Author Topic: Richardson to PHX  (Read 8775 times)

Richardson to PHX
« on: December 10, 2008, 06:10:13 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Re: Richardson to PHX
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 06:16:34 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2008/12/10/20081210sunstradeonline.html

for Diaw and Bell. 

Not a good trade for the Suns. Bell is a very good defender (maybe the Suns best) and a superb three-point shooter and Diaw does a little bit of everything. Granted, Richarson is a better offensive player than both, but they lose a lot defensively. Is Hill going to stay fit to start at the three? Who gets Diaw's minutes? Why couldn't they keep faith in Bell's D and Barbosa's 3's? Suspect trade in my opinion from Steve Kerr.

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 06:24:05 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Same exact kinda trade as with Shaq...small chance of success but it could payoff.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 06:26:45 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I thought at first they had traded to reacquire Quinton Richardson.  :-X

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 06:27:08 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
If you're the Suns, this isn't the right way to go about runnning an organization. You can't just keep on blowing it up, and hoping that the pieces are going to magically fall in place for you. To me, this looks like a panic move from a GM who realizes that it's his fault his team is struggling.

The Suns will, however, be an interesting team to watch, and a team that will certainly be able to put a lot of points on the board. The Bobcats are a bit of a enigma in their own right. Neither the Suns nor the Bobcats seem to have much direction right now - too much wheeling and dealing and not enough thinking.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 06:33:44 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Well, PHX did need a shake up, they weren't playing well together.  If Richardson can be a premier defender for them, then this could work out.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see PHX surge later this year.  There is a lot of talent on that team, they just need to all accept their roles.  It seems like there are too many egos involved to let Amare take the reigns.

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 06:35:25 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Well, PHX did need a shake up, they weren't playing well together.  If Richardson can be a premier defender for them, then this could work out.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see PHX surge later this year.  There is a lot of talent on that team, they just need to all accept their roles.  It seems like there are too many egos involved to let Amare take the reigns.

I think Amare's ego is one of their biggest issues.

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 06:40:03 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Richardson is a Very good 3 point shooter and scorer/finisher, and still just 27. He's very underrated, i think. Diaw is pretty bad and Bell has been significantly worse than Diaw this year. It leaves Phoenix a little thin, but makes their overall talent better.

I'm assuming they start Nash, Richardson, Hill, Amare and Shaq giving them two superb outside shooters and 2 great play makers on the court, and one ultra dominant and versatile scorer. They can then use Barbosa and Barnes as shooters off the bench along with Lopez to spell either big man down low.

That's 8 players right there, a pretty good offensive team. Defensively, Bell has really slipped anyway, so they weren't winning any awards there anyway.

If they think they're lacking depth at true PF and the wing and don't want to hand a lot more time to Lopez, I'd try to swing Giddens, Baby, and a second rounder for Lopez.

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 06:53:02 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Interesting trade to say the least...

There are 2 questions that will need to be answered:
1.  Will there be enough shots to go around?
2.  Can Lopez and Dudley (also acquired in the trade) provide enough depth for the frontcourt?

#1 we'll have to see.  Steve Nash is so effective of a passer because of his threat to score.  But he will certainly be the most willing to sacrifice shot attempts for the team, which could have an affect on his playmaking too if teams don't expect him to shoot.  Then if he starts shooting more, are his teammates the type to gripe about lack of touches/shot attempts?

#2 I think not.  I haven't seen Dudley play much since BC, is he an NBA rotational player?  I heard last night that Shaq will rest on consecutive day games and I don't see how the Suns can fill those minutes.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 06:53:44 PM »

Offline TripleThreat

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
Its a great move for Phoenix. As it was mentioned in the article Bell wasn't happy with his new role under Terry Porter and played his best ball under D'Antoni. They also get rid of Diaw's lofty $9 million contract. The player they are receiving is young and his prime, shooting over 45% from behind the arc. He's also a pretty decent defender. I was very much opposed to the Shaq trade but Kerr redeemed himself with this one. This could be the change the Suns needed.

The only problem with the trade is it thins out the bench some, someone is going to have to it up for them. I don't think this puts them over the top by any means but its a move in the right direction.

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 06:54:18 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Great trade - for the sole reason that we don't have to worry about JRich torching us tomorrow night :)

In all seriousness, I like this move for the Suns.  Diaw is wildly overrated.  Bell hasn't been performing all that well, and in all honestly is replicated by Barnes.  JRich fills the "create your own offense" gap that has been left vacant by JJ/Marion.

EDIT: WOW!  PHX got Dudley too?  Even better for them..
God bless and good night!

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 07:04:19 PM »

Offline Shots

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
I thought at first they had traded to reacquire Quinton Richardson.  :-X

Haha I thought exactly the same!

On the trade.. I think it makes a lot of sense. I've only seen J-Rich when he's been playing the Celtics, but if he's anyway this good on a consistant level, he's a great steal for Phoenix.

Yeah, Raja and Diaw are two decent role players - but nothing more! J-Rich is a proven scorer. He can spread the floor, he can go to the basket. Neither Diaw or Raja could do that with the same efficiency and consistency.

I fail to see how this benefits Charlotte though. They've got their defense/energy-minded swingman in Gerald Wallace. They need a scorer!

Edit: Just saw that Phoenix got Dudley as well. At this point he's no way near the level of Diaw's play, but I think he can get the. The times I've seen him he's been a burst of energy, if he's going to get his minutes, he should be able to replicate/replace Diaw!

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 07:05:14 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I didn't know Dudley was including. That tips it even more in Phoenix's favor, and we can now ignore the trade idea I threw out there.

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 07:16:26 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
For some odd reason I'm loving this trade for the SUNS. Diaw is expandable, Bell is a step slower. RJ provides the explosive guard that can drop 20pt any given night. Don't know much about he;s defense, he should be able to make it up offensively. Plus u can always teach someone how to defend, but you can't teach athleticism & a sweet JJJJJJJJJJ

Overall I think its a PLUS

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 07:23:52 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Plus u can always teach someone how to defend,

this isnt true
but i like the trade too
IMHO JRich is an upgrade over Mr Matrix
and Diaw isnt having the best year of his life, they lose deep
but they win a LOT in starting lineup

I think JRich is the kind of player that plys his game no matter what and its not going to care about what Amare thinks, so it will be Amares call to adjust too.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!