Author Topic: Can the Celtics beat the Hawks in Atlanta? (YES, they did.)  (Read 13961 times)

Re: Can the Celtics beat the Hawks in Atlanta?
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2008, 11:39:05 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
how is this thread not considered "baiting"?  jr giddens strikes again by creating this type of thread....then is no where to be found in the thread, several pages later.  his motive wasnt to have a legit discussion, but to instigate emotions/responses from others.

It seems like a legitimate question to me.  The C's had a lot of trouble in Atlanta last year, and Atlanta has been great at home again this year.

Agreed.  While the original post is questionable in its tone, the topic itself is worthy of discussion (i.e., what was the problem last year in the playoffs, have the Celts resolved it, should we be concerned by Atlanta's 9-1 home record, etc.)

I know it can at times be difficult, but for posters who get under your skin try to ignore them and try to focus on the legit discussion points.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2008, 11:40:21 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
how is this thread not considered "baiting"?  jr giddens strikes again by creating this type of thread....then is no where to be found in the thread, several pages later.  his motive wasnt to have a legit discussion, but to instigate emotions/responses from others.

It seems like a legitimate question to me.  The C's had a lot of trouble in Atlanta last year, and Atlanta has been great at home again this year.

the question itself could be legitimate.....but lets be realistic here and take a step back for a second and look at the big picture. why enable his creating these threads?

this poster has done this several times. it is pretty clear, not just through this thread, but also historically, that his motive is not to start a discussion, but rather to generate a response or reaction.  in these threads he creates, he often will not respond in the thread after creating it. if this question and thread was brought up by someone else, that does not have a history of doing so, it could absolutely be a legit question/thread to discuss. 

im not trying to stir the pot and create an issue. im just confused why nothing has been done and he is allowed to continue his pattern, when it seems so apparent what his motives are, and that it is against the blog rules.

this is from the blog rules:

# Do not “lure” or “bait” others towards rule-breaking behavior.  This prohibition applies site-wide.  Responding to such “bait” in a manner that violates Celticsblog rules is equally inappropriate, and is subject to the same level of punishment.
# No “trolling”.  Commenting in a thread in a manner that is likely to provoke an angry response from others is not permitted.   Posters should appreciate that in many instances, commentary that would otherwise be appropriate may not be appropriate in a specific thread (i.e., bringing up rumors of alleged cocaine use by a beloved player in a tribute thread dedicated to the memory of that player, etc.)

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2008, 11:40:39 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Agreed.  While the original post is questionable in its tone, the topic itself is worthy of discussion (i.e., what was the problem last year in the playoffs, have the Celts resolved it, should we be concerned by Atlanta's 9-1 home record, etc.)

I know it can at times be difficult, but for posters who get under your skin try to ignore them and try to focus on the legit discussion points.

I think while anything can happen, The celtics want to make a statement this game, and so far, statement games (washington, utah, bobcats, magic) tend to go poorley for the other team.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2008, 11:45:20 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

once again, ur right :)

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2008, 11:52:10 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

the question itself could be legitimate.....but lets be realistic here and take a step back for a second and look at the big picture. why enable his creating these threads?

this poster has done this several times. it is pretty clear, not just through this thread, but also historically, that his motive is not to start a discussion, but rather to generate a response or reaction.  in these threads he creates, he often will not respond in the thread after creating it. if this question and thread was brought up by someone else, that does not have a history of doing so, it could absolutely be a legit question/thread to discuss. 

im not trying to stir the pot and create an issue. im just confused why nothing has been done and he is allowed to continue his pattern, when it seems so apparent what his motives are, and that it is against the blog rules.

this is from the blog rules:

# Do not “lure” or “bait” others towards rule-breaking behavior.  This prohibition applies site-wide.  Responding to such “bait” in a manner that violates Celticsblog rules is equally inappropriate, and is subject to the same level of punishment.
# No “trolling”.  Commenting in a thread in a manner that is likely to provoke an angry response from others is not permitted.   Posters should appreciate that in many instances, commentary that would otherwise be appropriate may not be appropriate in a specific thread (i.e., bringing up rumors of alleged cocaine use by a beloved player in a tribute thread dedicated to the memory of that player, etc.)

I understand your concern (although do not agree with it), but please do not call out posters like this again...especially not in the thread (there is a forum for discussions like this...although it is not meant to discuss individual posters).  If you have a concern, bring it up directly with a moderator, and we will discuss our decisions with you (at least to the point we feel is appropriate).

Posts like this are not appropriate, and all they lead to are more animosity among the CB community than is necessary.

This goes for everyone.

« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2008, 12:55:02 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The last two posts were deleted.  What part of Chris' warning to get back on topic wasn't clear?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2008, 03:55:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Atlanta and the lakers upcoming in a week should be the biggest threat towards being able to continue our streak.

Personally streaks are good but i rather beat atlanta and the lakers even if the streak will be broken soon. (just look at houston last year when they won 22 in a row and we beat them, they didn't even get to the finals)

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2008, 05:23:13 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Yep, the more wins, the merrier.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2008, 06:13:59 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
This game has been hyped all over the both cities and the league itself.  This is the only true way for this team to be challenged during the regular season.  Anytime they play the Lakers or the Cavs it will be there.  I think the only other team that can cause this kind of hype is the Hawks, at least when the game is in Atlanta.  I'm excited for this one, should be a lot of fun.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2008, 06:14:54 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
This game has been hyped all over the both cities and the league itself.  This is the only true way for this team to be challenged during the regular season.  Anytime they play the Lakers or the Cavs it will be there.  I think the only other team that can cause this kind of hype is the Hawks, at least when the game is in Atlanta.  I'm excited for this one, should be a lot of fun.

yup its on National television too.
i really want this champs to end all those rivalry talking ON national TV
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

Re: Can the Celtics beat the Hawks on their homecourt?
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2008, 09:44:08 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I'm now convinced they will win. JR Giddens is a great reverse jinxer.  :D

Good job, JR.

« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2008, 09:47:32 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Good job, JR.

Wait, are we sure the Celts can do it?

How can there be any question whether the Celts are capable of beating anyone, anywhere, anytime?

Yup

« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2008, 10:31:41 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Good job, JR.

How can there be any question whether the Celts are capable of beating anyone, anywhere, anytime?

You're correct, Sir; of course they are capable of beating anyone, anywhere, anytime.

But once JR Giddens answered his own question with a "probably not", I immediately thought the chances of coming home with a win were mightily increased. Just like the "Geez Louise, nobody can beat the Lakers" lead to a notorious decline on the Lakers' performances (not entirely translated to their W/L record yet) or "Rondo isn't NBA material, find another PG" was followed by a huge improvement on Rondo's production.

ps - I meant no offense JR Giddens, just fooling around ;)

« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2008, 10:36:53 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Good job, JR.

You're correct, Sir; of course they are capable of beating anyone, anywhere, anytime.

But once JR Giddens answered his own question with a "probably not", I immediately thought the chances of coming home with a win were mightily increased. Just like the "Geez Louise, nobody can beat the Lakers" lead to a notorious decline on the Lakers' performances (not entirely translated to their W/L record yet) or "Rondo isn't NBA material, find another PG" was followed by a huge improvement on Rondo's production.

ps - I meant no offense JR Giddens, just fooling around ;)

On the same token, the Clippers can beat anyone, anytime, anywhere...It's the NBA!
Yup

Re: Can the Celtics beat the Hawks in Atlanta? (YES, they did.)
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2008, 10:38:01 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!