Author Topic: bos/cha trade  (Read 4831 times)

bos/cha trade
« on: December 11, 2008, 11:52:50 PM »

Offline WW1MR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 20
With the cats trading jrich for Bell and Diaw, some people think that Gerald Wallace will not be in Charlotte much longer. As much as I like the Eddie House signing, I think I like this trade better. I don't know why the cats would do this, but then again I don't know why they'd trade their leading scorer for a couple defensive-minded role players.

Note: this trade would have to wait until Dec. 15 to be done.
Realgm Trade ID #4861998

Charlotte
 -2.2 ppg, -3.7 rpg, and -0.7 apg.

Incoming Players
Tony Allen
9.0 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 1.1 apg in 19.9 minutes

Eddie House
7.2 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 1.2 apg in 17.0 minutes

Brian Scalabrine
2.4 ppg, 0.7 rpg, 0.3 apg in 10.2 minutes

Boston Trade Breakdown
+2.2 ppg, +3.7 rpg, and +0.7 apg.

Incoming Players
Shannon Brown
5.5 ppg, 0.5 rpg, 1.1 apg in 11.3 minutes

Gerald Wallace
15.3 ppg, 7.6 rpg, 2.2 apg in 38.1 minutes

I'd even throw in Bill Walker or a future pick to make it more appetizing for the Bobcats.

Boston Lineup:
Rondo/Cassell/Pruit
Ray Allen/Shannon Brown/Giddens
Pierce/Gerald Wallace
KG/Powe
Perkins/Baby/POB

Roster space to sign a big man midseason and a pure shooter to replace House in the future.
Would you do it? Or is a 21 and 2 record too good to risk any trades?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you..." (R. Kipling)

Re: bos/cha trade
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 12:08:41 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
How about we get him for free, JK.  I wouldn't touch this squad, we're on FIRE! TA is becoming the player he was before the knee injury & with house i wouldn't even trade house for 1st round pick. House is a warrior on the basketball, he brings it every single game.

I'm still hoping BJ come back tho.

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 12:31:48 AM »

Offline Freeease1

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 7
I see no reason to make such a trade. things are getting better as things are. Why mess with a good thing? Tony and And Eddie are to valuable- a "double whammy" to Gerald Wallace. Wallace is a good player but wil not necessary'y make us better iMHO

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 07:57:16 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Wallace is being payed to much money and his career is a little to fragile right now to be making a move for him. 

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 08:59:49 AM »

Offline kwelch

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
You're missing the point fellows.  With this line-up we would be 24-0!

Why?  This team is doing well and and House and Allen have been key role players.  Also, I would not get rid of Bill Walker.  I think he is going to be a really good one.

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 09:02:05 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Lets keep a little perspective here. Gerald Wallace is 6 days older than Tony Allen, plays three positions, and is a borderline all star.

If the Bobcats would take our pupu platter, you bet we would give it to them.

I might tweak it a little by asking for Singletary (Backup Pount) and Hollins (Backup 7'0") instead of Brown, and throw in a Leon Powe sweetener - Wallace would take his minutes, and he will be difficult to resign next year.

Keep Walker and the pick.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 09:24:47 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Lets keep a little perspective here. Gerald Wallace is 6 days older than Tony Allen, plays three positions, and is a borderline all star.

I might tweak it a little by asking for Singletary (Backup Pount) and Hollins (Backup 7'0") instead of Brown, and throw in a Leon Powe sweetener - Wallace would take his minutes, and he will be difficult to resign next year.

Wallace is signed max like money through 2012/2013. 

Keep this in perspective, he is one more concussion from being out of the league.  He has only put up numbers on an expansion team while being a decent backup on a good team. 

That is a player you do not want long term for big money. 

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 09:37:11 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Adding Gerald Wallace is an invitation to play small ball for Doc Rivers. Good or bad? Hard to say, he is an excellent defender and tough. The problem I see is not what we give up from the above listed, but what the future holds. We then have: Paul, Ray, Wallace, Giddens and Walker. That makes Wallace and the two rookies the heirs to our wing jobs. Is he a better choice than Tony Allen in three-four years?

If we send Scal, Tony, Powe and Eddie away then who does that leave on the bench? Baby, Wallace, Brown/Singletary and POB/Hollins. looks a lot weaker defensively to me and not much reliable scoring. A lot would hinge on Pruitt/Walker/Giddens near term bench contributions. That is definite 'wishful thinking' on our part.

I do not think Charlotte would do this trade without the Leon Powe/Tony Allen tandem in any event. I would have to get a second rounder back from them at least to even that out after including Eddie House. That is 3 rotation players form us for 1.5 from them with Shannon Brown being little better than Gabe Pruitt IMO.

Keep this in perspective, he is one more concussion from being out of the league.  He has only put up numbers on an expansion team while being a decent backup on a good team. 

And then if this concussion thing is even potentially serious? They need to include a provisional first rounder and insurance for the life of the contract. I am betting they have some insurance already, but is it enough? 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 10:11:40 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum

The gap between a max contract and the $8.3m Wallace is making this year is minimal, and if he went out permanently with a concussion insurance would pick up his the remainder of his deal, and he would be washed off our books (medical retirement).

Is another concussion any more likely than Tony blowing out his knee again?
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 10:19:47 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
Adding Gerald Wallace is an invitation to play small ball for Doc Rivers. Good or bad? Hard to say, he is an excellent defender and tough. The problem I see is not what we give up from the above listed, but what the future holds. We then have: Paul, Ray, Wallace, Giddens and Walker. That makes Wallace and the two rookies the heirs to our wing jobs. Is he a better choice than Tony Allen in three-four years?

If we send Scal, Tony, Powe and Eddie away then who does that leave on the bench? Baby, Wallace, Brown/Singletary and POB/Hollins. looks a lot weaker defensively to me and not much reliable scoring. A lot would hinge on Pruitt/Walker/Giddens near term bench contributions. That is definite 'wishful thinking' on our part.

I do not think Charlotte would do this trade without the Leon Powe/Tony Allen tandem in any event. I would have to get a second rounder back from them at least to even that out after including Eddie House. That is 3 rotation players form us for 1.5 from them with Shannon Brown being little better than Gabe Pruitt IMO.

Your choice, but the second one looks better to me...

Current Wing Rotation: Ray/Pierce/Allen/Scalabrine
Future Wing Rotation: Ray/Pierce/Wallace/Walker

Losing House is a concern, so a lot would depend on whether the coaches thought Pruitt was ready (No real opinion, haven't seen enough) or if Singletary was up for it.

Losing Powe would hurt, but Wallace is an upgrade, and Baby/Hollins/POB could help cover the hole. There is also the possibility of a late season buyout.

From a contract perspective, next season Powe is probably in the $3.5m-$5m range, and Tony is $2.5, so Wallace is close to a wash.

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 10:24:48 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Getting rid of our two best bench players and heart of that second unit, House and Powe, would be absolutely insane. House is getting better and better at running the point, his energy is unbelievable, and we all know he is a huge offensive weapon. Powe is just amazing down low and  the KG of the second unit. His intensity is such a big part of what we are. IMO those two are untouchables. If we could work something out with a TA and BBD and others that included a bigger 3 and a defending center, then have at it, but once again, why would someone do that?! I like what we have with a possible pickup of a veteran big at the deadline.