Author Topic: Anthony Randolph  (Read 7561 times)

Re: Anthony Randolph
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 11:49:53 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Actually lots of buzz about Warriors, Nelson, Randolph, Wright, et al.

Quote from: San Francisco Chronicle
Randolph, the 13th pick in last year's draft, also missed Friday's game, and he didn't deny the ESPN report, saying, "I'm not going to say there was ... or there wasn't" a discussion with Nelson about moving elsewhere.

Randolph's agent, former NBA player B.J. Armstrong, declined to directly address the ESPN report and tried to downplay any thought of tension between Nelson and Randolph. "Let's keep everything in perspective," Armstrong said. "For him, it's very simple. He loves his team, loves his teammates." Loves his coach? "Loves his coach," Armstrong said. "Professionally, on and off the floor, what is he? Twenty games into the season? He's a young man that is concerned about making an adjustment on and off the floor right now."
Those non-responses sound like confirmation to me. But wait, Nelson denies Broussard's claim.

After the game, Nelson admitted to speaking with Randolph about his agent, but not to suggest Randolph ought to relocate. Rather, to work on things to improve his game. "I do want to talk to his agent. I did say his agent, and I need to sit down and talk. (Randolph's) got to make adjustments," said Nelson, calling the report untrue. "I talked to (Randolph) about sitting down with his agent because he's got to work at practice, do some things to get better."
While the San Jose Mecury News suggests that it isn't Randolph specifically that the Warriors are looking to move...

Quote from: San Jose Mecury News
Multiple league sources indicate that the Warriors’ front office has been involved recently in casual or not-so-casual trade discussions with “everybody about everybody” – meaning every player on the Warriors roster and every team in the league.

Interestingly, of course, the players most people would consider untouchable are Anthony Randolph and Brandan Wright, and those are the players, I believe, who are most likely to be traded during the madness...

...I’d have to guess that Randolph and Wright are being tossed into the discussions mostly as enticement, as Nelson and Riley (and Rowell) work desperately to get rid of Corey Maggette’s contract, which, as we know, is almost impossible to move...

...I think the Warriors are almost guaranteed to trade Wright at some point before the late-February trade deadline.
Tough time for Warriors fans.

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 12:05:56 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
After the game, Nelson admitted to speaking with Randolph about his agent, but not to suggest Randolph ought to relocate. Rather, to work on things to improve his game. "I do want to talk to his agent. I did say his agent, and I need to sit down and talk. (Randolph's) got to make adjustments," said Nelson, calling the report untrue. "I talked to (Randolph) about sitting down with his agent because he's got to work at practice, do some things to get better."

Wait, (Triple Post!), someone tell me if it's common for a coach to speak to a young player's agent about the kid's execution and play in practice? On review, I believe Nelson is also confirming this rumor, if only with the caveat that he was using the trade threat as motivational tool tactic.

(I read this type of stuff and I'm that much happier with Rivers.)

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 12:52:43 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
The warriors essentially selected two Gerald Greens in the draft, Brandon Wright and later Anthony Randolph. Terrible utilization of the NBA draft.

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 10:39:01 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I don't want another of Nelson's castoffs.

While I think Nelson is overrated as a coach, I think he is a very good GM with a good eye for talent. 

laughing at nellie
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 11:10:50 AM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
 here he goes again. he tells randolph to seek a trade. this dude will be great somewhere else. i put nellie in the same category as jimmy o'brien. they both seem to care more about running a style of hoops they prefer over what wins championships. although i'm sure o'brien is'nt a big a jerk as nellie is.

Re: laughing at nellie
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 11:44:18 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I agree about Nellie, who seems to have gone off the deep end the last couple of years, but I don't see the comparison with Jim O'Brien at all.  Everyplace Obie has gone, his teams have overachieved.  If he ever had any real talent to work with, he likely would have won a championship.

Oh yeah, and his system is incredibly similar to the system the C's run. 

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008, 11:57:05 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
this team is put together like the knicks a couple years ago(but with speed and without the general team weight problem).  Too many gunners and not enough defense/other skills teams win with.  I'm so glad we didn't end up with Maggette.

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2008, 12:15:41 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I'm so glad we didn't end up with Maggette.

I wouldn't go that far.  Maggette, on a 1 year deal, would have been great on this team.  As we all have seen over the last 4-5 years, the vast majority of players either play down to the system, or play up to it.  If you surround a guy like Maggette with gunners who don't care about anything except "getting mine", then he will do the same thing.  If he were on the Celtics, I feel confident he would be a team player.

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2008, 12:35:55 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I wouldn't go that far.  Maggette, on a 1 year deal, would have been great on this team.  As we all have seen over the last 4-5 years, the vast majority of players either play down to the system, or play up to it.  If you surround a guy like Maggette with gunners who don't care about anything except "getting mine", then he will do the same thing.  If he were on the Celtics, I feel confident he would be a team player.
But aren't you surprised that he hasn't bought into reformed role model Stephen(disgruntled) Jackson's version of ubuntu?  ha!

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2008, 12:40:30 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Why? Maggette played his entire career surrounded by bad guys and gunners? Even Crawford was annoyed by his selfishness, Nelson and Jack can't stand him. He'd play exactly the same way in the C's because he doesn't know how to play differently. And, to be honest, I don't see the point: he's a one trick pony, why force him to do things he's not very good at?

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2008, 12:41:34 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
The warriors essentially selected two Gerald Greens in the draft, Brandon Wright and later Anthony Randolph. Terrible utilization of the NBA draft.

Exactly. And signed a terrible player in Maggette to an absurd contract. Now Nelson has the mess Mullin created.

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2008, 12:42:51 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
A mid-level, 1 year deal for Corey coming off the bench would've have been a great deal for the Celtics no matter how you cut it, no matter how selfish the dude turned out to be. A selfish player like him might just be what our bench needs. Still, I would've found it very hard to believe that he'd be such a bad influence as he has been with the Warriors.