Author Topic: The Anime Thread Revisited  (Read 59205 times)

Re: The Anime Thread Revisited
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2009, 01:34:22 AM »

Offline budMovin

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
thanks drucci and bu

both comment really appreciated

any info on ghost
whant to know before starting?

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is easily in my top 5 anime series (The movie trail-blazed the cyberpunk genre of anime back in 1995). What makes the series so good (besides the second to none fight sequences) would be the character development and how they play them off of each other. There are politics and philosophy which makes the series resonate with meaning. To top it all off, the music makes you feel emotionally involved in the many epiphanies in the series... I am not one to give away any plot, because I do not want to spoil it for you. You will love it.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
                 -Gladiator

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
thanks drucci and bu

any info on ghost

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is easily in my top 5 anime series (The movie trail-blazed the cyberpunk genre of anime back in 1995). What makes the series so good (besides the second to none fight sequences) would be the character development and how they play them off of each other. There are poitics and philosophy which makes the series resonate with meaning. To top it all off, the music makes you feel emotionally involved in the many epiphanies in the series... I am not one to give away any plot, because I do not want to spoil it for you. You will love it.

Is this the same than 07 Ghost or is different.?
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2009, 02:23:46 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
thanks drucci and bu

any info on ghost

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is easily in my top 5 anime series (The movie trail-blazed the cyberpunk genre of anime back in 1995). What makes the series so good (besides the second to none fight sequences) would be the character development and how they play them off of each other. There are poitics and philosophy which makes the series resonate with meaning. To top it all off, the music makes you feel emotionally involved in the many epiphanies in the series... I am not one to give away any plot, because I do not want to spoil it for you. You will love it.

Lol. Hell no. Completely, absolutely different.

Anyways, I haven't watched anime this whole year. Really haven't had the time. Been reading books/manga and watching tv shows for the most part.

I will throw another good series out there.
Texhnolyze
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texhnolyze

Amazing series, although it suffers from having one of the worst 1st episodes out there (only like 3 lines of spoken dialogue in it).

Really good series, certainly not for everyone.

I didn't notice this thread before! Maybe you will allow me a little exception, and let me present you a manga (and not an anime).

I know that the manga I'm going to talk about is edited in the US so I strongly recommend you to read it because it is simply awesome. It is called 20th Century Boys, by Naoki Urasawa. It's a thriller which evolves in different eras (the 70's, the 90's and more).

Basically, the story is the one of a group of japanese kids, in the 60's, who imagine the story of a group of terrorists who will attack different cities in the world and finally destroy the planet on the 31st of December 2000. The kids then grow up, the band is dislocated, and everyone lives his life of adult in the '90's. But then they discover that a guy called "Friend", the leader of a cult, is using the drawing symbol (see above) they used as children, and that he is really fulfilling the nightmare scenarios they imagined as kids. So they reunite and decide to stop him.

I know the scenario sounds odd, I found it stupid at first but when you read it, it's just awesome, you can't stop reading. The series counts 24 volumes and has recently been adapted into movies (3 movies, but two have been made so far).

I've made a website on the manga, and I've been running it since 2005. Of course it's in french so you won't understand much, but you can still take a look (take care because there are spoilers) : http://20th.centuryboys.free.fr

Monster is another manga from Naoki Urasawa, a great thriller too (published before 20th) but my preference goes to 20th.

Monster is my clear cut favorite anime (and I have seen a lot). After viewing it, this was one of those series that made me sad that it had to end, yet I was overjoyed that something of this quality exists.

I have heard nothing but good things about 20th Century Boys (although it is only in manga form at this point).

Naoki Urasawa is my favorite mangakas. There's also a live-action movie for 20th Century Boys if you're interested. Another good manga by him is Pluto, really worth the read even if the end was a bit rushed in my opinion.

I've watched some of his Yawara and Master Keaton series, and they're quite enjoyable if you're interested in the subject matter. Another manga from him that is really good is Happy! but with scanlations being very infrequent, it's quite tough to wait for.

His newest series is Billy Bat, which looks like it might be interesting. Still haven't tried it.

« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2009, 03:39:25 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
thanks drucci and bu

any info on ghost

if theyre so different is one of them Bad or theyre simply different.

Nice to be back!

« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2009, 03:58:09 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
thanks drucci and bu

any info on ghost

07 Ghost I haven't seen, but it looks like crap to me. Ghost in the Shell is one of the best series out there.

For Ghost in the Shell there are a couple of things you should know. There are two alternate realities:

The Movies Reality:

Ghost in the Shell (Another version came out recently known as Ghost in the Shell 2.0)
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

Then the TV series reality, pretty much known as the Stand Alone Complex. It's composed by 2 tv series and a movie:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (26 Episodes)
Ghost in the Shell: 2nd GIG (26 Episodes)
Ghost in the Shell: Solid State Society (Movie)

Here's a graph of how the series/movies are related:
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=rel&aid=61

http://anidb.net/ is a great source for these types of information, as is http://animenewsnetwork.com

« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2009, 04:01:41 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
thanks drucci and bu

any info on ghost

07 Ghost I haven't seen, but it looks like crap to me. Ghost in the Shell is one of the best series out there.

For Ghost in the Shell there are a couple of things you should know. There are two alternate realities:

The Movies Reality:

Ghost in the Shell (Another version came out recently known as Ghost in the Shell 2.0)
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

Then the TV series reality, pretty much known as the Stand Alone Complex. It's composed by 2 tv series and a movie:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (26 Episodes)
Ghost in the Shell: 2nd GIG (26 Episodes)
Ghost in the Shell: Solid State Society (Movie)

Here's a graph of how the series/movies are related:
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=rel&aid=61

http://anidb.net/ is a great source for these types of information, as is http://animenewsnetwork.com

ty very much
I will go that way and start with first 26 ep.

Nice to be back!

« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2009, 04:08:27 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I really liked the first season, i wasn't wow'd by the second season, but i still liked it.

The thing i really liked about the first season was how tight the plot was and how it focused on an issue that may well be a big part of our lives in the not so distant future (i.e big brother type programs and cyber terrorism, A.I)

Also, the major is a bad ass. I would add my recommendation to buds.

also, did you ever get a working copy of Eureka seven? I think you would really like that, based on some of the other stuff all three of us like (you me and bud seem to have very similar tastes.)

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2009, 04:13:40 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
I really liked the first season, i wasn't wow'd by the second season, but i still liked it.

The thing i really liked about the first season was how tight the plot was and how it focused on an issue that may well be a big part of our lives in the not so distant future (i.e big brother type programs and cyber terrorism, A.I)

also, did you ever get a working copy of Eureka seven? I think you would really like that, based on some of the other stuff all three of us like (you me and bud seem to have very similar tastes.)

no i couldnt so i started watching samurai7

sadly
I will work on that

Do u also beleive 07Ghost is crap? just asking to all.....

Nice to be back!

« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2009, 04:17:10 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

sadly
I will work on that

I actually havent had a chance to see ghost 07, I honestly haven't watched a thing since...[dang], 5 or 6 months ago?

mostly i just dont have the time. I feel guilty as hell posting now, i should be re-reading my civ pro work for later today and briefing cases.

Law school is eating my time, but in a good way. i'm loving  it, but it does cut down on the "time to do anything but read" time.  :-\
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2009, 04:25:32 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

sadly
I will work on that

I actually havent had a chance to see ghost 07, I honestly haven't watched a thing since...[dang], 5 or 6 months ago?

mostly i just dont have the time. I feel guilty as hell posting now, i should be re-reading my civ pro wor later today and briefing cases.

Law school is eating my time, but in a good way. i'm loving  it, but it does cut down on the "time to do anything but read" time.  :-\

well then thanks
good luck and if u ever have time again
I will tell u if i also think its actually crap
I am planning on going both ghosts

Nice to be back!

« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2009, 08:49:11 PM »

Offline budMovin

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
I am watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes right now. It is 110 episodes, but I have heard nothing but good things. Will fill you all in, being 110 episodes, it better be [dang] good!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096633/

Edgar, a really good site for anime is...
http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
                 -Gladiator

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2009, 08:51:26 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is quite awesome. I need to finish it, I stopped at around episode 60.

« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2009, 12:55:30 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
I am watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes right now. It is 110 episodes, but I have heard nothing but good things. Will fill you all in, being 110 episodes, it better be [dang] good!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096633/

Edgar, a really good site for anime is...
http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php

ty I will try it for sure man

Quote from: BudweiserCeltic
link=topic=24051.msg572021#msg572021 date=1251420686
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is quite awesome. I need to finish it, I stopped at around episode 60.

and thanks for the reinforcement

p.s. I just watched half an episode of Requiem of the Phantom  what do u think if u ever saw this one

TPs all arounf
love my anime

Nice to be back!

« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2009, 09:46:34 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I really liked this anime to, i think bud mentioned it before but it's worth a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YS7JOpbj8U&NR=1
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:52:43 AM by crownsy »

« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2009, 01:08:01 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I really liked this anime to, i think bud mentioned it before but it's worth a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YS7JOpbj8U&NR=1

Series has the best opening song in all of anime.