Author Topic: Trade idea that will spark some heat on here...  (Read 15550 times)

Re: Trade idea that will spark some heat on here...
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2008, 10:59:31 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Ricky just got a 5 game suspension for violating the NBA's drug policy.

out of curiosity, do you know what he tested positive for?

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2008, 11:37:46 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
The Clippers would get the 2 best players, in my opinion.

Which is why I think they would pull that deal, but what do we get? We get a 6-7 guy who can score at will when given the green light without committing as many turnovers and boneheaded moves on the offensive end. He also passes the ball better, actually kicks the ball out to a shooter like House when he penetrates, and has the size to give them someone who can legitimately guard the 3 spot. He may not be as good a defender as TA, but I don't recall him being a bad one. Paul Davis also has the size and athletic ability to be able to help down low that BBD doesn't.

This move would be only about helping this second unit allow us to win #18. Not a long term good move by any stretch. There may be other similar guys that we could get with that package that would be a better fit, so let's hear them.

No this move would be about satisfying some man-crush on Risky "Get Buckets" Davis. Ricky Davis is worse than Tony Allen as a player now. Height is an interesting feature of player analysis, but far less important than how a player actually plays. The only part of the analysis that's right, is that this move makes the C's worse long term, the problem is it makes it the C's worse short term.

I don't know where your "man-crush" comment is coming or what it is insinuating, but that has no place on here. If you want to argue that you think TA is better than Ricky then go ahead. I would argue that offensively Ricky is a lot better than TA, and defensively TA is a bit better. TA is being asked though to guard 3's which his 6'4" slight stature isn't very good for, and Ricky was a decent defender. Not great, but better prepared to guard the bigger 3 spot. I am more interested in the scoring threat he brings that TA doesn't. Ricky has been a legitimate starter in this league for years based on his scoring ability. TA never has. I am fine with someone else filling that role other than Ricky, but throwing guys out there that there is no chance a deal could happen is useless. There is a guy who could give us a legit scoring threat off the bench we so desperately need. It also would come up with a real sized big instead of the fat SF we have playing the center spot. If you disagree, then don't bag on me. Show me statistically how I am wrong and come up with an idea of your own.
I've always heard "Man crush" used in the context of "Bill Simmons has a man crush on Tom Brady." There is nothing untoward there. If Ricky had not played on this team for a brief moment, where many on this board developed a fondness for him, then this trade idea would not have been suggested.

Ricky has the worst PER in the league at SF coming in at a whopping 1.0 - his PER began declining last year - he's lost a step and cant draw fouls as he has before and his defense is known for losing interest when his man doesn't have the ball - i.e. not the best team defender option. He's also saddled with injury and apparently drug problems.

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2008, 10:20:11 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Ricky just got a 5 game suspension for violating the NBA's drug policy.

out of curiosity, do you know what he tested positive for?

stupidity...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2008, 11:10:37 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
The article I read didn't say but I like Andy's suggestion.

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2008, 11:29:54 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Obviously if the guy is playing with banned substances I don't want him anywhere near the team. Let's look for a better option.

« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2008, 11:37:07 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Obviously if the guy is playing with banned substances I don't want him anywhere near the team. Let's look for a better option.

It's sort of shocking that Ricky hasn't been caught before now.  I've read in multiple places that his love of weed is pretty legendary, and I'm assuming that that's what he was caught with.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2008, 12:04:27 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Not to make any assumptions, but I would not be very surprised at all if several (or more) of the Celtics partake in banned substances as well...they just aren't dumb enough to get caught enough times to get suspended (I believe you only get suspended after 3 positive tests for marijuana...that alone should tell you how lightly the NBA treats that particular drug).