Author Topic: Lakers Board: "Old" Starters playing more minutes  (Read 5879 times)

Lakers Board: "Old" Starters playing more minutes
« on: December 22, 2008, 09:10:34 PM »

Offline newyorkceltics

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8

Checking out the (so-called) enemy lines this morning, I picked up this gem from over at Forum Blue and Gold:

Two losses in a row and a stretch of mediocre play mean jack come May and June. People see the Celtics now and are amazed, and we should be because they are focused and playing great ball. They are also playing their old starters more minutes per game than they did last year. Will that come back to haunt them (remember those two impressive first rounds of the playoffs last year)? Who knows, But I don’t care how the Lakers match up with the Celtics in December, I care about June.

http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2008/12/22/my-message-to-lakers-fans/

Really? I have no idea about the numbers, but I'm pretty sure we really played the Big 3 a lot of minutes last year just to get the chemistry going.
Somehow I really feel like that above piece of motivational fodder for Faker fans is complete fiction from Kurt. Anyone have any numbers so we can call him out on it?

Let's not give them any false hope and all...that's just cruel, no?
"No, man, this is better than the ambulance. It's Scal."

Re: Lakers Board: "Old" Starters playing more minutes
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 10:05:56 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Allen last year played 35.9 mins per game; So far this year, 35.8

Pierce last year played 35.9; This season 36.7

KG last year 32.8, This year; 33.0

Pierce has the biggest spike in minutes; Well, less than a minute on average really. 0.8 minutes is equivalent to 48 seconds more per game. KG is averaging 12 seconds more per game. Allen, six seconds less( and it shows too. Doesn't he seem to have more spring in his step this season?).

The old starters playing more minutes this year attack is what I would classify as "grasping at straws:, or more accurately "untrue".

Maybe this Kurt has a point. The C's were so wiped out from the Hawks and Cavs series last year that they were barely able to mop the floor with the Pistons and LA.

I will concede though that the 26-2 start isn't any kind of championship guarantee, as I recall the Pistons and Mavs getting off to blazing starts ( maybe not this hot ) and burning out in the playoffs. I attribute both of those flameouts more to matchup problems with the Heat and Warriors respectively rather than fatigue.

I can see Lebron being a matchup problem come May. The Lakers team? Eh.

Plus Kobe's like, 40 isn't he? I'm pretty sure that's true if you look it up.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 10:16:59 PM by Nerf DPOY »

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 10:08:03 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
The Lakers should be concerned with the Grizzlies right now, since they are down in the 4th quarter.

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 10:22:50 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

I don't know what the splits were, but I'd be willing to bet the year end MPG for the Big 3 were much lower than the YTD #'s were for the same period this year.  The Celts had big time rest down the stretch. 

Laker fans biggest concern should be the fact that the Celts are, simply put, a  better team than the one they root for - be it now, February, June or whenever.

Celts can handle the minutes and they'll rest up down the stretch as they coast in to the best record in the league again.
Yup

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 10:42:46 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

I don't know what the splits were, but I'd be willing to bet the year end MPG for the Big 3 were much lower than the YTD #'s were for the same period this year.  The Celts had big time rest down the stretch. 

Laker fans biggest concern should be the fact that the Celts are, simply put, a  better team than the one they root for - be it now, February, June or whenever.

Celts can handle the minutes and they'll rest up down the stretch as they coast in to the best record in the league again.

Curiosity got the best of me:

Ray's minutes per game splits last season
November     39.8   
December     36.1 
January      39.0   
February     36.8   
March        31.2   
April        29.0

KG
November     37.1   
December     33.0 
January      34.8 
February     29.0   
March        31.8   
April        25.7

Pierce
November     38.2
December     38.4 
January      38.1 
February     36.8   
March        32.6   
April        27.4
Yup

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 10:53:51 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
One more tidbit found while looking up last seasons splits:

Pierce's high PPG vs. Opponent averages for last season:

Spurs   28.5
Hornets 27.5
Lakers  26.5

Top 3 teams in the West record wise last season.  Not really on topic for the thread, but I found it very telling of what we all know.  The Truth steps it up against the best.
Yup

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 11:01:12 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Ha, the Big 3 were all under thirty mins per game in April, and the team still went 8-1. Although, the only playoff team they played in April was Washington, and they lost.

This season's April looks to be a little tougher. We play Atlanta, Cleveland, and Miami. We'll see how it plays out, as I can't imagine Doc endangering our chances at another ring for the sake of any regular season records.

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 12:56:24 AM »

Offline gustusias

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 41
They are playing more minutes than Doc would like to play. The second unit is problematical. It all hinges on Rondo. When he leaves the game everything changes.So I am not sure if problems arise because the big 3 are not playing ( actually Pierce or Ray usually are) or Ronso is not playing. Garnett gets more minutes probably because we don't have an adequate replacement at center. We are looking for another big so hopefully thimngs will change.

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 03:47:27 AM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
They are playing more minutes than Doc would like to play. The second unit is problematical. It all hinges on Rondo. When he leaves the game everything changes.So I am not sure if problems arise because the big 3 are not playing ( actually Pierce or Ray usually are) or Ronso is not playing. Garnett gets more minutes probably because we don't have an adequate replacement at center. We are looking for another big so hopefully thimngs will change.

They are not really playing any more min. then they were last year.

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 08:01:09 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

you did look at redz splits right?

You think that extra 12 seconds a game is going to be a factor?

Thats a stunning 2 minutes and 40 seconds a month, assuming 3 games a week.

also, Doc had said he wanted to play them alot more for the first 15 games, which is skewing thier minutes upwards (they played 38-40 alot in the first 10-15 games)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 10:16:03 AM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 09:21:08 AM »

Offline silvershamrocker

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Believe In The Sleeve

Maybe this Kurt has a point. The C's were so wiped out from the Hawks and Cavs series last year that they were barely able to mop the floor with the Pistons and LA.

;D TP.

"It will be fun watching the Lakers get those balloons down one at a time." - Bill Russell

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 10:11:53 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71

;D TP.

agreed. double tommy points.  that was hilarious and a good post :)
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 10:43:46 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Crownsy, come on admit it. You're like me and are totally worried about those extra 6 to 12 seconds a game. ;D

Hopefully we blow out the Lakers so our "old" starters can get some rest. ;)

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 11:00:46 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Crownsy, come on admit it. You're like me and are totally worried about those extra 6 to 12 seconds a game. ;D

Hopefully we blow out the Lakers so our "old" starters can get some rest. ;)

What about all that energy KG wastes running around, hyping up the crowd before tipoff or blocking shots after the whistle?  He could easily compensate for those extra 12 seconds if he cut back on the extraneous stuff  ::)  ;)  Maybe he'd be sluggish from all the rest then.
Yup

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 11:10:34 PM »

Offline sky101

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
About 5 days ago, I was watching a sports channel, and this guy was capping the nba scores for the night, and this one stat made me go...nice!

KG...you guys know him right? Well Kevin has sat out 7 fourth quarters already this season after that game recap. that was a few games ago, after yet another blowout win.

he must be dead tired. 

whatever shall he do? more time in the sauna?  :'(