months ago, available to be signed for cheap, and Memphis didn't show interest for him - at least enough to sign him? If Memphis wanted Tony Allen at this price, they would have signed him.

i'm aware that they didn't make him an offer yes. i don't see any reason why that would prevent them from trading for the guy if he could work well for them now, especially for a guy they've been shopping for a year who they have no intention of re-signing.

Why would they trade a guy they have no intention of re-signing for a guy they never had any intention of signing?

How do you have any idea what they're intentions are or were? i'll admit i'm not the GM of the Grizzlies, if you'll admit the same. but it just so happens the guy who is was partly responsible for bring tony in once before.

do you have anything interesting to add about the relevance of the trade idea for the teams involved? 

What do you want me to add? You can't provide a good reason why Memphis would do this, so what can I say? Saying that we can't know for sure what Wallace thinks is just nonsensical. With the same rationale, I can suggest that we should trade Scal+Giddens for Brook Lopez. I have no idea why Memphis would do this. Ross is a cheaper version of Tony Allen, a defensive minded backup. They have plenty of role-players, bigs and smalls, including Warrick. If they're shopping him, they're clearly asking a more expensive price than Tony Allen+BBD.

Aren't you the same poster who proposed the trade of Scal+TA for Najera+SWilliams+Boone? And John Salmons for Bill Walker and TA/Scal? I don't want to be rude or the guys who spoils the fun, and I'm not usually bothered by somewhat surrealistic trade scenarios, but I see a pattern here, so allow me to give you my sincere opinion: you clearly, constantly and consistently overestimate the value of our players. By a lot. Seriously, a gigantic lot. 

ETA: although I think that Allen and BBD are the better players on this trade. Allen is Ross with a more developed offensive game and I'd take Davis defense over Warrick's offense.

You're wrong about what I've proposed in the past, so check yourself before boring me with your mandate. The silly Nets whole bench for Scal and TA idea was not proposed and otherwise ignored by me. And Scal and Giddens for NJs very good lottery pick this year is of course moronic.

If you have a problem with trade ideas for the likes Salmons or Warrick or Nocioni to improve our deficient bench, then allow me to offer you my sincere opinion: your posts are safe, condescending, and in this thread, useless.

but dood, gonna give you a TP here for self-congratulation and generality  8)

« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 11:06:42 PM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 10:05:15 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Not a good fit. 

Ross would be an upgrade for the Celtics bench needs, but Warrick is an even smaller PF that doesn't play average defense. 

For Memphis, Davis would be a good PF off the bench, but TA plays the same spot as Mayo.  They just do not need another slasher. 

I think if Warrick is seen as a 4 then he represents a defensive downgrade, though he was a better defender at 'Cuse in the halfcourt set. But he's hardly a traditional 4. What I'm saying is, he's an immediate upgrade to the bench at the 3, and can score on his own.

Man, i thought you'd been trying to find a ticket out of town for Tony since 2004! With Kristic in OKC maybe you can finally work that Collison trade, tho considering everyone at the 4 there is expiring, maybe not?

« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 10:40:57 PM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 10:51:10 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Although it may not be popular, my counter offer would be Scalabrine, Powe and Giddens for Buckner, Warrick and a 2010 second rounder. Throw in cash if necessary, from our end. Works on the trade checker btw. This solves or answers several arguments against the OP's original suggestion. Most importantly it gives us the open roster spot we crave for a late seaon buyout or two if we 'lose' Sam. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 09:43:50 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Not a good fit. 

I think if Warrick is seen as a 4 then he represents a defensive downgrade, though he was a better defender at 'Cuse in the halfcourt set. But he's hardly a traditional 4. What I'm saying is, he's an immediate upgrade to the bench at the 3, and can score on his own.

Man, i thought you'd been trying to find a ticket out of town for Tony since 2004! With Kristic in OKC maybe you can finally work that Collison trade, tho considering everyone at the 4 there is expiring, maybe not?

I have been trying to find a better fit for the Celtics, not just dump TA in any trade. 

Adding a non defensive tweener is not what the Celtics need.  Especially if it costs the Celtics the 4th bigman on the team.  Can you see the issues when Doc goes with Warrick and Powe as the PF and C?

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 10:04:14 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Not a good fit. 

I have been trying to find a better fit for the Celtics, not just dump TA in any trade. 

Adding a non defensive tweener is not what the Celtics need.  Especially if it costs the Celtics the 4th bigman on the team.  Can you see the issues when Doc goes with Warrick and Powe as the PF and C?

Like I said previously, you'd probably not do this deal unless you felt confident you're going to add size in the coming weeks, whether it be PJ or Joe Smith or what have you. If you tell me we shouldn't trade anyone until we address that need, it'd be a fair arguement for sure. Like I also mentioned before, Warrick was not considered a poor defender in school. I'm not convinced he wouldn't improve here, just as Ray has, and Paul has and Eddie has, and Scal has and Baby has, and so forth.

My primary point is this: the bench is in trouble. It's fine to talk about defense winning chanpionships to a point. It does, it has to be ar the core of what this team does. The bench still needs to be able to score, and make the other team work on the defensive end. Right now, it ain't happenin'. Too much standing around, too mmuch dribbling, no confidence in the group. I like Baby's d and hustle, but in the big picture i'm really concerned about the way the team stalls when the starters go to the bench. A spark is needed. If we don't get it, we got major problems.....

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 10:27:21 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Not a good fit. 

Like I said previously, you'd probably not do this deal unless you felt confident you're going to add size in the coming weeks, whether it be PJ or Joe Smith or what have you. If you tell me we shouldn't trade anyone until we address that need, it'd be a fair arguement for sure. Like I also mentioned before, Warrick was not considered a poor defender in school. I'm not convinced he wouldn't improve here, just as Ray has, and Paul has and Eddie has, and Scal has and Baby has, and so forth.

My primary point is this: the bench is in trouble. It's fine to talk about defense winning chanpionships to a point. It does, it has to be ar the core of what this team does. The bench still needs to be able to score, and make the other team work on the defensive end. Right now, it ain't happenin'. Too much standing around, too mmuch dribbling, no confidence in the group. I like Baby's d and hustle, but in the big picture i'm really concerned about the way the team stalls when the starters go to the bench. A spark is needed. If we don't get it, we got major problems.....

I agree that a chance on the bench is needed.  I just don't think this is the change that will help the Celtics.  Keep the chips until they find the trade that works.

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 10:48:50 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Not a good fit. 

I agree that a chance on the bench is needed.  I just don't think this is the change that will help the Celtics.  Keep the chips until they find the trade that works.

fair enough. how do you feel about Nocioni? You'd have to think CHI would like to get rid of his deal long term. i like it considering it actually gets cheaper as it goes along, with a team option in 12/13. meanwhile he'd fit right in on this team: tough d, aggressive winner's mentality, good driving to the hoop. his injury history is a risk and the contract is not ideal, but everyone seems to agree our options are ltd considering what we have to offer.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 10:53:56 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Andres Nocioni  would be a great fit here in Boston I dont know if we have the contracts to get him... Of course there is a way i just dont know it but if would be sweet to get him and maybe lindsay hunter with him.. I def. Think the celts need to make a trade to improve this bench though!!! Driving me crazy

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 10:55:14 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I like Nocioni.  Just don't think the Celtics have the chips to get him.

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 11:06:24 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
yeah looks tough the get Noce. here's a trade that works in salary match, but assumes Chi is basically looking to dump salary and essentially rebuilding (which is absolutely a possibility considering what they're paying Deng at the same position).

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=2367~138~3019~1021~2456&teams=4~4~4~4~2&te=&cash=

If they trade Heinrich and / or lose Gordon, Tony can be a stop gap, and he is after all from the area. But he's hardly a great fit with Rose in the backcourt. You can add Walker, or a pick or cash or whatever, but the trade doesn't get much more exciting for CHI than this.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 06:51:05 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
yeah looks tough the get Noce. here's a trade that works in salary match, but assumes Chi is basically looking to dump salary and essentially rebuilding (which is absolutely a possibility considering what they're paying Deng at the same position).

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=2367~138~3019~1021~2456&teams=4~4~4~4~2&te=&cash=

If they trade Heinrich and / or lose Gordon, Tony can be a stop gap, and he is after all from the area. But he's hardly a great fit with Rose in the backcourt. You can add Walker, or a pick or cash or whatever, but the trade doesn't get much more exciting for CHI than this.
I think if we added a couple million in cash and they threw in an option to switch a future draft position with us, assuming they use the cash to buy out Scal or POB/Sam, then this is more realistic as a cap clearing move for them.

Or maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. I do agree that offensive spark off our bench is missing. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2008, 06:57:52 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
I like it, get rid of Tony and his no hops contract and get rid of Baby because he sucks, there's enough season to make up the chemistry.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2008, 07:18:24 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
yah,nocioni would be awesome. he looks like he would have terrible B.O.,bad breath. i wonder if he does'nt shower before the game on purpose to tick off his opponent.i know i'd hate if he was guarding me.