Author Topic: Former Celtic Mike James: 9 teams in 8 years (!)  (Read 3654 times)

Former Celtic Mike James: 9 teams in 8 years (!)
« on: December 11, 2008, 10:13:12 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Some players really find it hard to stay in the same team and need to travel around the country in search of a NBA home.

The case of James is quite an example: He went undrafted, played in France and Austria and then has played for 9 teams in his NBA career, including our Celtics. He is purely a shooter, a guy that can score but i believe he can't create plays for other players as a regular basis...he got a nice contract some years ago, but i wonder what it feels to move around so much!

Re: Former Celtic Mike James: 9 teams in 8 years (!)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 10:31:32 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Mike James is like a shiny used car that has a big engine so it can go really fast. Maybe you paid a little much for it, but it just looks so pretty and it is gonna be so much fun to drive.

Then you get it and realize the car is an absolute gas guzzler, the driver side window doesn't always go down, the automatic locks never work, the cup holders are broken, the seat is really uncomfortable, there is a tape stuck in the tape deck and surprise! Its a single of Abba's "Take a Chance" and it was fun to listen to the first 10 times but now you just drive in resentful silence.

Then you realize yeah, its fun to go fast, but in order to drive it you have to be willing to be constantly on edge, get 9 miles to the gallon, and never be comfortable.

So you decide to sell it off, take it at a marginal loss, and let some other schmuck deal with it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 10:34:32 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
And guess who gave him the big contract........

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 10:35:42 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Some players really find it hard to stay in the same team and need to travel around the country in search of a NBA home.

The case of James is quite an example: He went undrafted, played in France and Austria and then has played for 9 teams in his NBA career, including our Celtics. He is purely a shooter, a guy that can score but i believe he can't create plays for other players as a regular basis...he got a nice contract some years ago, but i wonder what it feels to move around so much!

I'm sure if you told Mike James while he was playing in Austria, that he would play for 9 NBA teams, he'd be jumping for joy.  Granted, once he came into the league and had some succcess, I'm sure he thought he'd have some sense of continuity, but he's been able to stay in the league and get a nice contract, which is pretty much all you can ask for when you're essentially an undersized shooting guard starting out overseas.

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 11:01:26 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
he is a journeyman.  he is one of those guys that intrigues gm's and can temporarily fill a void, but is never in the organizations long term plans.

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 11:02:23 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
mike james has contacted paul shirley to see if the two of them might collaborate on a novel together...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 11:09:03 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
He's the Chucky Brown of this generation.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 11:20:53 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Mike James is like a shiny used car that has a big engine so it can go really fast. Maybe you paid a little much for it, but it just looks so pretty and it is gonna be so much fun to drive.

Then you get it and realize the car is an absolute gas guzzler, the driver side window doesn't always go down, the automatic locks never work, the cup holders are broken, the seat is really uncomfortable, there is a tape stuck in the tape deck and surprise! Its a single of Abba's "Take a Chance" and it was fun to listen to the first 10 times but now you just drive in resentful silence.

Then you realize yeah, its fun to go fast, but in order to drive it you have to be willing to be constantly on edge, get 9 miles to the gallon, and never be comfortable.

So you decide to sell it off, take it at a marginal loss, and let some other schmuck deal with it.

OK, let's follow this analogy through...You're looking at this used car and the title says it's had 9 owners in 8 years and you're asking yourself "How come it still costs so much then?"

Buyer beware!

I still want to know how he was able to have such a phenomenal season in Toronto and never again come close to that sort of production. 

I'll also be forever grateful that he enabled us to have Chucky Atkins in the green for the John Carroll era.
Yup

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 11:28:29 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
i'm surprised he always passes his physicals...looks like he's kinda hunched over...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 12:05:44 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Well, it's not unheard of.  House is on his eighth NBA team (and interestingly, House and James were teammates for a couple years in Miami). 

Even when Mike James was "good", though...  he was never very good.  I remember at the time that he was putting up 20PPG in Toronto, that some team would be dumb enough to extrapolate his scoring ability on a woeful, woeful franchise into a fat contract that they would regret within six months.  Kevin McHale, suckered again!

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 12:11:08 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!

OK, let's follow this analogy through...You're looking at this used car and the title says it's had 9 owners in 8 years and you're asking yourself "How come it still costs so much then?"

Buyer beware!

I still want to know how he was able to have such a phenomenal season in Toronto and never again come close to that sort of production. 

I'll also be forever grateful that he enabled us to have Chucky Atkins in the green for the John Carroll era.

So we're all in agreement, this is this Wizards new PG?

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 12:13:54 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Buyer beware!

So we're all in agreement, this is this Wizards new PG?

I call dibs on blue Bug in the corner! 

(that would be a Khalid El-Amin type)
Yup