Author Topic: Danny ainge has another shot at revamping the bench  (Read 21182 times)

Re: Danny ainge has another shot at revamping the bench
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2008, 01:27:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It doesn't matter if we were tied with 2 mins remaining in the game. How many times were the celts tight in close against inferior teams late in the game just to pull it out eventually.

Lakers have bynum, ariza, odom even that crybaby vujacic. When farmar comesback it becomes even worst

Not really getting how most of our fans are using excuses such as we just won 19 in a row and we are the defending champs to not needing to worry just a little bit here.

What is the relevance of the games we pulled out? What is the relevance of how many games were against inferior and how many games were against solid teams? We won't pull them all out! We will lose more close games, guaranteed. So what!

These aren't excuses. This is reality. Teams lose games. You are going way overboard. Why is this loss any worse than the loss against the Pacers? Is this loss any more significant than any of our losses last year? Not at all. It is just one loss among 82 games.

If you though the Celts could win at will, this game is an eye opener, but NO team can win at will. Every team in the history of the NBA has had double digit losses.

Yesterday's game does not prove your point any more than the first game against the Pacers or Denver proved that they are superior. Enough with the opportunists who act as if each loss is proof of their preconceptions.

Even worse are the posters who claim Doc is mismanaging the team because the bench doesn't dominate. It is delusion to insist that times when our bench is ineffective can be blamed on not giving minutes to Pruitt. Time to face reality - we don't have the best bench in basketball. Playing a mediocre talent like Pruitt before he is ready is not going to be a game changer.

We didn't even have the best bench in basketball last year, but we had an effective system.

i have rather lost to the pacers again then to lose the lakers. You know why?? Lakers and celtics would destroy the pacers in a 7 game series.

This is not only one loss as simple as that and that we needed to lose one of these days anyways.

Lakers are good enough to compete for the best record in the league plus if we face them they have the advantage right now.

For nickagneta

I don't think you saw ariza diving for balls etc. He was a non stats factor no doubt. Also Bynum was blocking almost anything that came into the paint and seriously hampered our pentration game. He was alot more of a factor than perk.

What ainge needs to do imo is buyout patrick obryant or send him to dleague, bring up bill walker and entice joe smith, mutombo, pj brown to join us.  If he can't get one of those two vets to come, i hope he is working on trading big baby, pruitt and/or 2nd round pick for a decent vet like jeff foster

I think you are seriously over valuing what Ariza and Bynum gave the Lakers in that game yesterday. Vujacic and Odom were huge factors yesterday and Btnum and Ariza weren't.

You remember two Ariza plays where he saved the ball from going out and I remember two plays were the Celtics got jobbed by the refs on bad calls because missed the fact that Ariza was out when he through the ball back in.

You remember lots of Bynum blocks but stats and my memory say that he had two blocks and a bunch of times where he got away with hacking the hell out of a player without being called for it. Two free throws in the first half even though the Celtics scored 2/3 of their points from in the paint and went constantly inside is a joke.

Stat line

Perk   8 PTS 7 REBS 2 BLKS 34 MIN
Bynum  9 PTS 7 REBS 2 BLKS 36 MIN

How exactly do you get that Bynum was a large factor in this game and Perk wasn't?

Ariza  2 PTS 3 ASTS 1 REB 1 STL 1 TO 18 MIN

This is the stat line of some magical intangibles player that because he was inaccurately determined to have saved two balls when he was already out of bounds was a huge factor in the game?

Huge factors in this game was Pierce's and Ray Allen's ball handling, Kobe's great passing to a wide open Gasol in the last two minutes of the game, the disproportionate amount of calls and non calls the Lakers got in the first half, odom's huge two three pointers, and the lack of any cohesion from the C's second unit when they were on the floor all together.

I don't know what game you were watching but are you sure it's the same one the rest of us were watching because your observations and those of the rest of us differ greatly.

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 01:59:14 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
It doesn't matter if we were tied with 2 mins remaining in the game. How many times were the celts tight in close against inferior teams late in the game just to pull it out eventually.

Lakers have bynum, ariza, odom even that crybaby vujacic. When farmar comesback it becomes even worst

Not really getting how most of our fans are using excuses such as we just won 19 in a row and we are the defending champs to not needing to worry just a little bit here.

What is the relevance of the games we pulled out? What is the relevance of how many games were against inferior and how many games were against solid teams? We won't pull them all out! We will lose more close games, guaranteed. So what!

These aren't excuses. This is reality. Teams lose games. You are going way overboard. Why is this loss any worse than the loss against the Pacers? Is this loss any more significant than any of our losses last year? Not at all. It is just one loss among 82 games.

If you though the Celts could win at will, this game is an eye opener, but NO team can win at will. Every team in the history of the NBA has had double digit losses.

Yesterday's game does not prove your point any more than the first game against the Pacers or Denver proved that they are superior. Enough with the opportunists who act as if each loss is proof of their preconceptions.

Even worse are the posters who claim Doc is mismanaging the team because the bench doesn't dominate. It is delusion to insist that times when our bench is ineffective can be blamed on not giving minutes to Pruitt. Time to face reality - we don't have the best bench in basketball. Playing a mediocre talent like Pruitt before he is ready is not going to be a game changer.

We didn't even have the best bench in basketball last year, but we had an effective system.

i have rather lost to the pacers again then to lose the lakers. You know why?? Lakers and celtics would destroy the pacers in a 7 game series.

This is not only one loss as simple as that and that we needed to lose one of these days anyways.

Lakers are good enough to compete for the best record in the league plus if we face them they have the advantage right now.

For nickagneta

I don't think you saw ariza diving for balls etc. He was a non stats factor no doubt. Also Bynum was blocking almost anything that came into the paint and seriously hampered our pentration game. He was alot more of a factor than perk.

What ainge needs to do imo is buyout patrick obryant or send him to dleague, bring up bill walker and entice joe smith, mutombo, pj brown to join us.  If he can't get one of those two vets to come, i hope he is working on trading big baby, pruitt and/or 2nd round pick for a decent vet like jeff foster

I think you are seriously over valuing what Ariza and Bynum gave the Lakers in that game yesterday. Vujacic and Odom were huge factors yesterday and Btnum and Ariza weren't.

You remember two Ariza plays where he saved the ball from going out and I remember two plays were the Celtics got jobbed by the refs on bad calls because missed the fact that Ariza was out when he through the ball back in.

You remember lots of Bynum blocks but stats and my memory say that he had two blocks and a bunch of times where he got away with hacking the hell out of a player without being called for it. Two free throws in the first half even though the Celtics scored 2/3 of their points from in the paint and went constantly inside is a joke.

Stat line

Perk   8 PTS 7 REBS 2 BLKS 34 MIN
Bynum  9 PTS 7 REBS 2 BLKS 36 MIN

How exactly do you get that Bynum was a large factor in this game and Perk wasn't?

Ariza  2 PTS 3 ASTS 1 REB 1 STL 1 TO 18 MIN

This is the stat line of some magical intangibles player that because he was inaccurately determined to have saved two balls when he was already out of bounds was a huge factor in the game?

Huge factors in this game was Pierce's and Ray Allen's ball handling, Kobe's great passing to a wide open Gasol in the last two minutes of the game, the disproportionate amount of calls and non calls the Lakers got in the first half, odom's huge two three pointers, and the lack of any cohesion from the C's second unit when they were on the floor all together.

I don't know what game you were watching but are you sure it's the same one the rest of us were watching because your observations and those of the rest of us differ greatly.

regardless of what happened in that game, that Laker bench is potent....especially when they get Farmar back.

Farmar
Vujacic
Ariza
Odom

maybe the best bench in the league.

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2008, 02:00:20 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
hopefully pj brown watched the game yesterday, and called danny this morning.

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2008, 02:01:48 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.

i'm actually hoping your scenario is reversed...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2008, 02:03:54 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

actually, ur right!

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2008, 02:04:27 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

maybe they were both watching and had a "jinx" moment by calling each other at the exact same moment and got a busy signal
Yup

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2008, 02:58:22 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
hopefully pj brown watched the game yesterday, and called  :)danny this morning.

maybe they were both watching and had a "jinx" moment by calling each other at the exact same moment and got a busy signal

not sure if that's good, Redz...doesn't that mean you're not allowed to say the other person's name (or something goofy along those lines)?  :)

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2008, 03:05:50 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
hopefully pj brown watched the game yesterday, and called  :)danny this morning.

not sure if that's good, Redz...doesn't that mean you're not allowed to say the other person's name (or something goofy along those lines)?  :)

maybe one of them had his fingers crossed
Yup

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2008, 03:30:34 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
Mutombo would have helped us last night..

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2008, 03:32:24 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Yeh, way too many dunks by LA
Yup

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2008, 03:39:46 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25

Yeh, way too many dunks by LA

We need someone to neutralize Bynum. I didn't think he would be a factor but he really played well for the lakers. Perkins looked uncomfortable being defended by him..

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2008, 05:39:38 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
How can you argue that our bench is not flawed?

our backup PG is NOT a point guard
our two guard can't shoot
our SF--well we don't have one, unless you count Scal(oh,Lord)
our C is two 6'8" power forwards, and the one true C we have hasn't been given a shot
at PF we're overstocked with Powe,BBD and Scal

On top of being positionally flawed, Doc usually subs at least four of them at a time! Our starters have baled out the subs time and again this year after they have lost leads, or given back big portions of huge leads, but, you can't keep getting away with it against the deeper, better teams!
Phil Jackson always had at least 2/3 starters mixed with 2/3 subs to keep continuity. I hate PJ, but every time we'd have Powe and BBD in there, he'd have Bynum in and it was a total mismatch!

Hopefully Danny can pull something out of his sleeve, cause our bench is really letting us down--and it's a shame cause Rondo and Perk have really come into their own this year.

One significant thing Doc has done really well this year is keep the starters minutes down, which should help later in the season and playoffs!

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2008, 06:05:19 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
here's what's interesting (in light of the '86 celtics debate taking place in another thread)...

...just imagine if the lakers could have brought a healthy bill walton off their bench.

oh, and also imagine the guys playing the role of gasol and bynum (hint: mchale and parish) being 20 times better.

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2008, 07:28:31 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Yeah, or imagine the 86 squad playing yesterdays game. Who do you think wins that game. No contest, the 86 team hands down against yesterdays Lakers, at L.A., at Boston or at my high school gymnasium. Food for thought as to how todays group compares to the 86 squad.

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2008, 07:55:29 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
The Celtics have lost 3 games. This is not a big deal. Especially since a good Lakers team had home court advantage on Christmas day. Odds were stacked against the C's and they came up short. I truly think we'll see something like Big Baby and Giddens being traded for a defensive stopper at the sf and then the C's will bring in Mutombo.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird