Author Topic: Can the Celtics keep using their bench this way?  (Read 3362 times)

Can the Celtics keep using their bench this way?
« on: December 22, 2008, 12:33:57 PM »

Offline yupitsme

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • "My team about green RONDO roger that" - Fabolous
You might think the only dilemma the coach of a 26-2 team might be whether to have waffles or pancakes for breakfast. But Doc Rivers is about to have a decision on his hands.

Can the Celtics keep using their bench this way?

A pattern is emerging during Celtics games. Last night, the Celtics stormed out to a ridiculous 40-21 lead in the first quarter. But once the second unit came in, they gave up 37 second quarter points, and the Celtics went into halftime up 66-58. And while things ended with a lopsided win, some guys had to play much more than they should have.

Doc is using his bench a little bit differently this year. We're seeing 5 guys off the bench for much longer stretches in the second quarter. The trickle off the bench starts at the end of the first quarter. By the early second quarter, all of the starters are sitting. Doc's trying to get his starters some rest early in the season, but it's starting to backfire. Rather than extending or even holding leads, the second unit is giving back points, forcing Doc to get the big guns back earlier, and for more minutes. So what can he do?

Option 1: Keep on keepin' on.

Doc could just keep doing what he's doing, and hope that cohesiveness develops. Gabe Pruitt is starting to get more time, which is a new wrinkle to this second unit. He's a really good shooter, and he's progressing, but he spent a bulk of last year in theNBDL. At one point last night, the Celtics had Pruitt, Eddie House, Tony Allen, Leon Powe and Brian Scalabrine on the floor (Glen Davis didn't play because of a car accident). I'm betting these guys don't get a ton of reps together, so getting double-digit minutes in a December game should help them.

If Doc keeps on doing what he's doing, maybe these guys can grow into a good enough unit to handle the "hold the lead" duties in the second quarter.

Option 2: Change the rotations

Let's be honest. How often will that full second unit see the floor in the playoffs? As the Celtics move closer to the playoffs, the rotations will start to change. Instead of letting the starters play most of the first quarter, maybe a couple of them come out at the 6 or 7 minute mark, then come back to start the second quarter with a few bench guys around with them. However it happens, we'll generally see at least one or two starters on the floor at all times. This way, when things start to fall apart, they can look to maybe Paul Pierce or Ray Allen for a little leadership out there.

So if that's going to be the case later, some might say you should start it now. Get these guys used to their roles so they're humming at maximum potential by playoff time.

Personally, I'm all for keeping things as they are for now. There's a lot of talk about comparing this Celtics team to the 72-win Bulls team from 1995-96. But I couldn't care less about 72 wins. The only number of wins I, or any of the Celtics care about, is 16 wins it takes in the playoffs to win the title. So if some tinkering with the bench in December and even January can weed out the contributors from the water-boys, then I say go for it.

It's funny to think a team on this kind of roll would have issues. But no team is immune. Not only will the Celtics 18 straight wins mean nothing if they fail in the playoffs, the pressure to win a title grows with each passing win. The more historic the season, the more historic the collapse would be. The Celtics bench was a strength last year, and if they want to cap off this season the right way, they have to figure out how to make it a strength again.

sorry if already posted.

http://www.examiner.com/x-1468-Boston-Celtics-Examiner~y2008m12d22-Can-the-Celtics-keep-using-their-bench-this-way

Re: Can the Celtics keep using their bench this way?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 06:42:29 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Doc Rivers will have to adjust his rotations at some point. Like trim it down to 8 or 9 players once you hit the stretch run to lock down the #1 seed in the Eastern Conference. Right now, the issues are that the scoring tends to drop off in the 2nd qtr with the 2nd unit out there. What is worse is that the other team throws its starters back in before Doc does and we have been losing momentum in the 2nd qtr and the opponents get back in the game by halftime.

So it is like the game has to be won twice.

The good news is that the bench seems to be successful at halftime adjustments and have been able to at least keep the 2nd half leads (perhaps they are beating up the tired starters of the opponents).
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 06:59:36 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Danny's going to have to do something about this bench.

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 07:56:59 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
This group isn't going to be the playoff bench, anyway. Not enough length, not enough outside shooting to help in the playoffs.

There's no doubt it's going to have to be adjusted.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 09:50:57 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Shortening the rotation, mixing in starters more, getting better matchups, and adding a playoff tested veteran with either length and/or scoring ability down the stretch will all be addressed. (Joe Smith is my top choice at this point) At this stage in the season, Doc is keeping the starters minutes down and maximizing the bench minutes while still winning games. I dont care if we have to come from behind or rebuild a lead or two along the way, we dont seem to have that big of a struggle doing it and our confidence level has got to be huge.

I dont know about the rest of you, but I am really seeing more and more confidence on that second unit especially from Leon Powe and Tony Allen. They both still have a ways to go with regard to consistency, but the improvement is there IMO.

If Doc keeps using Gabe Pruitt a little here and there, we will be glad during the stretch run. We will very likely need his shooting, ball handling and defense on a few nights when some one is in foul trouble. 5-10 minutes of competency in a single game could be a difference maker in a big game. His confidence level and development is also important for that reason just like Big Baby's was last year. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 11:53:15 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Mix  the starters and bench players more.  Get the bench players ready to play those supporting roles to the starters now. 

Allow the players to play the same amount of minutes, just adjust the rotation.

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 01:10:48 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
My observation is that Doc is more adventurous in his use of the bench in the first half than the second. I remember Scal getting first half minutes in many games last year but not seeing the floor in the second. I expect the same for Pruitt for a while longer.

Getting Pruitt some floor time is worth giving up some of out lead. Keep in mind that when Pruitt gets minutes, he is usually replacing Ray Allen or Pierce, who they would otherwise play with the bench guys. That is a big drop off.

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 01:53:13 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
What happened to keeping a starter on the floor at all times?  I hate the all bench player unit.  It stinks!  I don't really care for Ray with the bench that much either because if his shot isn't falling, the bench will struggle as if there is no starter on the floor.  At least PP does a good job of making sure Eddie gets his open shots and sets up Leon down low, not to mention being able to create his own offense as well.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 01:55:21 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Mix  the starters and bench players more.  Get the bench players ready to play those supporting roles to the starters now. 

Allow the players to play the same amount of minutes, just adjust the rotation.
tp for your post...was thinking alone the same lines.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 02:06:07 PM by housecall »

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 12:52:20 AM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Anybody see Pruitt tonight? I thought he was outstanding in his 2nd half stint tonight with his ball handling, defense, and shooting. He should be the backup PG to Rondo.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 01:06:43 AM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Anybody see Pruitt tonight? I thought he was outstanding in his 2nd half stint tonight with his ball handling, defense, and shooting. He should be the backup PG to Rondo.
Pruitt was impressive. His "tanibles" are all far superior to Eddie's. But Eddie is still who you want as the backup pg in the playoffs. Keep in mind that Eddie will have a much easier time getting into a rhythm once Doc tinkers the rotation for the stretch run, because Eddie needs members of the big three on the floor with him to be playmakers. I know it seems unfair to defend Eddie using that logic and not Pruitt, but because of the type of player Eddie is, he is suffering right now from the 5 bench player unit more than a guy like Pruitt. I'd rather see Pruitt take some of TA's sg minutes. Maybe his ability to spread the floor on offense with be more valuable in the playoffs than Tony's penetration. Pruitt can hang in there on defense at both guard positions, and he is much more stable out there than TA.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!