Author Topic: The Anime Thread Revisited  (Read 58912 times)

Re: Some good new Anime ( Naruto Shippuden)
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 12:50:41 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'm up to volume 8 of the manga of Black Lagoon... not that impressed with the current arc, but lots of action for sure. And yeah I had heard of it a while ago.

I haven't watched the second season of Code Geass myself. In fact, I'm at episode 24 of the first season. The show went on a hiatus before airing 25 and 26, and I never got around to watching them. Will hopefully do so during Christmas break.

Eureka seveN surely was great... if you like that then you'll really like Xamdou too. From BONES too, and it has kinda of the same setup. Though Eureka I finished watching like 2 years ago, so I don't know about recent hehe.

Evangelion I never finished. I stopped like 6 years ago on episode 20.. never got around to finishing it. With that said... maybe this is what you meant, the Evangelion 1.0 and 2.0? Or is this something else?

Eva ended at 26 episodes, but the last two were really open ended and kind of pretty much a "finsh it in your head however you want" ending.

The fans rebelled, so about 2 years later, they made a OAV that pretty much just expounded on the last two episodes, made them less open ended, and kind of pigion holed what happened at the end into a linear ending.

Some liked the move, others didn't. I was ok with how the series ended myself, and felt the OAV was an excuse to go "ok, well giant robot battles happened and a few characters died as well, pay us some $$$$ for a series that was already ended." but others felt like the OAV is a more fitting ending to the anime.

Well, there's Evangelion 1.0 that came out a couple of months ago... which was more of a movie like retelling the series or something. I don't know when 2.0 comes out... I just don't know if this is what you're hearing as a rumor, or if they're planning an aditional OVA to this movies.

And seeing from your quote, you probably missed my last paragraph:

Fullmetal Alchemist is getting a new series though, coming on April 2009.  Darker than Black is another series that came out last year which was good. I'm still hoping for a second series of that.

Oh, i didn't even know about a retooling of the series, im talking the 1998 Eva OAV "end of evangelion" and the orginal series in 96, i'll check out the new 1.0 stuff.

I watched one piece up till episode 100 or so, fansubbed, but its just one of those thats gone on far to long IMO and all the storylines have been doen to death.

I don't know if you care about reading manga, but I'd say as far as mangas go, One Piece is currently my top one to follow weekly. I stopped watching the anime at about episode 210 or something.

I can tell you this, you're probably around the start of the Arabasta arc, which was good. But about 4 arcs after that the series really becomes great.

But I can see how these long series can take a toll. That's why at times I'd rather just read the comic so that I can spend more time on other things I'm interested in.

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 09:16:46 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Blade of the Immortal, and Kurozuka seem pretty cool so far.

A bit shocked to find out you guys watch anime as well, lol.

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 07:47:00 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Blade of the Immortal, and Kurozuka seem pretty cool so far.

A bit shocked to find out you guys watch anime as well, lol.

I haven't started watching those yet. I read both mangas for those. Blade of the Immortal I haven't started because I don't trust the group releasing it plus I wasn't sure about how the adaptation would go about. The manga was quite brutal. Kurozuka I'm waiting till it's completely released so I can watch it in one sitting.

Here's a chart I found in another forum, that has some suggested animes and their genre. Though it has many omissions, and some of the choices I don't agree with, overall it can be something to help those looking for something else to watch:
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/1089/1226780840400iw6.jpg

Most underrated Anime ....
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 06:43:35 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
http://www.animecrazy.net/top-five-most-underrated-anime-2/#more-21209

We had a pretty nice discusion about this with crowsy and Bud last time
so maybe we can continue that one here
with this fine article i found today, looking for my weekly chapter of shippuden
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

Re: Most underrated Anime ....
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 07:12:56 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I don't know how they came up with that list. Shingetsutan Tsukihime is vastly popular in the anime world (Fate/stay night and Kara no Kyoukai are both TypeMoon series, and they should take place in the same universe or so). Fafner is alright, I don't know how it even made that list... it's not good enough to consider it underrated. Weis Kreuz I've never had a chance to try. Gungrave is not underrated at all, it's an excellent anime and people know so. Chrono Crusade might be underrated... it was a bit silly at first and it lost some of it's charm in the middle, but man the ending was one of the best ones in anime history.

If I had to make a top 5 of underrated anime, these would be considered:

Kurau Phantom Memory
Project ARMS
Legend of Galactic Heroes
Fantastic Children
Kaze no Yojimbo

If I made an overrated list, they would include:

Naruto (was good for a while)
Bleach (was good for a while)
Prince of Tennis
Eyeshield 21
Lucky Star

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 07:20:36 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
I don't know how they came up with that list. Shingetsutan Tsukihime is vastly popular in the anime world (Fate/stay night and Kara no Kyoukai are both TypeMoon series, and they should take place in the same universe or so). Fafner is alright, I don't know how it even made that list... it's not good enough to consider it underrated. Weis Kreuz I've never had a chance to try. Gungrave is not underrated at all, it's an excellent anime and people know so. Chrono Crusade might be underrated... it was a bit silly at first and it lost some of it's charm in the middle, but man the ending was one of the best ones in anime history.

If I had to make a top 5 of underrated anime, these would be considered:

Kurau Phantom Memory
Project ARMS
Legend of Galactic Heroes
Fantastic Children
Kaze no Yojimbo

If I made an overrated list, they would include:

Naruto (was good for a while)
Bleach (was good for a while)
Prince of Tennis
Eyeshield 21
Lucky Star

just clarifying Naruto
not shippuden  ;)

I liked this topic because it will give me the chance of bennefit from knowledge from people like u
and i really appreciate that
I consider myself an anime lover but not a erudito in any way. ;D

Nice to be back!

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 07:25:32 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Na' Shippuuden is included. Fillers completely crap the series, and they also destroyed the pacing. I really like the story, but the execution is subpar. It also suffers from very unbalanced animation... some action scenes are incredibly well done, while others looked like they were animated by 3 year olds.

Well, I know a lot about anime so I'm at your service hehe.

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 07:29:42 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
Na' Shippuuden is included. Fillers completely crap the series, and they also destroyed the pacing. I really like the story, but the execution is subpar. It also suffers from very unbalanced animation... some action scenes are incredibly well done, while others looked like they were animated by 3 year olds.

Well, I know a lot about anime so I'm at your service hehe.

Hopefully this new saga
89 and up will change your mid...

Spiralllllllling Shurikennnnnn!!!!!

and yes i know u know how it ends, thats why i refuse myself to read the manga.

Nice to be back!

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 07:30:04 PM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
One of the most underrated? of those i've seen thats underrated by most internation anime fnatics would have to be

Akagi
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 07:33:13 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I'll say this... if only the anime would take some longer breaks so that they can gather material and do the anime as it's supposed to, this would be excellent. Instead they opt to milk the revenues for 52 weeks in the year, and the great portions of the series are too few and too far appart when you consider all the crap that is in the middle.

The manga for a while now has been very exciting, so I know the story will be good and entertaining... it's the crap that gets added to the anime that puts me off.

But enough of that.

One of the most underrated? of those i've seen thats underrated by most internation anime fnatics would have to be

Akagi

Well said.. I was going to mention it, but decided not to. Try One Outs.

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 07:36:53 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
I'll say this... if only the anime would take some longer breaks so that they can gather material and do the anime as it's supposed to, this would be excellent. Instead they opt to milk the revenues for 52 weeks in the year, and the great portions of the series are too few and too far appart when you consider all the crap that is in the middle.

The manga for a while now has been very exciting, so I know the story will be good and entertaining... it's the crap that gets added to the anime that puts me off.

But enough of that.

Akagi

fair enough
i will ask u one question
If u can recomend one episode of one series
and use it as the perfect example of auto explaining anime you love
which one will it be??

Nice to be back!

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 07:46:19 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

But enough of that.

Akagi

fair enough
i will ask u one question
If u can recomend one episode of one series
and use it as the perfect example of auto explaining anime you love
which one will it be??

Would be kinda pointless since I like many kinds of anime... but try the first episode of Bounen no Xamdou, I think that's a start.

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2008, 08:00:37 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I will vote Hikaru No Go as underrated as well as Spiral.

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2008, 08:26:20 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I have tried to like anime. I have really tried...and Im not a guy that has ANYTHING against cartoons. I still watch batman from time to time (the old animated series from the 90's, not the dumb futuristic one).

I mean Ninja Scroll will always have a spot in my heart, (is that even anime?).

But I tried to watch Cowboy Bebop, tried to watch some other ones...never took.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 08:27:04 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I will vote Hikaru No Go as underrated as well as Spiral.

Good choice with Hikaru no Go, although usually regarded quite highly... it's often forgotten.

Spiral, I think it's rated about right. I really enjoyed it, but the piece of crap ending it had completely ruined my experience. It felt like I wasted my time watching it.

I have tried to like anime. I have really tried...and Im not a guy that has ANYTHING against cartoons. I still watch batman from time to time (the old animated series from the 90's, not the dumb futuristic one).

I mean Ninja Scroll will always have a spot in my heart, (is that even anime?).

But I tried to watch Cowboy Bebop, tried to watch some other ones...never took.

Well at least your tried. And yes, Ninja Scroll is an anime... the movie was great, the series sucked.

Cowboy Bebop, even though is a cool series I can see why people might not like it. I for one didn't think much of it when I first tried it. I gave it another shot, and loved it. The final episodes are legendary.

I don't know how you've been watching the anime, but I've always felt that watching it with the Japanese audio and English subtitles is a vastly superior way to watch these. The English dub more often than not dumbs down the anime and makes them lame.

I'll mention a couple more series here in case you haven't tried them, and are willing to give it another shot... who knows, maybe you'll find yourself bored (they are more of the great plot/drama variety targeted to young-adults or adults):

Monster - Great mystery thriller drama about a doctor who saves the life of a boy, just to later find out years later that he became a serial killer (while he himself is a suspect of the killings).
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=1539

Twelve Kingdoms - Great story about a girl in highschool that suddenly gets visited by a guardian from a parallel universe, let's her know that she's to become their ruler, takes her there just so that she can find out a quite a ruthless society in the middle of a war. Because of her physical appearance, peoeple try to kill her... and it's her journey to find her rightful place to the throne. Great animation, story, and action.
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=26

Now and Then, Here and There - a boy gets warped into another world, where he finds himself in an oppressed society where children are enslaved. Quite a dark/mature series.
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=114