Author Topic: Mark Teixeira Signs With Yankees for $170 Million  (Read 34163 times)

Re: Mark Teixeira Signs With Yankees for $170 Million
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2008, 10:04:09 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Maybe the Pirates, Royals and some of the other small market teams should spend some of the luxury tax money they get from the Yankees (over 27 million last year) on better players instead of lining the pockets of the their owners.

Luxury tax money is not redistributed.

Revenue sharing is and some teams do use the money on raising their payroll. The system is set up so owners only have to spend that money on baseball operations (scouting, ballpark improvements, etc...) and not necessarily on player salaries.

The system is flawed and needs to be adjusted, but it's a step in the right direction. Large market teams will always generate overwhelming amounts of revenue, allowing them to spend at will. A team located in Kansas City or Pittsburgh is not in a situation to accrue resources anywhere close to that of New York, Boston, LA, etc.

Mean, can you give a reference for luxury tax dollars not being spread around....

if that is the case, then that right there would be one more step in the right direction...

i'm not in favor of a hard cap. i like the Yankees being able to make big splashes...it makes the rivalry more fun to me.

but with higher penalties the more you go over the soft cap, spreading that money to the smaller market teams and making sure they invest the money into the club...i think you can have a nice circular effect...

then it really is up to those smaller market teams to run their franchise well. if they run it well, then not only will they be getting the shared revenue, but they will also see a big uptick at the  gate....especially with teams like KC and Pittsburgh. those are great sports cities, but their teams have just been so bad for so long that people just don't turn out.

I don't have a referance (though im sure one can be found) but he's right, luxary tax is just money that you pay to the MLB, its not redisturbted to the other clubs.

Revenue sharing is, but not luxary tax.

if that's the case, then that is very clear step that could be taken to get more money into the hands of the smaller market teams...

i mean, what is MLB doing with all that money? that's ridiculous if it's true...

« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2008, 10:07:02 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

I don't have a referance (though im sure one can be found) but he's right, luxary tax is just money that you pay to the MLB, its not redisturbted to the other clubs.

Revenue sharing is, but not luxary tax.

i'm not so sure crown....

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/story/2008/12/22/yankees-tax.html?ref=rss

The New York Yankees, who failed to make the post-season in 2008, have been hit with their highest luxury tax bill in three years.

New York was assessed a $26.9-million US tax by the baseball commissioner's office on Monday, up from $23.9 million last year and their biggest bill since paying nearly $34 million for 2005.

The luxury tax threshold for 2008 was $155 million. Clubs whose payrolls exceeded that amount were required to pay a tax on the overage, with the money to be redistributed among Major League Baseball's 30 teams.

maybe we need to keep digging on this...but if MLB is actually pocketing that money that would p--- me off...but it seems the logical thing would be to redistribute it...or at least give it to charity.

« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2008, 10:14:52 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
mabey your right, but i could have swron the tax money just goes to the MLB, with revenue sharing going to the teams. Mabey its a mix of the two.

anyone got a referance to the convoluted details?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2008, 10:24:20 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
If Pittsburgh can't support a competitive team, then either move the team or shut it down.  Why should franchises in NY, LA and the other big markets be forced to reduce their quality to the lowest common denominator?

Even with a salary cap, parity is a sometime thing, and teams with more resources will always have the advantage in any system that allows free agency. 

Im not sure overpaying = quality.

The yankees certainly have the highest payroll because they can, but i don't think it has anything to do with quality.
Sure it does.  That's why the Yankees have won so may more pennants and world series than any other team, and why teams from big markets (e.g the Dodgers) tend to win more than other teams.  Yes, yes, there are exceptions.

If Teixeira isn't a quality player, why were the Red Sox willing to give him 168 million?

Sure, the Yankees haven't won a championship since 1999, but they have been in it every year, even last year when they were decimated by injuries to their pitching staff and were forced to use guys like Sidney Ponson.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 04:17:25 PM by Brickowski »

« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2008, 07:46:19 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
If Pittsburgh can't support a competitive team, then either move the team or shut it down.  Why should franchises in NY, LA and the other big markets be forced to reduce their quality to the lowest common denominator?

Even with a salary cap, parity is a sometime thing, and teams with more resources will always have the advantage in any system that allows free agency. 

Why should they have to move or shut down their team because they can't keep up with the unchecked spending of large market teams? How does that make any sense? Wouldn't it be easier to just regulate the spending of these teams?

Also, the luxury tax money, as I understand it, goes into MLB promotions and what not.

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2008, 08:06:22 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

The yankees certainly have the highest payroll because they can, but i don't think it has anything to do with quality.
Sure it does.  That's why the Yankees have won so may more pennants and world series than any other team, and why teams from big markets (e.g the Dodgers) tend to win more than other teams.  Yes, yes, there are exceptions.

If Teixeira isn't a quality player, why were the Red Sox willing to give him 168 million?

Sure, the Yankees haven't won a championship since 1999, but they have been in it every year, even last year when they were decimated by injuries to their pitching staff and were forced to use guys like Sidney Ponson.

except that in the FA era, after the initial push, where only they got FA's for the first 3-4 years all of their championships have only come when they are comprised of mostly home grown players as a core.

Thats why cashman was (until this year) trying to build from within. their last dynasty was based on guys who came up yankees. Bernie, jeter, mo, paul oniel, posada, all those guys, thier core, were (well payed certainly) internal prospects they could control.

How have their mercenary teams since 2000 worked out?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2008, 08:31:40 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423

except that in the FA era, after the initial push, where only they got FA's for the first 3-4 years all of their championships have only come when they are comprised of mostly home grown players as a core.

Thats why cashman was (until this year) trying to build from within. their last dynasty was based on guys who came up yankees. Bernie, jeter, mo, paul oniel, posada, all those guys, thier core, were (well payed certainly) internal prospects they could control.

How have their mercenary teams since 2000 worked out?

Well the Red Sox have done just fine.