Author Topic: Danny ainge has another shot at revamping the bench  (Read 21176 times)

Re: Danny ainge has another shot at revamping the bench
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2008, 11:15:49 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Honestly, I don't even like most of those players, not being the biggest fan of Najera (the current washed up edition), Williams and Rodriguez. Boone is solid. But it'd be a rape solely because of the relative market value of those guys compared to Tony Allen and Scalabrine. Rod Thorn and Kevin Pritchard aren't that stupid.
But, Chris Wallace might be if we involve him in a three way to Portland for Sergio. ;D

I think we would be better off 'buying the contract' of one of these type of players from a team that is in mild financial trouble or that has a tightwad owner. For example, Phoenix is always (lately) trying to dump salary, why not put together a package with players and cash for Barbosa and flotsam. Much more realistic IMO. 8)

one thing about Wallace is i remember reading around draft time that he was a big fan of JR Giddens....i think a few other teams were late fans of his too...

how's he doing in the D-League?

last time i checked he was playing pretty well. surpsingly between the two of them, he seems to be moe consitant than walker. Walker will have big games, but then have lines like 3 points/3 rebounds/ 6 TO's.

JR was averging like 20/8/and 6 last time i looked.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2008, 11:20:54 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Honestly, I don't even like most of those players, not being the biggest fan of Najera (the current washed up edition), Williams and Rodriguez. Boone is solid. But it'd be a rape solely because of the relative market value of those guys compared to Tony Allen and Scalabrine. Rod Thorn and Kevin Pritchard aren't that stupid.
But, Chris Wallace might be if we involve him in a three way to Portland for Sergio. ;D

I think we would be better off 'buying the contract' of one of these type of players from a team that is in mild financial trouble or that has a tightwad owner. For example, Phoenix is always (lately) trying to dump salary, why not put together a package with players and cash for Barbosa and flotsam. Much more realistic IMO. 8)

one thing about Wallace is i remember reading around draft time that he was a big fan of JR Giddens....i think a few other teams were late fans of his too...

how's he doing in the D-League?

last time i checked he was playing pretty well. surpsingly between the two of them, he seems to be moe consitant than walker. Walker will have big games, but then have lines like 3 points/3 rebounds/ 6 TO's.

JR was averging like 20/8/and 6 last time i looked.

This shouldn't be surprising at all.  Although Walker picked things up quicker in the preseason, and seemed more mentally prepared for the NBA, Giddens is older, more experienced, and has a much more well-rounded game at this point. 

If Giddens comes back more focussed (and not looking like a deer in headlights), he should be able to step in much quicker than Walker. 

I still think Walker is going to be the superior player, but he just has much more holes in his game to fill before being ready for prime-time.

« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2008, 11:58:29 AM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
Who is a legitimate player or players that can be moved on this team that will bring back a superior player?

KG, Paul, Ray, Perk, Rondo, House, TA, BBD, Powe, Scal, Pruitt, POB, Walker, Giddens, Sam.  No first round pick in 2009. So who is tradeable?

Pruitt, Walker, and Giddens, tough talented haven't proven anything, so what would a team give up for them?

POB has a lousy history, and though talented on the offensive end, has a bad rep, but potential.

BBD and Powe are undersized. Though I suppose either of them could be moved in a sign and trade at the end of the year (aren't their contracts up at the end of this season?).

Scal is . . . well, you know.  Probably not a lot of value there except for maybe his contract. Scal has more value for the Celtics than probably any other team.

Moving House would suggest that Gabe is ready to be the second point guard which the way Doc uses him doesn't sound realistic. Plus, that would mean keeping Sam as a player which based on Doc's comments, doesn't sound realistic either.

KG, Paul, Ray, Perk, and Rondo aren't going anywhere.

So that leaves Tony. I think Tony has more value than probably just about anyone here, and I also think we would not get back as much as he brings to the team, at least not this year.

My thought is that Danny can only tweak the team.  So that leaves Sam to retire and we pick up an FA, or something like a minor trade (Giddens and/or Walker) to get someone like Smith.  Other than that, it would appear that Danny would have to trade multiple players.  I don't see that happening on a team that is 28-4, and a coach that likes practice.

« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2008, 12:08:14 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Who is a legitimate player or players that can be moved on this team that will bring back a superior player?

KG, Paul, Ray, Perk, Rondo, House, TA, BBD, Powe, Scal, Pruitt, POB, Walker, Giddens, Sam.  No first round pick in 2009. So who is tradeable?

Pruitt, Walker, and Giddens, tough talented haven't proven anything, so what would a team give up for them?

POB has a lousy history, and though talented on the offensive end, has a bad rep, but potential.

BBD and Powe are undersized. Though I suppose either of them could be moved in a sign and trade at the end of the year (aren't their contracts up at the end of this season?).

Scal is . . . well, you know.  Probably not a lot of value there except for maybe his contract. Scal has more value for the Celtics than probably any other team.

Moving House would suggest that Gabe is ready to be the second point guard which the way Doc uses him doesn't sound realistic. Plus, that would mean keeping Sam as a player which based on Doc's comments, doesn't sound realistic either.

So that leaves Tony. I think Tony has more value than probably just about anyone here, and I also think we would not get back as much as he brings to the team, at least not this year.

My thought is that Danny can only tweak the team.  So that leaves Sam to retire and we pick up an FA, or something like a minor trade (Giddens and/or Walker) to get someone like Smith.  Other than that, it would appear that Danny would have to trade multiple players.  I don't see that happening on a team that is 28-4, and a coach that likes practice.

Good post, I just have a few comments. 

First, what comments has Doc made that makes you think Cassell isn't a viable option at PG?  I have been in and out here the last couple of weeks, so I must have missed it.  Could someone point me to a link or something, because that is pretty significant news IMO.

As far as trade value, for the most part I think what you said is accurate.  I think our two most valuable assets are Tony, and Powe...and I don't think either of them have significant value. 

Davis has more value to this team than he does to other teams (Similar to Powe...although I do think Powe has more value in general), and I think Pruitt, Giddens and Walker have very little value.

I think our best chance at a trade will be to find a guy that a team is looking to unload anyway, and we can tempt them with money.  So if they are trying to get rid of a guy with two years left, we offer them Scal and either a second round pick or one of the young guys, and then give them cash. 

Realistically thinking though, I think this team is going to be mostly working with free agents. 

« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2008, 12:17:44 PM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39

First, what comments has Doc made that makes you think Cassell isn't a viable option at PG?  I have been in and out here the last couple of weeks, so I must have missed it.  Could someone point me to a link or something, because that is pretty significant news IMO.

As far as trade value, for the most part I think what you said is accurate.  I think our two most valuable assets are Tony, and Powe...and I don't think either of them have significant value. 

Davis has more value to this team than he does to other teams (Similar to Powe...although I do think Powe has more value in general), and I think Pruitt, Giddens and Walker have very little value.

I think our best chance at a trade will be to find a guy that a team is looking to unload anyway, and we can tempt them with money.  So if they are trying to get rid of a guy with two years left, we offer them Scal and either a second round pick or one of the young guys, and then give them cash. 

Realistically thinking though, I think this team is going to be mostly working with free agents. 

I 'think' Doc said he wasn't expecting Sam to play this year. So trading House would most likely mean that we would have two point guards, and then Sam. That's all I was suggesting there.

I agree with everything you posted.

« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2008, 12:41:16 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
^^ good points, fellas.

At this point a trade seems very unlikely.  Our bench guys are more valuable to us because they are fully committed to our defensive system.  Clearing out multiple rotation guys to make a worthwhile deal will severely undercut our greatest strength, team defense.

I think given all the young guys on small contracts (Pruitt, POB, Walker, Giddens), it seems more likely one gets cut to make room for a FA signing.

Keeping in mind that everyones $ is guaranteed, I don't expect Wyc to sign off on more than 1 cut/1 pickup.  My hope is that we can get a PJ Brown-like backup C. 

Who gets cut?  Well, who cares frankly - none of the 4 mentioned above will help the playoff push.  Sam on the other hand very well could, he is essentially a Rondo-Injury insurance policy.  Making him a full time coach would put great pressure on Pruitt to play big mpg deep into the playoffs (should RR go down), and as much as I like the kid --- at that time of the year I'd prefer Cassell.

« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2008, 12:45:18 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I 'think' Doc said he wasn't expecting Sam to play this year. So trading House would most likely mean that we would have two point guards, and then Sam. That's all I was suggesting there.

I agree with everything you posted.

doc said he doesn't expect to play sam until LATEr in the year, big diferance. He's going to rest until way late in the season (march i would guess) to save himself for the playoffs.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2008, 12:46:05 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
^^ good points, fellas.

At this point a trade seems very unlikely.  Our bench guys are more valuable to us because they are fully committed to our defensive system.  Clearing out multiple rotation guys to make a worthwhile deal will severely undercut our greatest strength, team defense.

I think given all the young guys on small contracts (Pruitt, POB, Walker, Giddens), it seems more likely one gets cut to make room for a FA signing.

Keeping in mind that everyones $ is guaranteed, I don't expect Wyc to sign off on more than 1 cut/1 pickup.  My hope is that we can get a PJ Brown-like backup C. 

Who gets cut?  Well, who cares frankly - none of the 4 mentioned above will help the playoff push.  Sam on the other hand very well could, he is essentially a Rondo-Injury insurance policy.  Making him a full time coach would put great pressure on Pruitt to play big mpg deep into the playoffs, and as much as I like the kid --- at that time of the year I'd prefer Cassell.

I think the cut will depend on who they are signing.  If they sign a PG, I expect it to be Sam...mainly because I think if they sign a PG, it is because they have come to the conclusion that Sam will not be playing this year (I really think they have been getting him ready for a late season return).  If they sign a big man, I expect it to be POB.  His contract is reportedly for the minimum, and not guaranteed for next year, so there would be no reason to keep him if they sign another big man. 

Now, if it is a wing...well, then its a toss-up.

I also would not be surprised if they do jettison a guy like Giddens for a future pick (even a second rounder if they can't get a first rounder). 

« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2008, 02:05:52 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
I think Sam can realistically play better this year than he did last year, he'll be more rested whenever they start using him and he should actually know the offense and defense by that point. Rondo can also play more than he did.

I also think House is more trade-able than any other player on the roster. His skill (3pt shooting) is one teams need, and he's seen as an all around good guy and hustles enough to guard opposing PGs if paired with a bigger PG and can play PG if played with wings who can handle the ball.

« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2008, 01:06:51 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
For me the best thing danny could do is admit he made a mistake signing scal, cut him, also cut patrick obryant(or trade him for sean williams) and bring up bill walker and giddens.

We need players that can create their shots. Plus just like the lakers and cavs we need a little more luxury in regards to using the player that has the hot hand with the big three or four late in the game.