Author Topic: Mark Teixeira Signs With Yankees for $170 Million  (Read 34142 times)

Re: Mark Teixeira Signs With Yankees for $170 Million
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 04:18:04 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Final score:

Scott Boras 1, John Henry 0.

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 04:24:38 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Final score:

Scott Boras 1, John Henry 0.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. Henry saved a major amount of cash. I guess he'll have to make due with Youkilis(3rd in the AL MVP voting) and Lowell ('07 WS MVP).

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 04:30:19 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The Yankees are going with the Nigel Tufnel theory of "This one goes to eleven"
Yup

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 04:31:17 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
the thing that really hammers this home is the sound bite from Theo that we are certain to get in short order saying they were comfortable going in to the season with the team we have...

honestly, i'm not the hugest Tex guy, but i think we absolutely need more pop in the middle of our lineup....we have a deep lineup, but Drew, Bay, Lowell, Yuke are all basically 5's.

you need someone in the 4 hole that teams are constantly thinking about pitching around.

i wish there was a big hitting SS out there. that's the position we really need to fill anyway...

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 04:31:49 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Always thought he was overrated myself, and just came off looking no different than manny this offseason, dont want him.
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 04:34:47 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
It'll be so sweet if they sign all these big name stars with this much money, and miss the postseason. Or they get beat in the postseason. I hate the Yankess.  >:(

I don't really care that we didn't get Teixeira. I'm happy with our team. It could be better, but we're still serious contenders in the AL. I rather have Youkilis than Tex, anyways.  ;)
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
The Red Sox can rationalize this any way they want, but the fact is that it was a huge win for the Yankees and a huge loss for Boston.

The needed protection for Ortiz in the middle of the lineup, and didn't get it.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them hold their noses and go after Manny.

And when Joe Maurer comes up in a couple of years, the Yankees will get him too.

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 04:38:10 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
It'll be so sweet if they sign all these big name stars with this much money, and miss the postseason. Or they get beat in the postseason. I hate the Yankess.  >:(

I don't really care that we didn't get Teixeira. I'm happy with our team. It could be better, but we're still serious contenders in the AL. I rather have Youkilis than Tex, anyways.  ;)

we may be serious contenders, but we need more power....our lineup just feels de-fanged without Manny.

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2008, 04:43:16 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

we may be serious contenders, but we need more power....our lineup just feels de-fanged without Manny.

Texas and Boston were 1 and 2 in the AL in runs scored in '08. Now consider Ortiz, Lowell, and Drew spent significant time on the DL, and that Texas came no where near the playoffs.

The Rays and Angels were 9th and 10th respectively.

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2008, 04:44:56 PM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
On paper, this makes the Yankees the #1 contender in the major leagues. But I'm not intimidated. The Red Sox have shown in prior years that no matter how deep a team is (2004 Yankees comes to mind), they can beat them. And since when was CC Sabathia a clutch pitcher? I know these guys can easily re-write their individual histories, but let's not get ahead of ourselves and crown them champions just yet. We'll rest assured that this will be a great rivalry for the next 8 years (at least).

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2008, 04:47:28 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
The Red Sox can rationalize this any way they want, but the fact is that it was a huge win for the Yankees and a huge loss for Boston.

The needed protection for Ortiz in the middle of the lineup, and didn't get it.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them hold their noses and go after Manny.

And when Joe Maurer comes up in a couple of years, the Yankees will get him too.

not that i think there is any way that Manny comes back to Boston  (although personally i wouldn't have a problem with it...the only thing that he did that bothered me was the altercation with the Travel guy), but the outfield is actually too full right now.

the reason that they were okay with Tex is that Lowell coming off surgery actually is a pretty big question mark for next season.

the love Bay, Drew and Ellsbury...

wonder if we start hearing more about a deal for Martin from the Dodgers...that would bum me out on two fronts. A) i'm a big Tek fan and B) we would have to give up some primo prospects to get him...

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2008, 04:52:07 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

Texas and Boston were 1 and 2 in the AL in runs scored in '08. Now consider Ortiz, Lowell, and Drew spent significant time on the DL, and that Texas came no where near the playoffs.

The Rays and Angels were 9th and 10th respectively.

that's not really the point IMO. think about every time the middle of that Rays order came up. every time you knew something was going to happen for them...we simply don't have that and it hurt us.

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2008, 05:00:32 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
The Red Sox haave been saying for months that Teixeira was their #1 target.  They struck out.

It doesn't do at this point to say "We really didn't want him anyway," or "We'll be fine with Youkilis."

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2008, 05:07:18 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
The Red Sox haave been saying for months that Teixeira was their #1 target.  They struck out.

It doesn't do at this point to say "We really didn't want him anyway," or "We'll be fine with Youkilis."

that's what they have to say because there are no other big bats out there that i know of that really fit us...

i tend to think that catcher is going to be a place that they look at now and like i said, that is a bummer because i am a big Tek fan...

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2008, 05:12:46 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Anyone else annoyed that they just committed over 400 million to 3 players, but they are still asking the taxpayers for additional money for their stadium

I know most of you are red sox fans, so excuse me if I sound over dramatic here, but this offseason has pushed me over the edge in regards to baseball.  I'm a Baltimore Orioles fan, and trust I'm very aware that we have bigger problems to solve before thinking about being competative with the Sox and Yankees again, but seriously the spending of the higher market teams has gotten out of hand IMO.  Baseball needs to do something to be able limit teams, namely the Yankees, from stealing every free agent on the market that they decide theyre interested in.  Every sport does something to at least make it difficult for teams who obviously think money is no object, except for baseball.

It's completely ruined the sport for me.  At least with the Red Sox they have a foundation of players they build around, the Yankees are just disgusting with me, and I guess the one only saving grace is it always backfires on them, but I still think it ruins the sport for the other 30 or so teams who actually could have benefited from these free agents had they had any kind of remote chance of signing them.  I just cant get into the sport anymore and I think Im done with it until things change (or if Angelos sold the team to Cal Ripken), and Im sure all of you are saying, thats easy for you to say, youre an O's fan, but either way....

Just my 2 cents.
Greg