Author Topic: Danny ainge has another shot at revamping the bench  (Read 21183 times)

Danny ainge has another shot at revamping the bench
« on: December 26, 2008, 01:15:47 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Lakers have one of the deepest bench and starting unit in the league right now along with the cavs.

Tonight we lost because lakers have guys like ariza(reminds me of posey), odom on the bench, bynum starting and celtics are minus a key vet like posey, pj brown and never had perk play a clutch role(though he hasn't been bad playing so so teams during this streak)

At this point if we meet the lakers in the final we won't win it like year even with home advantage. Don't want to be a debbie downer but thats the truth

I know Danny ainge really wanted at least posey back but when he didn't get him he didn't do enough to improve our team. (Cept getting guys back like house and allen)

Guys like matt barnes would of been of big help(he signed on a lowly contract also with the suns) and i honestly don't like the way he is not utilizing a great talent like bill walker just because he is a rookie.

Tired of patrick obryant being useless(poor signing) , pruitt being underused etc.

Its time now to waive, cut, trade, waste some cash , take risk on rookies to really get our team even 75 percent close to the team we had last year. (balanced starting and bench, shooters etc)

Re: Danny ainge has another shot at revamping the bench
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 01:34:59 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Wow. Weren't we tied with like 2 minutes left on their home court? Get a grip.

Even last year, we lost 2 games in LA and had to come back form 24 down to win another, and that was without Bynum. Seems we are doing just as well without PJ and Posey. Don't be so overdramatic.

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 01:37:53 AM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
I do think we could use PJ but yeah, the whole Posey thing is an overreaction.

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 02:04:09 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Even last year, we lost 2 games in LA and had to come back form 24 down to win another, and that was without Bynum. Seems we are doing just as well without PJ and Posey. Don't be so overdramatic.

your being too cool about this all. think about last years celts team vs this years lakers team. think hard bud

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 02:14:35 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

your being too cool about this all. think about last years celts team vs this years lakers team. think hard bud
I'm trying to make sense of what you are saying.

Last year's team almost got swept in LA by a Lakers team that was missing Bynum. We do not know if last year's Celtics team would have beaten this year's Laker team, but we can expect it would find it more difficult with Bynum in play and with both Gasol and Ariza fully incorporated into the system.

Is that what you were looking for bud?

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 02:25:50 AM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
Lakers have one of the deepest bench and starting unit in the league right now along with the cavs.

Tonight we lost because lakers have guys like ariza(reminds me of posey), odom on the bench, bynum starting and celtics are minus a key vet like posey, pj brown and never had perk play a clutch role(though he hasn't been bad playing so so teams during this streak)

At this point if we meet the lakers in the final we won't win it like year even with home advantage. Don't want to be a debbie downer but thats the truth

I know Danny ainge really wanted at least posey back but when he didn't get him he didn't do enough to improve our team. (Cept getting guys back like house and allen)

Guys like matt barnes would of been of big help(he signed on a lowly contract also with the suns) and i honestly don't like the way he is not utilizing a great talent like bill walker just because he is a rookie.

Tired of patrick obryant being useless(poor signing) , pruitt being underused etc.

Its time now to waive, cut, trade, waste some cash , take risk on rookies to really get our team even 75 percent close to the team we had last year. (balanced starting and bench, shooters etc)

It's one game. The Lakers are deeper because of Bynum, but to say we'd lose in a 7 game series is premature. We were tied near the end of this one, they'll make adjustments.

You need to make a choice: grasp reality or persist in delusion. Choose wisely.

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 02:40:09 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

This sounds like a typical monday morning QB post. The reason why those guys don't get more minutes is because they aren't ready. If anyone likes Walker and Pruitt, it would be the guys who drafted them, Danny and Doc, but they don't see them as being ready.

You don't play guys on championship teams just because they have talent. They have to be ready to produce.

No matter what moves we do, we will still lose games. And after each loss, there will always be people who blame it on something.

Someone who thinks we should trade KG for Matt Harpring can complain after every loss or after every bad game KG has, "See, I told you we should trade KG". You can't overreact to single games.

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 02:53:11 AM »

Offline USG

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 161
I made this post on another board, but it seems to apply here too, so my view on the bench is as follows:

"Quite frankly, though, most of the pieces are there. It's just incredibly misused by Doc.

The current lineup is House, Allen, Scal (or Ray/Pierce), Powe, Davis

Between them, the best point player is, honest to God, Paul Pierce. This leads to a lot of poor clock management and turnovers. There's also a lack of scoring, as House is the only bench player who has any perimeter shot worth a [dang]. This lets the defense collapse into the paint for the most part, preventing Allen from driving successfully (though that doesn't keep him from trying, resulting in absolutely horrible possessions where he basically runs headfirst into someone and throws up a wild shot or turning the ball over.

Davis is the first piece that needs to go, and I can't stress this enough. Davis gums up the works. He absolutely does. Leon Powe is arguably the best bench player of the lot. He's a great rebounder, plays well under the basket, gets to the line often, etc. Davis seems to remove that part of his game, somehow. In the last 2 games where Davis was out and Powe was in, he posted lines of 10-5(4)-1-2, and 15-6(3)-1-3-2 (Pts-Reb(off)-Ast-Blk-Stl). Davis hurts the offense by keeping Powe out of his more natural position under the basket (hurts the defense in the same way) and setting far too many moving picks. Davis is best replaced by the long, PJ Brown sort of guy we need. Dikembe Mutumbo would be a nice get. If not, though, it's best to just keep him sitting, lest he decrease Powe's effectiveness.

Scal, pretty obviously, is also not a great piece. I don't really need to explain that.

The ideal lineup, as they have now, is Pruitt, House, Allen, Scal, Powe.
The ideal lineup, as they should have it by playoff time, is Pruit, House, Allen, Powe, and a tall PJ Brown type. Again, hopefully Mutumbo.

Pruitt and House provide the perimeter shooting they absolutely need. Pruitt is also an actual point guard, who can get the offense started quicker, and get it going beyond a pass and a shot. He's not exactly ready, but give him some more minutes, and he'll play well enough. House also gets to go back to SG and play his natural position. With House and Pruitt outside, Allen should have some more freedom to drive. Powe would get to work his offense properly, and the tall man could add the needed defense without providing Davis' offensive black hole.

But this isn't gonna happen, 'cause Doc is generally resistant to change. . ."

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 10:54:03 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
when the lakers come back to boston it will now be THE biggest game of the season, even bigger than this one.

we can officially close the book on last season and stop using it as a reference point.  our new measuring stick is December 25, 2008 - not last season's finals.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 11:31:36 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
It doesn't matter if we were tied with 2 mins remaining in the game. How many times were the celts tight in close against inferior teams late in the game just to pull it out eventually.

Lakers have bynum, ariza, odom even that crybaby vujacic. When farmar comesback it becomes even worst

Not really getting how most of our fans are using excuses such as we just won 19 in a row and we are the defending champs to not needing to worry just a little bit here.

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 11:47:57 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Please, we had a chance to win this game just like we had chances to win games 3 and 5 in the finals and came up short because of poor execution down the stretch...
Ariza didnt have much impact on this game and Bynum is officially no better than Perkins imo..
this was their revenge game in their minds and we still almost won, they really just outhustled us on their homecourt and that was the difference

Dont compare ariza with Posey, hes  not even as good as tony allen
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 11:50:57 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I agree we need to upgrade the bench but the Lakers bench isn't that great overall. They have Odom and Ariza. Sasha is nothing special and Farmer is severly overrated. I can name at least 10 young pgs who are better than he is.

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 11:51:10 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
It doesn't matter if we were tied with 2 mins remaining in the game. How many times were the celts tight in close against inferior teams late in the game just to pull it out eventually.

Lakers have bynum, ariza, odom even that crybaby vujacic. When farmar comesback it becomes even worst

Not really getting how most of our fans are using excuses such as we just won 19 in a row and we are the defending champs to not needing to worry just a little bit here.

What is the relevance of the games we pulled out? What is the relevance of how many games were against inferior and how many games were against solid teams? We won't pull them all out! We will lose more close games, guaranteed. So what!

These aren't excuses. This is reality. Teams lose games. You are going way overboard. Why is this loss any worse than the loss against the Pacers? Is this loss any more significant than any of our losses last year? Not at all. It is just one loss among 82 games.

If you though the Celts could win at will, this game is an eye opener, but NO team can win at will. Every team in the history of the NBA has had double digit losses.

Yesterday's game does not prove your point any more than the first game against the Pacers or Denver proved that they are superior. Enough with the opportunists who act as if each loss is proof of their preconceptions.

Even worse are the posters who claim Doc is mismanaging the team because the bench doesn't dominate. It is delusion to insist that times when our bench is ineffective can be blamed on not giving minutes to Pruitt. Time to face reality - we don't have the best bench in basketball. Playing a mediocre talent like Pruitt before he is ready is not going to be a game changer.

We didn't even have the best bench in basketball last year, but we had an effective system.

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 11:51:34 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Perk played Bynum to a draw.

Ariza was a non factor yesterday.

Farmer gives the Lakers less than what Eddie House gives the Celtics.

Lamar Odom had a nifty game but if he misses those two threes then it's a different game and he rarely has more than two good games in a row.

Radmanovic is awful.

Walton played so far over his normal playing ability that it's not funny.

Ray and Pierce had bad days passing and handling the ball.

And yet with two minutes left in the game, the score was tied.

The C's didn't play that great and the Lakers did, hence, Celtics lose. These teams aren't any different now than they were 24, 28 and 72 hours ago. The Celtics were on the west coast when their bodies were on east coast time, on the biggest holiday of the season, away from their families, and played mediocre ball and lost.

It really is that simple. I still think Bynum is severely over-rated. That Gasol and Odom and  Vujacic and Radmanovic are soft and that the Celtics are a much better team. They just lost a game.

Did we all think Denver and Indiana were better teams than we were simply because we lost a regular season game to them?

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 01:04:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

What is the relevance of the games we pulled out? What is the relevance of how many games were against inferior and how many games were against solid teams? We won't pull them all out! We will lose more close games, guaranteed. So what!

These aren't excuses. This is reality. Teams lose games. You are going way overboard. Why is this loss any worse than the loss against the Pacers? Is this loss any more significant than any of our losses last year? Not at all. It is just one loss among 82 games.

If you though the Celts could win at will, this game is an eye opener, but NO team can win at will. Every team in the history of the NBA has had double digit losses.

Yesterday's game does not prove your point any more than the first game against the Pacers or Denver proved that they are superior. Enough with the opportunists who act as if each loss is proof of their preconceptions.

Even worse are the posters who claim Doc is mismanaging the team because the bench doesn't dominate. It is delusion to insist that times when our bench is ineffective can be blamed on not giving minutes to Pruitt. Time to face reality - we don't have the best bench in basketball. Playing a mediocre talent like Pruitt before he is ready is not going to be a game changer.

We didn't even have the best bench in basketball last year, but we had an effective system.

i have rather lost to the pacers again then to lose the lakers. You know why?? Lakers and celtics would destroy the pacers in a 7 game series.

This is not only one loss as simple as that and that we needed to lose one of these days anyways.

Lakers are good enough to compete for the best record in the league plus if we face them they have the advantage right now.

For nickagneta

I don't think you saw ariza diving for balls etc. He was a non stats factor no doubt. Also Bynum was blocking almost anything that came into the paint and seriously hampered our pentration game. He was alot more of a factor than perk.

What ainge needs to do imo is buyout patrick obryant or send him to dleague, bring up bill walker and entice joe smith, mutombo, pj brown to join us.  If he can't get one of those two vets to come, i hope he is working on trading big baby, pruitt and/or 2nd round pick for a decent vet like jeff foster