Author Topic: Can the Celtics beat the Hawks in Atlanta? (YES, they did.)  (Read 14021 times)

Re: Can the Celtics beat the Hawks in Atlanta?
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2008, 09:46:30 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I just hope Josh doesn't get any blocks on Rondo... it can re-traumatize him for life.

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2008, 09:57:41 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
In response to the original question...

I will not answer that [dang] question.

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2008, 10:01:38 PM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
That Hawks team is just too dominant.  Can't see our boys having a chance in this one.

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?

I'm counting on the Celts' desire to right the wrong of last season's playoffs to carry the day, I think the Hawks will overstress and make a few mistakes.

;)

-sw

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2008, 10:30:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm not sure what I find more amazing, that the Atlanta Hawks are actually playing .625 ball or that the original question actually has a bit of validity to it.

Atlanta is that type of freakishly long and athletic and talented and tough team with an attitude that is just not a good match for the Celtics. Personally I think the outcome of the game will hinge on the Rondo/Bibby match up. Who ever wins that battle will win the game for his team.

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2008, 10:40:37 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
I'm not sure what I find more amazing, that the Atlanta Hawks are actually playing .625 ball or that the original question actually has a bit of validity to it.

Atlanta is that type of freakishly long and athletic and talented and tough team with an attitude that is just not a good match for the Celtics. Personally I think the outcome of the game will hinge on the Rondo/Bibby match up. Who ever wins that battle will win the game for his team.

Unfortunately, Nick, I don't think it will.  I expect Rondo to outplay Bibby as usual, but for them to give us a hard time. 

They are a dangerous, fairly deep team with loads of matchup problems for us and a lot of confidence to boot.

Goes without saying, but definitely our biggest test before the showdown at Staples.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2008, 11:00:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Unfortunately, Nick, I don't think it will.  I expect Rondo to outplay Bibby as usual, but for them to give us a hard time. 

They are a dangerous, fairly deep team with loads of matchup problems for us and a lot of confidence to boot.

Goes without saying, but definitely our biggest test before the showdown at Staples.
Yeah, but Bibby outplayed Rondo earlier this year and was a major reason the Celtics almost lost that game. Plus, this isn't the Mike Bibby of 2006-2007 or 2007-2008. Bibby is playing excellent ball and is integral to the success this Hawks team is having.

But you're right about the match ups. Horford, Smith, Childress, Williams and Pachulia are just not a good match for our mostly undersized and not overly long front court(KG being the exception there).

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2008, 11:17:13 PM »

Offline illantari

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
I just hope Josh doesn't get any blocks on Rondo... it can re-traumatize him for life.

Ditto.  Also hope Marvin Williams doesn't try to decapitate him again- I think I prefer him with his rather large head.

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2008, 11:30:07 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
win...come to papa!!
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2008, 11:50:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
we can beat them BUT we have to change our strategy to do that at their turf. Doc wonderfully failed to do this twice at last years playoffs(something a great coach like greg popovich would never let happen).

One player that is a headache is josh smith out of anyone. He is quicker than kg and is a really tenacious defender in the paint against the drive. I remember their strategy very well last year which was to dare rondo to shoot while bibby(playing back a bit more) can double team ray allen or pierce if they get the ball and if they pass off to kg then he would quickly be doubled properly and kickout back to rondo to be dared to shoot. (if using screens, kg would have to take long jumpers and if rondo tried to penetrate josh smith would be there to disrupt or swat it away)

Rondo needs to shoot early while he has the space to get bibby to think a little. It will start with rondo to mess up the hawks defensive scheme. If that is messed up the crowed won't fuel their offense (hawks like to run , then that player who runs up first stops, feeds it to a streaking josh smith for a layup for example)

I hope we win but if we don't i won't be too sad about it.

Honestly two teams other than lakers and cavs that give me an uneasy feeling to meet in the playoffs this year are the nuggets and hawks

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2008, 12:12:27 AM »

Offline Reddo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Great post, I totally agree that Rondo is the key but I think that's true of most of our offense this year (unlike last year).  Last year, especially late, the Pierce-KG pick and roll was a huge part of the offense.  This year, most everything runs through Rondo in some way and his ability to drive the lane consistently is what raised the offense to another level.

Rondo's confidence is the difference.  In the Atlanta series when he started going cold with his shot he'd get too passive.  Even if he's not hitting his jumper I think we can beat Atlanta if he can drive the lane and right now nobody is able to stop him from doing that especially not Bibby.  Rondo will just blow by Bibby every chance he gets.  Now he has the confidence to do that consistently.

Atlanta is still very dangerous though cause they're one of the few teams in the East that has the speed on defense (outside of Bibby) to really keep up with everyone on C's.  I'm really looking forward to this game.  The Hawks and Cavs are the only teams I fear in the East; Orlando and Detroit just can't keep up to the Celtics.

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2008, 12:17:44 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
we can beat them BUT we have to change our strategy to do that at their turf. Doc wonderfully failed to do this twice at last years playoffs(something a great coach like greg popovich would never let happen).

One player that is a headache is josh smith out of anyone. He is quicker than kg and is a really tenacious defender in the paint against the drive. I remember their strategy very well last year which was to dare rondo to shoot while bibby(playing back a bit more) can double team ray allen or pierce if they get the ball and if they pass off to kg then he would quickly be doubled properly and kickout back to rondo to be dared to shoot. (if using screens, kg would have to take long jumpers and if rondo tried to penetrate josh smith would be there to disrupt or swat it away)

Rondo needs to shoot early while he has the space to get bibby to think a little. It will start with rondo to mess up the hawks defensive scheme. If that is messed up the crowed won't fuel their offense (hawks like to run , then that player who runs up first stops, feeds it to a streaking josh smith for a layup for example)

I hope we win but if we don't i won't be too sad about it.

Honestly two teams other than lakers and cavs that give me an uneasy feeling to meet in the playoffs this year are the nuggets and hawks

Clearly Doc was the problem.  ::)

And what was the strategy he should have used?

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2008, 05:23:45 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Well i aint no nba coach but you can't let a 8th seed team take you to the 7th game that way.

So to answer your question and once again i aint no coach but i would have had run the offense through kg on top of the key and rondo set screens to free up pierce or allen around the middle of the key. You could have also do something basic like let rondo drive and pass (but genius doc thought pierce was the pg in that series)

This year it is different(mainly rondo gets to be a pg and not pierce). Out of all the matchup in the floor , rondo should be able to torture bibby the most. Because guys like johnson and marvin williams are actually defenders that can keep up with pierce and allen one on one well, best rondo drives and gives it to one of our big guys. Once kg or perk score in bunches then williams or johnson have to start partially doubling them which then opens up allen/pierce to drive or shoot.

To stop atlantas offense kg and perk need to be deeper towards the basket. Horford nor smith are good at shooting but like to drive for layups on bounce passes(especially smith). Gotto make them jump shooters. Ray allen who after keeping up with hamilton/kobe last years playoffs, is such a better defender now, pierce and rondo should play man to man defense and not double team. All three of them(williams, johnson, bibby) can shoot the lightsout otherwise

It will be a close game and even though the celtics motto is to live and die with defense, putting a bit more effort on offense will be a higher key to win

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2008, 11:14:01 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
how is this thread not considered "baiting"?  jr giddens strikes again by creating this type of thread....then is no where to be found in the thread, several pages later.  his motive wasnt to have a legit discussion, but to instigate emotions/responses from others.

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2008, 11:30:42 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
how is this thread not considered "baiting"?  jr giddens strikes again by creating this type of thread....then is no where to be found in the thread, several pages later.  his motive wasnt to have a legit discussion, but to instigate emotions/responses from others.

It seems like a legitimate question to me.  The C's had a lot of trouble in Atlanta last year, and Atlanta has been great at home again this year.

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2008, 11:34:46 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.

Agreed.  This is becoming an annoying trend.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com