Author Topic: Oklahoma/Texas  (Read 8681 times)

Oklahoma/Texas
« on: December 09, 2008, 12:30:17 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
By the avator you can see I am pretty biased, but I wanted to get the opinion of others outside of the Big 12.  Who deserves to be in the BCS Championship game?  Oklahoma or Texas? Why?

Re: Oklahoma/Texas
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 12:42:23 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Texas. 

They beat Oklahoma on a neutral field.  They lost to Texas Tech on a last second score AT Texas Tech.  Oklahoma did beat TT but in Norman. 

Biggest thing to me is the head to head matchup there.  That happened ON the field, none of this computer ranking stuff.   

That being said, I'll probably pull for Oklahoma in the BCS title game.  Can't stand Florida.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 01:18:52 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I feel the same way, Texas got robbed and deserves to be in there.  Though just like you, I will be cheering for Oklahoma because I cannot stand Florida either.  I can't stand Tim Tebow.
do it

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 01:52:39 PM »

Offline TripleThreat

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
Its just one more example of why the BCS system is flawed and should be replaced with a tournament style playoff. While Oklahoma is very deserving, Texas should be playing for the championship.

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 02:14:49 PM »

Offline Dwnflfan

• Xavier Tillman
BOISE STATE & UTAH!

;)

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 04:48:19 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
I see what you are saying, but by that logic, why does Texas Tech not get to go?

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 05:12:33 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Every time I get into one of these discussions, the conversation ends with one word: playoffs. It's really that simple. You could argue for days about who the two best teams are, because there's no right answer. There is no reasonable way to decide on paper who is the best out of 120 teams, if those teams have only played 12 games each. Deciding the 8 best teams is a lot easier, and in the end the fans and the schools will know that the champion was determined on the field.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 05:36:02 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
Every time I get into one of these discussions, the conversation ends with one word: playoffs. It's really that simple. You could argue for days about who the two best teams are, because there's no right answer. There is no reasonable way to decide on paper who is the best out of 120 teams, if those teams have only played 12 games each. Deciding the 8 best teams is a lot easier, and in the end the fans and the schools will know that the champion was determined on the field.

QFT. This is why so many people are put off by college football. The BCS is useless to determine a champion similar to Hollinger's stats. Just have the darn playoff system already.

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 05:41:37 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
Deciding the 8 best teams is a lot easier, and in the end the fans and the schools will know that the champion was determined on the field.

I agree that a playoff system makes the most sense, but I don't know if it is that much easier.  Look at the logjam around the 8th position this year:

1. Oklahoma 12-1
 2. Florida 12-1
 3. Texas 11-1
 4. Alabama 12-1
 5. USC 11-1
 6. Utah 12-0
 7. Texas Tech 11-1
 8. Penn State 11-1
 9. Boise State 12-0
10. Ohio State 10-2
11. TCU 10-2

According to this, an undefeated Boise State would not make the playoffs.  Who would you take out of the top 8 for them to replace?  Texas Tech?  Penn State?  No way.  Those teams would run circles around Boise, but you would have to include Boise.

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 05:51:32 PM »

Offline TripleThreat

• The Green Kornet
Deciding the 8 best teams is a lot easier, and in the end the fans and the schools will know that the champion was determined on the field.

I agree that a playoff system makes the most sense, but I don't know if it is that much easier.  Look at the logjam around the 8th position this year:

1. Oklahoma 12-1
 2. Florida 12-1
 3. Texas 11-1
 4. Alabama 12-1
 5. USC 11-1
 6. Utah 12-0
 7. Texas Tech 11-1
 8. Penn State 11-1
 9. Boise State 12-0
10. Ohio State 10-2
11. TCU 10-2

According to this, an undefeated Boise State would not make the playoffs.  Who would you take out of the top 8 for them to replace?  Texas Tech?  Penn State?  No way.  Those teams would run circles around Boise, but you would have to include Boise.

I think the argument of the playoff is that yeah, you may have a logjam at the 8th spot, but I'd rather have it there than at the top of the rankings at #2. Boise State only beat one top 20 school, they had a great year but need a tougher schedule if they're going to make the cut.

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 06:00:25 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Having a log jam at the 8th spot is a lot better of a problem then having a log jam at the 2 spot.  That's like the NCAA hoops tourny.  Clearly, someone is going to get left out.  Someone may get left out who deserves to be in, but, you have the teams who REALLY deserve to be there.  The teams that are clear cut national final contenders are there.  If you do an 8 team system, I think you get that.  It's very foolish, you can make a good case for Alabama deserving to be in the finals as well.  They just picked a bad week to lose in.  I mean Florida lost to Mississippi, but since it was early in the year, it means nothing.
do it

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 06:20:48 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I see what you are saying, but by that logic, why does Texas Tech not get to go?

This is one of those things that could go around in a circle for days.  It's completely subjective.

I think you throw Texas Tech out of the argument because they got destroyed by Oklahoma.  Granted, they beat Texas but it was on a last second touchdown.  Texas-Texas Tech was an extremely tight game played in Lubbock.  Now for Texas to go down there and play a tight game and nearly pull it out, that carries weigh.

Oklahoma smoked Texas Tech on their HOME field.  Albeit, extremely impressive.  If Texas Tech had lost a tight in Norman, this arguement becomes much more interesting, however, they got destroyed.  Just for that, I push them below both the Sooners and Longhorns.

Here's the kicker for me.  The head to head matchup in Dallas.  This game was played on a neutral site so there was no home field advantage.  Texas wins by 10.  That carries the most merit for me. 

Now, you have Texas beating Oklahoma at a neutral site BUT lost a tight road game in Lubbock.

Or you have Oklahoma who smoked Texas Tech at home(who narrowly beat Texas at home) BUT lost to Texas on a neutral field.

Or you have Texas Tech who narrowly beat Texas at home BUT went on the road and got embarassed by Oklahoma.

I have to go with Texas on this one.  Out of the BUTs, i think theirs is the least of a negative.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 07:56:55 PM by Donoghus »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 06:38:53 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
I'd rather have it there than at the top of the rankings at #2.
Exactly

And having to decide 8 teams would be easier because you could pick the 8 teams with the help of some of the current BCS rules. For instance, you could keep the rule that only 2 teams from a conference can be in the tournament. Bye bye Texas Tech. Now you're down to 10 teams, and probably down to 9 because TCU, and non-BCS team with 2 losses, wouldn't make the cut. Picking 8 teams from a clear field of 9 is better than the debacle we have right now.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 07:08:27 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

This is one of those things that could go around in a circle for days.  It's completely subjective.

I think you throw Texas Tech out of the argument because they got destroyed by Oklahoma.  Granted, they beat Texas but it was on a last second touchdown.  Texas-Texas Tech was an extremely tight game played in Lubbock.  Now for Texas to go down there and play a tight game and nearly pull it out, that carries weigh.

Oklahoma smoked Texas Tech on their HOME field.  Albeit, extremely impressive.  If Texas Tech had lost a tight in Norman, this arguement becomes much more interesting, however, they got destroyed.  Just for that, I push them below both the Sooners and Longhorns.

Here's the kicker for me.  The head to head matchup in Dallas.  This game was played on a neutral site so there was no home field advantage.  Texas wins by 10.  That carries the most merit for me. 

Now, you have Texas beating Oklahoma BUT lost a tight road game in Lubbock.

Or you have Oklahoma who smoked Texas Tech (who narrowly beat Texas at home) BUT lost to Texas on a neutral field.

Or you have Texas Tech who narrowly beat Texas at home BUT went on the road and got embarassed by Oklahoma.

I have to go with Texas on this one.  Out of the BUTs, i think theirs is the least of a negative.

This thread is providing quite a reminder of what a frustrating day to be a Mizzou fan.  Ranked number two in the country barely two months ago, Big 12 North winner...and maybe the fifth best team in the Big 12 at large.  Wiped out by Texas, wiped out by Oklahoma, upset at home to start the whole slide by Oklahoma State.  Ugh.

What's the feeling in Austin about the Big 12 division system, blake?  Have folks been campaigning for a realignment at all?  The disparity was awful this year...and the Saturday night I spent watching us get hammered by your team is three and a half hours I'm never getting back...

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 07:36:37 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Texas