Author Topic: Lakers at Kings  (Read 7357 times)

Re: Lakers at Kings
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 11:57:47 PM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
in the 4th qtr the Kings just has to score -> 10 points <- to get to their season average! thats a team on a freaking 8 game loosing streak.

Try to think what would happen if this was the Celtics and Garnett out there leading this team, man would he be angry.
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 12:00:33 AM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
And the Lakers are down by 15 .. hahahaha
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 12:07:56 AM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
The Kings just broke their season average with 7:20 back in the 4th qtr, this is getting redicules, the kings are on route to droping 110-120 on the lakers who by own account is a defensive minded team this year.

- Larry Bird

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 12:10:10 AM »

Offline Byrdman

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
Nothing like watching the Laker offense degenerate into Kobe throwing up 28 footers like they are worth 6pts.  Can't wait for some of that on christmas.
I need to post more so that I'm no longer characterized as Tony Allen

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 12:15:03 AM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
I am not kidding when i say this.

If this was the Celtics playing the Lakers we would have been up by 20-30 at this very moment.

Every single point the Kings has earned, they have earned by plays involving screen & roll and pick and pop plays, point guard penetration and a John Salmons penetrating to the basket (this is a guy the lakers is staying off because he dosnt have a great outside shot that you have to respect, if it was pierce he would have murded them) this is freaking early christmas

Kings up by 18

- Larry Bird

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 12:23:09 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I am not kidding when i say this.

If this was the Celtics playing the Lakers we would have been up by 20-30 at this very moment.

Every single point the Kings has earned, they have earned by plays involving screen & roll and pick and pop plays, point guard penetration and a John Salmons penetrating to the basket (this is a guy the lakers is staying off because he dosnt have a great outside shot that you have to respect, if it was pierce he would have murded them) this is freaking early christmas

Kings up by 18

I completely agree with this.  I haven't watched them that much this year, but last year they were awful on pick and rolls.  It is a very difficult thing, and a lot of NBA teams struggle.  The Celts are one of the best in the league at defending them, which is why they're one of the best defense in the league.

It is also nice that one of our best weapons offensively is the pick and roll.  That might be the difference when we play them this year.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 12:26:04 AM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
Hahaha!

you know its early Christmas when you see what i like to call "The Kobe Face" you know the, im the jesus of basketball and even though ive been shooting 8-23 and letting John Salmons do what ever he wants to do because i dont guard him, its still everyone elses fault.

- Larry Bird

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 12:30:40 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Not quite on topic, but Turkoglu just banked in a 3 with .3 left to beat Portland by 1.

Great slate of games tonight, and a Laker L is icing on the cake.

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 12:31:38 AM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
And its official, the Lakers just lost 113-101 to a team on a 8 game loosing streak, that dosnt play defense and they did so by scoring 20 points above their season average.

Chew on that ESPN, please please chew on that.. if anyone has the balls to say the Lakers are playing defense at a better level this year then id like you to see this game.

Now i know the stats say they are playing margianly better, but stats never tell the story, they are absolutly horrible on defense and its absolutly disrespectfull to mention the Lakers as being on par with the Celtics defensively.

- Larry Bird

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 12:40:16 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
It looks like Phil Jackson and Derek Fisher weren't joking when he said a few days ago that other teams have figured out how to attack their defense.

Back to the drawing board.

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 12:46:37 AM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
It looks like Phil Jackson and Derek Fisher weren't joking when he said a few days ago that other teams have figured out how to attack their defense.

Back to the drawing board.

This is the team that Fisher thinks can beat the Celtics?

KG said it best 'They don't want no pick and roll!'

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 09:19:15 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
And its official, the Lakers just lost 113-101 to a team on a 8 game loosing streak, that dosnt play defense and they did so by scoring 20 points above their season average.

Chew on that ESPN, please please chew on that.. if anyone has the balls to say the Lakers are playing defense at a better level this year then id like you to see this game.

Now i know the stats say they are playing margianly better, but stats never tell the story, they are absolutly horrible on defense and its absolutly disrespectfull to mention the Lakers as being on par with the Celtics defensively.

The Lakers were playing very good defense, it wasn't a ESPN created fiction. Maybe you should have tried to watch them earlier to see by yourself. After the first 10 games they were leading the league in defensive efficiency.

The problem, and what happened last night has been happening for awhile now, is that their defensive system took the league by surprise, but teams seem to have found good counter-moves. Their system is highly based on traps and pressure, and teams have probably been scouting them very carefully to find weak points; then it relies on having a help line with the two bigs playing behind the key, what is disturbed by jump-shooting, perimeter oriented bigs (very much like the C's, or any other defense who relies on overloading the strongside); then their transition defense has been sucking, Fisher and Kobe (!!) seem a step slower and they're not executing as well as they were by the start of the season. They should try to fight that as soon as possible, once the team stop believing on what they're doing on defense, everybody will stop defending.

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2008, 09:53:59 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

The Lakers were playing very good defense, it wasn't a ESPN created fiction. Maybe you should have tried to watch them earlier to see by yourself. After the first 10 games they were leading the league in defensive efficiency.

The problem, and what happened last night has been happening for awhile now, is that their defensive system took the league by surprise, but teams seem to have found good counter-moves. Their system is highly based on traps and pressure, and teams have probably been scouting them very carefully to find weak points; then it relies on having a help line with the two bigs playing behind the key, what is disturbed by jump-shooting, perimeter oriented bigs (very much like the C's, or any other defense who relies on overloading the strongside); then their transition defense has been sucking, Fisher and Kobe (!!) seem a step slower and they're not executing as well as they were by the start of the season. They should try to fight that as soon as possible, once the team stop believing on what they're doing on defense, everybody will stop defending.

I think the qoute you linked is one extreme, but this is the other. They play very good defense, but the problem is they don't have two things we have, a KG'esq big who QB's thier defense agaisnt the pick and roll, and a PG who can deny the other teams sets for as long as rondo does.

One of the biggest things rondo does well is keep the other PG away from the start of the offensive play until 12-15 seconds left in the clock by making them waste so much time getting up court. This in turn limits the other teams options. If thier first run through doesnt work, they have limited time to reset.

The lakers play a similar scheme, but as we saw last night, Gasol and bynum don't cut it as the vocal defensive leaders from behind the perimiter players, and Fisher is to slow to pressure full court. This resulted in the kings having the ablity to probe multiple times off the pick and roll, and either get the shot, or still have 6-10 seconds left on the clock to improvise off the lakers response to the pick and roll.

There a good defensive team, but I don't think gasol or bynum will anchor that defense behind the picks, or that fisher can give them that advantage of a short clock like rondo can.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2008, 10:11:34 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Good to see the hated Fakers get the L.

I suspect it may in part be due to the Lakers being overly obsessed with the Celtics at this point.

More broadly, to echo Doc, it is not how you start the season, but how you end it.  Here's to hoping the Cs end it the same way they ended last season.  ;D
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2008, 10:20:49 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I like seeing the Lakers lose as much as the next person, but I think we're making a little too much out of one loss.  Any team can look bad on any given night.

Although, I do hope this makes some of the media back off the notion that this Laker team is one of the best of all time.