Author Topic: Richardson to PHX  (Read 8773 times)

Re: Richardson to PHX
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 07:34:05 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i think both teams benefitted from the trade for different reasons.  i think jrich will do really well in phx's system.  his numbers should be much more efficient offensively!

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 07:37:01 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Celts need to go after Raja now... He I am sure he wants a ring and for him and Tony to come off the bench would be great for offense of the 2nd unit and Defense for the second unit! GO GET RAJA!

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 07:38:30 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Good trade for PHX.  I live in the Bay Area and have seen a bit of JRich's play (when he was with GSW).  He should really help the PHX starting lineup, and while PHX loses a bit in depth, it was already redundant with Matt Barnes playing so well.  Dudley is just gravy...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 07:43:18 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Wow ... I thought Richardson was available on the cheap but this is ridiculous. What were Charlotte thinking? Expiring contracts are more valuable than what they got back. They didn't even get Barbosa? How don't you get Barbosa? Jeez guys, come on.

It's a home run for Phoenix.

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 07:48:31 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Yep, I really like this for Phoenix, and a second round pick from Charlotte in 2010 is not bad at all.

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 08:50:38 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
It is natural to look at this in terms of what PHX gets because they are the better, therefore more interesting team.

But when you try to look at it from Charlotte's perspective... my LORD what is this team doing?  They have no identity and it seems no purpose, no method.  Just "let's try this.... hmm no let's try this..." over and over again.  WOW.

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 09:03:08 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I see two possible reasons Charlotte did this deal:

1. Everyone knows they were lacking frontcourt help. At least Diaw can defend up front a little.

2. Raja Bell played under Larry Brown in Philly. I get the feeling Brown picks favorites and is slow to change his mind. Of course Bell is not the same player and there's no AI to surround with defenders, but I think Brown's ship has sailed.

That said, i don't get this trade from Charlotte's perspective.

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 09:06:28 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
I see two possible reasons Charlotte did this deal:

1. Everyone knows they were lacking frontcourt help. At least Diaw can defend up front a little.

2. Raja Bell played under Larry Brown in Philly. I get the feeling Brown picks favorites and is slow to change his mind. Of course Bell is not the same player and there's no AI to surround with defenders, but I think Brown's ship has sailed.

That said, i don't get this trade from Charlotte's perspective.

I don't know I never thought of Diaw as a really defensive player.  I think he was at his best as a sort of PF/C hybrid with distributing skills.  I don't think that's what CHA needs.

You might be right on Raja Bell and I think you are definitely right that Brown's ship has sailed.  Raja Bell belongs on a title contender.  He isn't going to make a bad team good, he'll make a good team better.

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 09:10:59 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Charlotte at the least cleared about 5-7 million in salaries for the 2010 free-agency.

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 09:18:58 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Very solid trade for Phoenix. Phoenix now has two great scorers with Stoudemire and Richardson. Nash, Hill, and Oneal are great play makers. However, it does not seem like their game personalities mesh too well. I will be excited to see how it works out, but phoenix is definitely a better team now.

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 10:36:52 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
it really helps phoenix. not much to give up to get an almost allstar level player.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2008, 12:58:19 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
J-Rich can't get to PHX soon enough.  I am watching the waning moments of the PHX-LAL game....

Man, I hate the Lakers. 
I can't emphasize that enough. 
That team just is a magnet for showboaters and I look forward to watching the Cs dismantle them (of course, only to hear some excuse from the national media -- something about Vujacic's finger or Bynum's back or some such excuse -- to hear them, the Cs shouldn't have won last June.  You know, if Bynum was healthy, the Lakers would have won .....  :P).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2008, 01:19:34 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Home run for Phoenix. They get the best player in the deal, the better young prospect, a draft pick, and they unload the longer contract.

Was this Jordan's call? Regardless, Charlotte's front office has no clue. Bell's a winner and a good vet, but Diaw is not the power forward they need, especially in the Eastern conference. They gave up way too much for what they got back.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 01:41:33 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
TP Lucky. (While not headline worthy, the fact that Charlotte was persuaded to include Dudley and a 2nd round pick in an already lopsided deal is maybe the worst part.)

I announced it in the Fantasy League, but I'll repeat it here; despite being, at one time, the best coach and player in the league, Brown and Jordan make up the NBA's worst front office.

Brown will love Bell's competitive fire and defense, but he's limited offensively, has lost another step, and was unhappy under Porter. Diaw is a great ball handler at his position and a solid defender, but he's not a jump shooter and is unreliable on the boards. His success was as much a product of D'Antoni's system as any player to pass through PHX. Add in his past conditioning issues and too large contract and he's not a player I'd want much.

Bobcats were already the league's worst offensive team the last time they were without Richardson... I'm another one that doesn't see it, other than that it clears minutes for Augustin, who for all his talent is still a 6' shooting guard (who is now backed up by another 6' shooting guard, in Sean Singletary...)

Sure Richardson is one of many overpaid second bananas, but he's hard working, is a threat at the rim and from behind the arc, rebounds, and has the physical tools - if not the focus or acumen - to be a strong defender himself. He'll be Nash's best backcourt mate since J.J. left town.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 01:55:38 PM by The Walker Wiggle »

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 08:23:18 AM »

Offline sky101

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
OMG - I thought all of you were insane when you were saying this was a good trade for the Suns!

must be the fact that I only slept for three hours, but when I saw the name "Richardson" I thought you were all taking about Quentin Richardson from the Knicks.  :o

hearing the words "in his prime" a step up from "MR.Matrix", a "good defender" who can get you "20 point a game" - I thought these crazies are moronic.

Q-Rich had a horrible season last year, and he's still kinda fat. and a big time prick, in the way he disrespects the talent of this Celtics team, even after a 45 point loss to them!

thank the lord it was Jason Richardson - go MSU! - he's really not that good of a defender, and barely has gone to the playoffs in his career - but nonetheless a good offensive scorer. i still remember his ridiculous dunks for brief time at MSU with Morris Peterson and the rest of the Flintstones...good times in cold Michigan with them!