Author Topic: Does anyone think the Diesel would come here cheap to win another ring?  (Read 5391 times)

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Not sure how long his contract runs, but if he really wants to be known as at top three or four center he could really solidify that with another 1 or 2 rings.  Two would give him six rings, then I think No question he is a top three center of all time.

So would the big man ever come here. To make sure Kobe and Bynum don't get anymore rings. And he ends up getting a couple more. Playing on a team a perfect fit for him. My only question would be Shaq, Perk, Chemistry. But now we are talking about Mutumbo PJ and joe smith and sean williams, How bout Shaq Perk And Garnett.

Re: Does anyone think the Diesel would come here cheap to win another ring?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 10:25:59 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
He would be a slightly better fit on this team than Jerome James.  Only slightly.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 10:29:26 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Shaq is paid $20 million this year and $20 million next year, so there's really no way to bring him here in the short term.

I doubt Shaq would want to come here and be seen as the fourth or fifth best player.  He's universally seen as a top-four center now, I think (along with Russell, Wilt, and Kareem, slightly ahead of Hakeem), and no number of rings would move him up on that list, in my opinion.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 10:32:19 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I don't see his and KG's personalities blending well.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Shaq is paid $20 million this year and $20 million next year, so there's really no way to bring him here in the short term.

I doubt Shaq would want to come here and be seen as the fourth or fifth best player.  He's universally seen as a top-four center now, I think (along with Russell, Wilt, and Kareem, slightly ahead of Hakeem), and no number of rings would move him up on that list, in my opinion.

Yeah I agree, Shaq believes he's just so good, why would he come somewhere just to be 4th banana. It took literally less than a season for Phoenix's offense to become completely Shaq centric while he's on the floor. Hows he gonna feel about being the 5th best offensive option on the floor while he's out there with the starters. Teams, like the rest of the world, need ditch diggers too, and Kendrick Perkins is great fit for us because he doesn't care if he averages 8 points and 7 boards a game.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 11:08:01 AM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
He's having an awesome season. I hope he makes the ASG.

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 11:08:50 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
FWIW - I'd take Shaq in his prime first of any center. I never saw Wilt or Russel play so I'm clearly not an expert, but I think those guys get credit simply because they came "before". Shaq can take a cheap deal from Phoenix and get a lot more than we'll be able to offer.

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 03:24:24 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730

Yeah I agree, Shaq believes he's just so good, why would he come somewhere just to be 4th banana. It took literally less than a season for Phoenix's offense to become completely Shaq centric while he's on the floor. Hows he gonna feel about being the 5th best offensive option on the floor while he's out there with the starters. Teams, like the rest of the world, need ditch diggers too, and Kendrick Perkins is great fit for us because he doesn't care if he averages 8 points and 7 boards a game.

exactly - you sound like someone who understands basketball.

+TP from a lowly contributor to a moderator.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 04:16:58 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

I was just about to say.  If he comes here he better be comfortable coming off the bench, because hes not gonna be starting over Perk, thats for [dang] sure.
Greg

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 04:20:53 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
In 2 seasons when he might be available he would be  38yrs.old.Already the Suns are managing his time by playing him every other game at times.They have to preserve him for the playoffs now,where do you think his contribution be in 2 seasons from now?

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 05:05:46 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
In 2 seasons when he might be available he would be  38yrs.old.Already the Suns are managing his time by playing him every other game at times.They have to preserve him for the playoffs now,where do you think his contribution be in 2 seasons from now?

Well he's not gonna get any shorter...but this is a guy with 4 rings, 1 MVP, 3 Finals MVP's, 14 ASG appearances and 2 terrible movies under his belt. What does he have left to prove, and to who?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 05:14:17 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I'm not sure if we're going to be the favorite location for ring chasers in 2 years from now. Anyway, like others I don't see Shaq doing that.

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 05:50:46 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112

Well he's not gonna get any shorter...but this is a guy with 4 rings, 1 MVP, 3 Finals MVP's, 14 ASG appearances and 2 terrible movies under his belt. What does he have left to prove, and to who?
I think you missed my point...i cant see bringing him to Boston.

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 06:50:11 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Reason #1 he might come to Boston:
The opportunity to play against Kobe in the Finals.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 06:59:31 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Reason #1 he might come to Boston:
The opportunity to play against Kobe in the Finals.

TP Cman That's my biggest point too. A chance to win some more, while at the same time keeping Kobe from winning anymore.