Author Topic: Four years later, Tony Allen still hasn't developed  (Read 57138 times)

Re: Four years later, Tony Allen still hasn't developed
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2008, 10:35:20 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Tony is way too inconsistent to be a main rotation guy off the bench. He's even inconsistent from quarter to quarter most games. His defense is no where near where it was before the knee injury. He isn't as quick laterally, and isn't that hard to shake if your a shooting guard with pretty good handle. He has some stretches where he's on a guy like a glove, but that lasts for about one possession before he just loses focus. The only player on our bench that I feel we couldn't upgrade on is Leon. The bench is really the Achilles heel of this team. We don't have enough size, length, or playmaking on the bench.

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 11:00:44 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Before this season because of injuries TA had NO trade value and was able to be resigned affordbly (is there such a thing).  I don't see him & Davis being around next year.
Tony listen to cooz, 2 dribble drives only.  He also has to start shooting the 15 footers, if you drive every time the other teams will figure it out soon enough.  I'd love to see Pruitt getting some sg time.

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2008, 11:13:27 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think everyone on this site knows my opinion on this as I have been saying this exact same thing for almost two years. I think Tony fills a role on this team but on a good bench he would be the third offensive option off the bench not the first. The Celtics have four really good to decent role players that if played with 3 starters would be very productive. But those role players put into a 4 man plus one starter unit or a five man unit with another bench player is a bad team. A bad unit without height, good play making and ball handling abilities, length, chemistry and great overall basketball smarts.

Either changes to the bench are needed before the playoffs or changes in the way Doc utilizes his bench. Since in 5 years here it's pretty obvious that Doc's rotations and bench combos aren't going to change, then I think Danny needs to address this shortly.

I so wanted Roger Mason on this team this off season and what does he do on national television yesterday, oh, just hits the winning three with time expiring to beat the Suns in their building. Please someone try to convince me that Mason on this team rather than Tony wouldn't be the perfect missing piece that this second unit is missing.

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2008, 12:34:39 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
I have been a supporter of Tony Allen over the years - now I wouldn't mind seeing him traded. I would like to see what Pruitt, Walker, and JR Giddens can do. But Doc has other ideas about their NBA readiness.

Tony made some bad plays in the 1st half that the Lakers took advantage of. Plus he could not stay with Kobe one on one unlike Ray Allen.

He has a minumal contract for one year so I think he, Glen Davis, and Brian Scalabrine should be packaged for some kind of deal. I'm just not sure what we could get for those three players. We need a big and small forward, I think.

Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2008, 01:07:16 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
this is all a moot point...

...danny loves his bench, so much so that he let posey walk.

...danny loves tony allen, so much so that he also believes tony can be a backup point guard.

i think tony allen is a dufus with limited basketball skills, albeit a decent athlete.  but my opinion doesn't matter in the big picture of things...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2008, 01:11:25 PM »

Offline Binky-King

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Tony made some bad plays in the 1st half that the Lakers took advantage of. Plus he could not stay with Kobe one on one unlike Ray Allen.

Neither Tony or Ray have the Length to bother Kobe's shot, no matter how tight they play him he's going to get a good look.

Pierce should probably guard Kobe down the stretch because other than Giddens who's in Utah, we have no other wing with the length to guard the other premier G/SFs.

Ray Allen is a defensive liability and every team with an elite SG knows it. Instead of shading help like we normally do the Celtics had to double Kobe leaving open shots & driving lanes to Pau which with poor offensive execution cost the Celtics the game.    

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2008, 01:15:54 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
We need another big (Deke, Zo, Joe Smith, Rasho, Jeff Foster, pick one) and another swingman (ie one who's bigger).

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2008, 01:19:08 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Well, this is probably as good as TA is ever going to get. Yes, I cringe when he has the ball too, but he's OK for a bench player. It would be nice if he didn't have to play such a large role. And I guess I never paid enough attention before, but has his outside shot always been this bad?

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2008, 01:20:33 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
it widely known i am not a fan of tony allen.  i wont ramble off why i dislike his game, bc i have done it numerous times on the boards.  i will make it simple.......do u trust tony allen during the playoffs?  i sure as hell dont, which is why we need someone to fill his role consistently, when it matters most.

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2008, 01:26:13 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Typical tony, good one play, disastrous the next...is there something actually mentally wrong with this guy? i dont trust him at all and dont even want him on this team, sorry
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2008, 01:32:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I need to give out two TP's here. One to Andy Jick for getting the words dufus and Tony Allen into the same sentence. Second to dark lord who recognizes that Tony's use will come down to a matter of trust and I don't think Doc trusts Tony's game enough to use him in the playoffs because he didn't last year. I don't think he will this year either but is using him so much now because there just isn't anyone else here to use.

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2008, 01:35:59 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
I need to give out two TP's here. One to Andy Jick for getting the words dufus and Tony Allen into the same sentence. Second to dark lord who recognizes that Tony's use will come down to a matter of trust and I don't think Doc trusts Tony's game enough to use him in the playoffs because he didn't last year. I don't think he will this year either but is using him so much now because there just isn't anyone else here to use.

thanks nick, i appreciate it

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2008, 02:00:31 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.

appreciate it - back at ya!  there are just some words i never want to see disappear.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2008, 10:32:18 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Tony must have bad pictures of someone in the stat department, because he had 3 turnovers that first stretch he was in the game alone and was only credited for 2. I think the stat line isn't really showing it, but another very awful night for TA. He played as bad a defensive game as I can remember. He turned the ball over more than what was shown (had to be at least 4-5). He has now started playing his usual up and down stretches within the same game. He will have a couple baskets in a row and then stink the rest of the game. I think it is time to send TA a message. Bring Walker up from the D league. Play Gabe at the 2 in his minutes. Bring Walker in as the third if needed. Let TA know that if he doesn't play smarter he will stay there. I know he was one of many problems last night, but this has been building for 15-20 games now.

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2008, 11:17:18 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
this is all a moot point...

...danny loves his bench, so much so that he let posey walk.

...danny loves tony allen, so much so that he also believes tony can be a backup point guard.

i think tony allen is a dufus with limited basketball skills, albeit a decent athlete.  but my opinion doesn't matter in the big picture of things...
tp for your post...i have listen to Danny time after time defend TA in interviews to the point its sickening.I accepted the fact as long as Danny can't see straight with TA he will be here for awhile.Its makes me mad when people of power dont want to admit they have possibly made a mistake in judging talent.Danny hangs on the idea that Tony will someday reach star status.Another thing i can't understand is,why is Pruitt sitting on the bench because in the few games i have seen him play he has shown me that he is ready to take the next step of some decent minutes.Someone need to tell Doc to play him in this next game.Sacramento would be a good game to see if he and POB can contribute some quality play in more than garbage time.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 11:26:20 AM by housecall »