Author Topic: Trade idea that will spark some heat on here...  (Read 15556 times)

Trade idea that will spark some heat on here...
« on: December 28, 2008, 08:11:02 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Here's an interesting one that will cause a little bit of angst and drama I am guessing, but I am very serious about it. It works in the trade machine.

TA and BBD out to the Clippers
Ricky Davis and Paul Davis in.

We throw in a draft pick and some cash if needed to sweeten the pot. The Clips get rid of a guy who isn't going to be part of their plans and is presently out for a few weeks. They add a young guy with potential in BBD who has some upside. They don't give up much, however we get a guy who can create his own shot off the bench in Ricky who is a threat to put up some big points. He is bigger than TA and although he isn't necessarily quite as good a defender, he is a lot better scorer. Paul Davis gives us an almost 7 footer with a big body who can shoot the ball. He put up nice numbers as a senior at Michigan State both in points and rebounding.  He will be buried though behind Kaman and Camby there.

We call up Walker and he and Gabe get TA's minutes until Ricky returns. This way we see what we have in both a little more.

Thoughts?!

Re: Trade idea that will spark some heat on here...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 08:34:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Isn't Ricky Davis out indefinitely with knee tendonitis?

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 08:34:50 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Ricky has shot what? ~30% this year so far?  He's cooked.

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 08:36:15 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
Ricky has shot what? ~30% this year so far?  He's cooked.

Make that 27%

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 08:41:30 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Here's an interesting one that will cause a little bit of angst and drama I am guessing, but I am very serious about it. It works in the trade machine.

I stopped reading there. Ricky D is the personification of everything in the NBA that allows the Celtics to just play good D and end up winning a championship. Bringing him in could only hurt us.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 08:44:16 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Ricky is thought to be out until mid January, maybe late Jan.  That is why you give Gabe and Walker the run for a few weeks until he is completely healthy. That is also why this has a chance at happening. There has to be something in it for them. Eric Gordon is supposedly filling his role nicely while out and many think he will have a hard time getting it back. They get a younger guy in TA along with a unique big in BBD who can fill in behind the 4 and 5. None of the players kill the team if it doesn't work out.

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

I stopped reading there. Ricky D is the personification of everything in the NBA that allows the Celtics to just play good D and end up winning a championship. Bringing him in could only hurt us.

Based on?! You ought to have a reason behind the statement...

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 08:54:59 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
Well this page of his stats may be a good reason.

http://www.82games.com/0809/08LAC7.HTM

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 08:59:02 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Not a bad idea. Ricky is on short money, and might help provide some scoring for the 2nd unit, assuming he can get healthy. Davis, while less gifted than BBD, is also closer to what we actually need from the bench: size.

Still, if we're trading Tony, who's really our best bench defender, I'd like to get more in return. I have no qualms about trading BBD for either scoring or size.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 09:01:22 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Well this page of his stats may be a good reason.

http://www.82games.com/0809/08LAC7.HTM

That's great, however he has spent a huge amount of time in his career on bad teams that lost a lot of games. Yes part of that is due to him, but you can't argue the fact the guy can flat out score. As a second team guy for 10-15 min a night he would solve a really big problem we have getting the ball in the basket. He brings a lot of energy to the floor.

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 09:05:31 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Not a bad idea. Ricky is on short money, and might help provide some scoring for the 2nd unit, assuming he can get healthy. Davis, while less gifted than BBD, is also closer to what we actually need from the bench: size.

Still, if we're trading Tony, who's really our best bench defender, I'd like to get more in return. I have no qualms about trading BBD for either scoring or size.

I think you turn that second unit into a scoring unit vs. a defensive one. They don't have the size or ability to be a great defensive team like the first unit, so why try and pound a square peg into a round hole?! If you can't defend very well, then just outscore the other guys while out there. They try real hard on defense any way, so I am much less concerned about that than the offense drought we have.

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 09:25:01 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I think you turn that second unit into a scoring unit vs. a defensive one. They don't have the size or ability to be a great defensive team like the first unit, so why try and pound a square peg into a round hole?! If you can't defend very well, then just outscore the other guys while out there. They try real hard on defense any way, so I am much less concerned about that than the offense drought we have.

I hear what you're saying, but I believe it's more important that our 2nd unit be able to keep a lead than try to make up a deficit. I think it's easier to do that with a primarily defensive-minded bench.

Powe and Allen have the ability to be good defenders. If we could add some length at the wing and frontcourt, I'd be much happier about our chances.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 09:32:15 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

I hear what you're saying, but I believe it's more important that our 2nd unit be able to keep a lead than try to make up a deficit. I think it's easier to do that with a primarily defensive-minded bench.

Powe and Allen have the ability to be good defenders. If we could add some length at the wing and frontcourt, I'd be much happier about our chances.

I agree that Powe and Allen are decent defenders, but that is 2 out of 5. The others are too undersized to play defense. I think there is starting to be a big consensus that TA causes more damage than positives, so there would be one less if he was traded out.

If the other squads second unit comes out and puts 25 pts on the board during a game and we play good D and hold them to 18 but can't score more than that ourselves, how is that any different than us coming out and dropping 25-30 on their second unit. All I want from our reserves is to not lose the lead our starters will build on anyone. As long as it is a wash it doesn't matter if it was due to defense or offense. Sure I would love to have a good scoring defender, but teams don't let those go...

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 09:54:14 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Love ricky davis, but really dislike this idea...Those stats on the link above say it all. Ricky is a nice spark but is worse mentally than Tony Allen. Thats not something we need to deal with again. We need a young athletic guy with a high bball IQ. Ricky does not fit that role.

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 10:00:37 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
sorry...want NOTHING to do with ricky davis.  don't like him and i'm sure danny won't want him back.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."