Author Topic: Celtics have had discussions with Robert Horry  (Read 8839 times)

Celtics have had discussions with Robert Horry
« on: December 19, 2008, 04:06:55 PM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
This may not be the first time you hear it. Or it may be...

The same guy who I told you told me about the Steven Hunter to Boston talks chatted with me casually on the phone last night (as we do sometimes) and he mentioned that the Celtics were looking at several specific veteran forwards, two of whom aren't even playing for an NBA team at the moment. I told him I knew because it was in the paper the previous day. But he mentioned that the Celtics really want PJ Brown back, but he is enjoying retirement too much. The Celtics have talked to Robert Horry who hasn't been getting much publicity of late, but has been working out to get into NBA shape... and has told the Celtics he'll tell them if he wants to come back. He's heard nothing on the trade front. I asked him about Marbury - he said he doesn't know anything about Steph coming here.

Just so you know... I'm not going to spill his exact role with the Celtics medical staff... he doesn't work with players personally but he does carry their private medical information, addresses, etc... he hears things offhand.

I know the mods would prefer I keep this in here in a trade idea section... so here it is... make what you want from it. He generally doesn't have much to say, and being the friend he is, I know he's being honest.

After all, teams do talk all the time with other teams and their players. It could just be that Horry is not coming, and it's a total non issue which we'll never hear about. I know one thing for certain - there HAVE been back and forth talks... at least at some point. But that's the nature of 90%+ of player personnel movement.

Re: Celtics have had discussions with Robert Horry
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 05:07:48 PM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
Hmmm, that would be ok, but KG - Powe - BBD is a pretty good PF combo if the C's could get a guy like Mutumbo or PJ. However, there could be some intriguing 2nd unit lineups if Horry could play the 3 against the slower SFs. Ever since the Nash bodycheck, I'm definitely higher on Horry. Not that I didn't like him before or don't like Nash, its just fun to see those kind of moments, maybe I'm just a sicko..

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 05:15:00 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
I am not doubting you at all, because frankly I dont care if your comments are made up or not (that sounded meaner then intended).

BUT

what would someone in the med department hear regarding movement on players...I mean I doubt Danny and the other executives are discussing business around the med people, because they have no reason to be around the med people...right? 

anyway, I hate Horry.  I hope he is not at any point put on this team.

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 05:18:24 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Any chance that this one turns out as legit as the Hunter rumor? ;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 05:29:30 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Maybe he'll throw another towel at Ainge.

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 07:12:09 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Not Cheap Shot Rob!

We might be better off with Antione Walker than Cheap Shot Rob.

CHeap Shot Rob will probably sign up with the Fakers when Crybaby Vuyachuch turns his ankle and is never heard from again.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 07:46:14 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Horry looked done last season.  No thanks.

What happened to Bonzi?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 08:13:39 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
What did the sandwich guy say about this rumor?
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 08:35:17 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
What did the sandwich guy say about this rumor?

Sandwich Guy's was a SUBstandard source  :P  ;D
Yup

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 08:50:01 PM »

• Jaylen Brown
I am not doubting you at all, because frankly I dont care if your comments are made up or not (that sounded meaner then intended).

BUT

what would someone in the med department hear regarding movement on players...I mean I doubt Danny and the other executives are discussing business around the med people, because they have no reason to be around the med people...right? 

anyway, I hate Horry.  I hope he is not at any point put on this team.

Did I say that Danny and Celtics front office people are talking directly to medical records clerks and related staff?

There is discussion about the Celtics and the team in that environment though, and they do get to see individual Celtics players in person (though they don't get info from the players themselves according to my buddy).

I didn't say that the rumor was substantiated. My source heard it from a person who he tells me knows something about the internal matters within the team.

I'm not going to sit here to try and validate myself, I've said enough. I thought it was an interesting topic of discussion, based on the facts I've been given... personally I think Horry would be a good fit because he can stretch the D and he brings lots of experience. Plus, he can defend the post, something that doesn't generally escape a player's abilities even with age being a factor.

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 09:24:53 PM »

Offline Norcalceltic

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
Horry looked done last season.  No thanks.

What happened to Bonzi?

I think Bonzi signed to play with a Team in China.

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 02:37:10 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I would throw all the available money/roster spots at Mutumbo and even Marbury before Horry. I use to love his game, but it's clearly gone...like Cassell. They've done an awesome job in their respective careers, but it's over. Horry couldn't hit an open 3 in the playoffs last year...no more "Big Shot Rob", just "Hockey Checking Rob"...(I couldn't resist myself). .

Marbury could contribute to the lack of offense from the bench, but there's too much risk in ruining the chemistry.
I still think Antoine could do the same, but his lack of D and lack of shape(as in being out of shape, cuz his shape is "round") make in a liability.
Mutumbo is the only player that could fill a void and doesn't require ball touches. When Yao went out last year, Mutumbo was perfect in filling the void. Even at age 55, the guy can snag rebounds, block shots, make an open dunk, and wave his long crooked finger...he would be awesome.
The SF is the only position that is open but there are no names to fill it, and this year at least, Pierce is just going to have to play more minutes, and Tony Allen will have to stay in his role
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 09:03:08 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
It seems that Danny is working on several fronts:

"Boston is shopping to upgrade the bench, especially up front. Brown is a possibility as a second-half addition again. Robert Horry – after previously saying he would consider playing only for the Spurs, Rockets or Mavericks because they are likely playoff teams close to his Houston home or Orlando because he could take his kids to Disney World – has not ruled out the Celtics."

http://www.sacbee.com/kings/story/1511744.html

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 09:06:38 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Horry is clearly cooked at this point in his career. No thanks.

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 09:44:53 AM »

• Jaylen Brown
I told you there was conversation between the Celtics and Horry, or else you wouldn't see a published article stating that Horry hasn't "ruled out" the Celtics. That very fact means he's considered playing for us and has done some research directly with the Celtics to see if they'd want him and if they do, how he'd fit in.