Author Topic: Trade Idea: Warrick & Ross for TA & Baby  (Read 9690 times)

Trade Idea: Warrick & Ross for TA & Baby
« on: December 30, 2008, 04:10:05 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
MEM's plan for the future is starting to become more clear, as they look to build around Juice, Gay and Gasol. In the ongoing "Four Years Later, TA..." topic, I tossed out the trade idea above as one that could make some sense for both teams.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=2188~2794~2367~3200&teams=2~2~29~29&te=&cash=

Mayo is growing as a player and will likely become a scoring 1 as that growth continues. Conley has not lived up to his potential, and his value may diminish if they keep him on much longer. As I's stated before (and Chad Ford concured with in his chat today), the Grizz should move Mayo to the 1 and add a driving 2 to the mix, while trading Conley. Tony would be an interesting experiment there at low cost, as he can run the floor in their current up-and-down style. Lowry could then come off the bench as he should. Memphis is very thin at the 4 and Davis could be a good role player for them going forward, and get back to SEC territory. 

Meanwhile, they're not going to pay Warrick to be Rudy Gay's back up. He's far from a great 1-on-1 defender but has length and agility, and would likely improve in a real system. His scoring potential and energy could be a real asset. Ross has had a nice season (a number of us were in favor of signing him as back-up 2 over the summer). He's still playing strong defense and knocking down a nice % of shots, which he takes selectively. He could be a nice insurance policy at the 2 or even 3 as we head towards the post season.

It's basically a 2 for 1 of Warrick, the best player in the deal, for Tony and Baby, two young pieces that make sense for a growing young team.

And yes, I get that folks here think Tony has no value. But Chris Wallace has seen Tony at his best, so perhaps he'd take a chance on his again, considering this is a very low risk move...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 05:01:33 PM by IndeedProceed »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Warrick & Ross for TA & Baby
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 04:26:54 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Yeah. I like that deal.

I think Hakim Warrick would fill a rebounding and scoring need and be an effective big player for Boston.

Quinton Ross is another outside threat to backup Ray Allen and Eddie House.

We want to make sure that Gabe Pruitt is ready for regular stints.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 04:36:45 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I have no idea why Memphis would do this.

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 04:42:48 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

just gave you a TP for creativity.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 05:00:37 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Warrick would be an interesting add onto this team, but I dont see Memphis trading him for Tony Allen, much less Tony Allen for both Warrick and Ross.

I think it would be possible to land him, but it would take probably a throw in and maybe even like a 2nd round pick.....and thats even if Memphis thinks that much of Tony Allen.  I dont think they'd throw Ross in.
Greg

Re: Trade Idea: Warrick & Ross for TA & Baby
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 05:02:37 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I don't think this trade makes a whole lot of sense for either side. Warrick is so skinny they keep trying to make him a 3.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 05:11:31 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I don't think this trade makes a whole lot of sense for either side. Warrick is so skinny they keep trying to make him a 3.

A couple of reasons Memphis may consider this: 1) Memphis is very thin at the 2. Mayo's future is as a Billups-type PG, and short of him they have no one (not counting Ross who is a stop gap for them as they rebuild) 2) TA comes cheap, which is always a priority for Heisley. He's got a year and half to grow there and a very reasonable price, and 3) they have no 4s beyond Darrell Arthur -- Warrick is not a 4, and i think we can all agree that's Baby's natural position.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 05:17:26 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Are you aware that Tony Allen was an unrestricted free agent just a couple of months ago, available to be signed for cheap, and Memphis didn't show interest for him - at least enough to sign him? If Memphis wanted Tony Allen at this price, they would have signed him.

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 05:25:39 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Are you aware that Tony Allen was an unrestricted free agent just a couple of months ago, available to be signed for cheap, and Memphis didn't show interest for him - at least enough to sign him? If Memphis wanted Tony Allen at this price, they would have signed him.

i'm aware that they didn't make him an offer yes. i don't see any reason why that would prevent them from trading for the guy if he could work well for them now, especially for a guy they've been shopping for a year who they have no intention of re-signing.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 05:32:42 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

Thanks.  But I still don't know why Memphis does this.  Ross and Tony are similar players.  Ross would probably fit us better than Tony because he's better with the ball, a better shooter, and almost as good a one on one defender.

At this stage, Warrick is a better player than Davis. But probably not for us.  Davis plays his best defense against bigger centers.  He is terrific at using his bulk and plays particularly good defensively against Ilgauskas..Kind of a critical thing for us. There is no way that Warrick helps us in the same way.

Sounds like a lateral move,  at best, for Memphis.  Sounds like it'd be a huge gamble for us.

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 05:36:23 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

i'm aware that they didn't make him an offer yes. i don't see any reason why that would prevent them from trading for the guy if he could work well for them now, especially for a guy they've been shopping for a year who they have no intention of re-signing.

Why would they trade a guy they have no intention of re-signing for a guy they never had any intention of signing?

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 06:02:37 PM »

Offline MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Doesn't make sense for us. First, TA>>>Ross. There's a reason only Memphis offered him a contract, and an unguaranteed one at that. As for Warrick, he is more talented then Big Baby, but he doesn't fit here. Neither Powe or Warrick can play center, while Big Baby can just because of his strength. So we lose our only backup center right now for a sf/pf and a significant downgrade from TA to Ross.

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 06:40:27 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Why would they trade a guy they have no intention of re-signing for a guy they never had any intention of signing?

How do you have any idea what they're intentions are or were? i'll admit i'm not the GM of the Grizzlies, if you'll admit the same. but it just so happens the guy who is was partly responsible for bring tony in once before.

do you have anything interesting to add about the relevance of the trade idea for the teams involved? 

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 06:43:57 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Thanks.  But I still don't know why Memphis does this.  Ross and Tony are similar players.  Ross would probably fit us better than Tony because he's better with the ball, a better shooter, and almost as good a one on one defender.

At this stage, Warrick is a better player than Davis. But probably not for us.  Davis plays his best defense against bigger centers.  He is terrific at using his bulk and plays particularly good defensively against Ilgauskas..Kind of a critical thing for us. There is no way that Warrick helps us in the same way.

Sounds like a lateral move,  at best, for Memphis.  Sounds like it'd be a huge gamble for us.

i think you'd only make this move if you felt the signing of a big was in the works. my motivation in this deal is to see an increased ability for scoring on the second unit, which i think is a major concern. but i agree the biggest issue here would be the loss of baby's post defense.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 07:36:54 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

How do you have any idea what they're intentions are or were? i'll admit i'm not the GM of the Grizzlies, if you'll admit the same. but it just so happens the guy who is was partly responsible for bring tony in once before.

do you have anything interesting to add about the relevance of the trade idea for the teams involved? 

What do you want me to add? You can't provide a good reason why Memphis would do this, so what can I say? Saying that we can't know for sure what Wallace thinks is just nonsensical. With the same rationale, I can suggest that we should trade Scal+Giddens for Brook Lopez. I have no idea why Memphis would do this. Ross is a cheaper version of Tony Allen, a defensive minded backup. They have plenty of role-players, bigs and smalls, including Warrick. If they're shopping him, they're clearly asking a more expensive price than Tony Allen+BBD.

Aren't you the same poster who proposed the trade of Scal+TA for Najera+SWilliams+Boone? And John Salmons for Bill Walker and TA/Scal? I don't want to be rude or the guys who spoils the fun, and I'm not usually bothered by somewhat surrealistic trade scenarios, but I see a pattern here, so allow me to give you my sincere opinion: you clearly, constantly and consistently overestimate the value of our players. By a lot. Seriously, a gigantic lot. 

ETA: although I think that Allen and BBD are the better players on this trade. Allen is Ross with a more developed offensive game and I'd take Davis defense over Warrick's offense.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 08:08:07 PM by cordobes »