Author Topic: 3 team trade - Wizards, Hornets, Grizzlies  (Read 3759 times)

3 team trade - Wizards, Hornets, Grizzlies
« on: December 10, 2008, 12:17:34 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3759656

Wizards get:  G Mike James (from NO), G Javaris Crittenton (from MEM)
Hornets get: G Antonio Daniels (from WAS)
Grizzlies get: future 1st rd pick (not specified from whom EDIT: this is Memphis' own pick, previously traded to WAS - so probably a pretty good pick)

What do you think?  Seems like the main outcome of this is that New Orleans gets a boost to their bench.  This could help them but it hardly seems like a gamechanger.  Wizards look like they're dumping salary but I'm too lazy to look up contract info.  Memphis stocks a draft pick and helps ensure they get as little tangible help as possible from the awful Gasol trade.

Re: 3 team trade - Wizards, Hornets, Grizzlies
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 12:21:33 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
I dont think it is any salary dump (Mike James's contract is very similar, I believe...)

The Wiz must like Crittenton (since they are giving up a pretty good first round pick), which is crazy because he has done NOTHING. 

I wonder if they will start Crittenton and begin the tank, haha.

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 12:24:49 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I think this is a very good trade for the Hornets. Antonio Daniels is a much better back-up than Mike James.

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 12:26:08 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I dont think it is any salary dump (Mike James's contract is very similar, I believe...)

The Wiz must like Crittenton (since they are giving up a pretty good first round pick), which is crazy because he has done NOTHING. 

I wonder if they will start Crittenton and begin the tank, haha.

Yup, almost identical contracts...looks like they took a veteran guard downgrade to look at Crittenton.  Did some more poking around, and the Memphis pick was ridiculously protected (top-16 protected 2009, lottery protected 2010-2012, top-12 protected 2013, then, if Washington hasn't gotten it, becomes a 2013 2nd-rd pick and cash considerations).  I can see how that would seem less valuable to Washington since it doesn't look like the Grizz will escape the lottery anytime soon.

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 12:42:26 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Daniels is a nice fit in New Orleans.  He's played well for good teams in the past. 

Maybe Mike James will get a little bit of a window to show that he can play in this league again.  I know it was the perfect system for him in Toronto, but how on earth can a guy go from 20 pts a night and 6 assists to being a DNP-er in just a couple of years?

Yup

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 12:51:21 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Great trade for Washington - Javaris Crittenton is the best player in this deal and has a lot of upside. Mike James is still a solid player who should fit their system well.

Poor trade for Memphis - Crittenton is more valuable than the draft pick. It bears mentioning that this was likely as good as they could get done if they were looking for a prospect/pick for Crittenton. They were hemmed in pretty badly. They may have been better off looking at a veteran role player.

So-so trade for New Orleans - Daniels is an awful defensive player. Daniels has declined quite a lot since last season, and is playing very poorly this year with Dee Brown taking his starting spot from him. Not sure he adds anything more than they currently have. Since Byron Scott didn't like Mike James and stuck him to the end of the bench, this deal is basically a free player and all upside ... but I'm not sure there's much upside there.

I'm not sure Daniels adds enough offense to make up for his defense, or that he's an upgrade over Devin Brown. What he is though is a different type of guard than what New Orleans have, so a the minimum he gives them more options and lineup flexibility.

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 12:51:59 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Interesting...  I don't like it very much for Washington, but we'll see how Mike James does there.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 01:24:40 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
I think this is a good deal for Washington and New Orleans. NO needed a better rotation player, and WAS got a high-upside guy. The deal is confusing for MEM -- JC was their big get in the LA deal...very confusing.

Guess this means Conley won't be going to Portland?
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 02:13:57 PM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
Imo opinion Wiz got a great deal.

Im shocked to see people on this board thinking Antonio daniels is a good player.

He has shown nothing for the Wiz in 2 seasons starting most nights in place of Arenas.

Mike James is a streaky player who needs shots and touches to be effective, obviously you can't get in any kind of a rhythm when Chris Paul is playing close to 40 mins a night.

Crittenton looked great in limited appearances for Lakers as a rookie last year.

Memphis has Conley and Lowry they did not need Crittenton.

I have no idea what the Hornets are thinking in this deal, the Wiz got a great deal and Chris Wallace showed once again why he is Chris Wallace

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 02:23:01 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I find it hard to believe that anybody knows what a brand new coach's "system" is or who will fit it.  Hell, it took us 3+ seasons to figure out if Rivers even had a system.

James and Daniels are a wash.  They both ought to be kissing the feet of their agents.  Great gig if you can get it.  

Memphis had a glut of young guards.  Great trade for them.  Think we'll get to see the wiggle in a Grizz uniform?  Unless they bring Haddadi from Dakota, they'll probably at least dress Antoine.

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 02:48:55 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Imo opinion Wiz got a great deal.

Im shocked to see people on this board thinking Antonio daniels is a good player.

He has shown nothing for the Wiz in 2 seasons starting most nights in place of Arenas.

Mike James is a streaky player who needs shots and touches to be effective, obviously you can't get in any kind of a rhythm when Chris Paul is playing close to 40 mins a night.

Crittenton looked great in limited appearances for Lakers as a rookie last year.

Memphis has Conley and Lowry they did not need Crittenton.

I have no idea what the Hornets are thinking in this deal, the Wiz got a great deal and Chris Wallace showed once again why he is Chris Wallace

I'm not following.

Antonio Daniels is a better player than Mike James.  In terms of that swap, it benefits New Orleans.  The trade, therefore, is a win for them.

Memphis swapped their third-string point guard for a first round pick, which happens to be their own.  The pick is likely to be a fairly good one.  A third stringer for a mid-first benefits Memphis.   The trade, therefore, is a win for them.

Washington swapped Antonio Daniels for Mike James which is, at best, a wash (and based on recent production, a downgrade).  They then traded a potential lottery pick for J.C., who hasn't shown anything in the league.  He may very well turn out to be a good player, but is he worth a mid-first?  I don't think so.  The trade, therefore, is a loss for them, at least as I see it.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 03:38:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
wizard got the better deal here. New orleans would have last year but like someone said daniels has been bad and unproductive when he is needed the most to come through for the wiz

jarvis crittenton put up good stats with the lakers and didn't get a chance to play in memphis since they had lowry and conley.

Crittenton ppl have said is a poor mans deron williams but we will see

Memphis also came out ok in this deal dealing away a guy they didn't play a second and getting a 1st rounder

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 04:58:07 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Crittenden is overrated and Memphis doesn't need him with all the young guards they have. Plus, the Wizards pick will be in the lottery (if unprotected).  So why is this a bad deal for Memphis?

Gabe Pruitt is a better player than Crittenden.

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 05:56:15 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
What has Crittenden done in either LA or Memphis to cause people to say he's a good player?