Author Topic: Celtics (28-4) at Blazers (19-12) 12/30  (Read 69711 times)

Re: Celtics (28-4) at Blazers (19-12) 12/30
« Reply #300 on: December 31, 2008, 01:08:08 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Yeah that's whats driving me nuts right now...While this loss did suck, I'm surprisingly not as mad as I thought I would be about it.  Probably cause I feel the Golden State loss was still 10 times worse haha.

But it's driving me nuts that NO ONE in the media is talking about that 6 on 5 play.  They're just quickly showing the play and then moving on.  I'm guessing the only way it gets bigger is if the Celtics protest the game.

« Reply #301 on: December 31, 2008, 01:11:37 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
The problem was apperntly this crew can't count. Another crew would hopefully notice that 5+1= 6 long before the inbounds or during the play and whisle it dead.

The problem was none of these chuckle heads last night even noticed it until it was pointed out and explained to them post play.

But the replay clearly showed both Perk and KG trying to tell them for several seconds before that shot was made.  Right after play started it showed KG going right at one of the refs holding up 6 fingers.  They saw him and chose to ignore what he was telling them until after the play. 

« Reply #302 on: December 31, 2008, 01:14:03 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
The "oops, our bad" thing in refereeing is getting really old. They know they got it wrong, but they are powerless to fix it?

Never mind the main question: HOW ON EARTH DO THEY MISS THAT CALL TO BEGIN WITH? 

There are 3 refs and 10 (errr 11  ;) ) players on the court.  You have a bunch of guys jumping up and down like looney birds screaming that there are too many guys on the floor.  How do you miss that call?

It's not like it was even a judgment call, like with a charge vs a block.  It's black and white.  There are either the right amount of guys, or the wrong amount of guys on the court.

I don't know that it costs the C's the game (I tend to attribute that more to the Blazers beating the Celts to the ball time after time), but it was an inexcusable blown call.

----

On a completely different note:  Travis Outlaw keeps moving up my favorite non-Celtic list.  I just love the way he plays.  That was a hell of a drive he made at the end of the game.
Yup

« Reply #303 on: December 31, 2008, 01:14:12 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
that play had NO effect on the game whatsoever...

i think we just need to file this one away and move on...the celtics lost because they sucked down the stretch and the bench is just about non-existent.  this game didn't come down to one play...but a whole bunch of them.

gee, anyone think they should have guarded steve blake?  maybe a few of those WIDE OPEN shots affected the outcome, huh...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #304 on: December 31, 2008, 01:21:18 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Anyone else see a conspiracy a little bit in how none of the major outlets are reporting this? It's barely a blurb on the espn recap. You would think a play like this would get major airtime.

It's stuff like this that makes me think the NBA is corrupt. They'd love the Lakers to get HCA and then beat Boston.

There's an article on SI.COM but Thompson calling it a travesty.

Thanks for letting me know. TP. There's also a story on espn.com now from truehoop.

Thomsen is as outraged as I am.

« Reply #305 on: December 31, 2008, 01:28:45 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
that play had NO effect on the game whatsoever...

i think we just need to file this one away and move on...the celtics lost because they sucked down the stretch and the bench is just about non-existent.  this game didn't come down to one play...but a whole bunch of them.

gee, anyone think they should have guarded steve blake?  maybe a few of those WIDE OPEN shots affected the outcome, huh...
Look, there are a lot of us that are willing to acknowledge that the Blazers outplayed the C's in the 2nd half and that it's the players' own fault for letting the 6-on-5 thing affect their focus. But to say that the play had no effect on the game is just plain stupid. I don't know how else to say it.

I was at the game, sitting about 25 ft. from the C's bench. As a witness, I can assure you that EVERYTHING about the game changed after that play. I'm not trying to cry over spilled milk. I agree that we should file the loss away and move on. But let's also not ignore reality. This play needs to be addressed by the league. They're not going to reverse the score and give the C's the win - that's fine, I don't care. But to let this drift by as though there's no problem - that's just wrong.

« Reply #306 on: December 31, 2008, 01:43:11 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
I agree that the loss has to do more with the Celtics failure to execute in the second half and if it was because of that play, it is still their fault.  One play shouldn't be able to shake a championship team's focus.  But, the fact that they didn't stop play when they knew that there were 6 guys on the court and replay shows that KG made sure they knew, and the fact that they allowed that basket to stand says alot about the state of the officiating.  David Stern can talk until he is blue in the face how there was no truth to Donaghy's allegations that referees are given directives to influence a game, but when we see them allow a play like that to go on and then say they can't change it afterwards, that is just bull and adds more fuel to the fire that Donaghy was telling the truth.    This goes to the very integrity of the league. 

« Reply #307 on: December 31, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I agree that the loss has to do more with the Celtics failure to execute in the second half and if it was because of that play, it is still their fault.  One play shouldn't be able to shake a championship team's focus.  But, the fact that they didn't stop play when they knew that there were 6 guys on the court and replay shows that KG made sure they knew, and the fact that they allowed that basket to stand says alot about the state of the officiating.  David Stern can talk until he is blue in the face how there was no truth to Donaghy's allegations that referees are given directives to influence a game, but when we see them allow a play like that to go on and then say they can't change it afterwards, that is just bull and adds more fuel to the fire that Donaghy was telling the truth.    This goes to the very integrity of the league. 
To me, I don't see it as an integrity issue so much. I do agree with Ian Thomsen's article that it illustrates a fundamental flaw in the NBA's officiating management. I don't think these refs were trying to screw the C's as part of a conspiracy. I think they have been beaten down and/or brainwashed by their own management/training to the point where they couldn't think for themselves and take the initiative to correct the play right then and there.

« Reply #308 on: December 31, 2008, 05:22:51 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
well, i still believe a wide open steve blake on numerous occasions had more to do than some stupid blown call by the officials.  but to each his own...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #309 on: December 31, 2008, 05:24:49 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
well, i still believe a wide open steve blake on numerous occasions had more to do than some stupid blown call by the officials.  but to each his own...

The refs make teams leave Blake open. Haven't you heard?  ;D