Author Topic: Will Rajon Rondo go down as the best player in the 2006 NBA Draft?  (Read 10588 times)

Re: Will Rajon Rondo go down as the best player in the 2006 NBA Draft?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 01:28:45 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Really well that's good Aldridge is only slightly softer than Channing Frye and I don't to hold Gay in as high regard and you as some others.  So IMO he's already 2 with a good chance to be #1.  That is unless all you use to determine who's a better player is PPG.

come on man, Roy is a stud, he's a great passer, shooter, and leader. He's a very good rebounder for a 2 , and he plays solid defense. He has no shot at #1 unless Roy gets injured/ Has a major down turn.

Ive got him third, aldridge and Roy are clearly much better players right now.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 02:01:38 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Really well that's good Aldridge is only slightly softer than Channing Frye and I don't to hold Gay in as high regard and you as some others.  So IMO he's already 2 with a good chance to be #1.  That is unless all you use to determine who's a better player is PPG.

come on man, Roy is a stud, he's a great passer, shooter, and leader. He's a very good rebounder for a 2 , and he plays solid defense. He has no shot at #1 unless Roy gets injured/ Has a major down turn.

Who said anything about Roy?  I did say he was #2, I just find Aldridge to be nothing more than a tall SF who doesn't impact the game like an elite PG does.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 02:06:50 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9

I agree re: Roy...I'm the biggest Rondo fan in the world, but he's no Brandon Roy. Roy is phenomenal.
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
It's interesting that we drafted the two best players from that year. 

One of them to get the matching contract for the Garnett trade, and one of them to play pg beside KG.  Nice work, Danny.

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 03:05:03 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
You also have to keep in mind that good pg's are more few and far between than swingmen. I would say that Rudy Gay is a good swingman and Rondo is a good pg. There is a major drop off between the good pg's and the average ones, while the dropoff between good swingmen and average ones is pretty minimal.

The good young pg's are : Paul, Williams, Parker, Harris, Rondo, Calderon...running out of names already...could go on and on for good young swingmen

anthony, james, roy, gay, wade, joe johnson, caron, iggy, garcia, durant

There are a lot of them and that has historically been the case, so unless you are getting a franchise type player, which Roy may be, then you take the good pg with the potential to be great. I don't see the type of leadership in Rudy Gay to be able to say he's a franchise cornerstone.

At this point, I'd put Roy at 1 and Rondo at 2, but my opinion on that may change soon enough. I also like Aldridge, but I haven't seen his defensive skills enough to truly have a feel for him.

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 03:10:20 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
It's interesting that we drafted the two best players from that year. 

One of them to get the matching contract for the Garnett trade, and one of them to play pg beside KG.  Nice work, Danny.

Technically, we drafted Foye.  But that's because the T-Wolves knew we had traded our pick and Portland wanted Roy, so they snatched him up, in order to force a trade for Foye.

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 03:19:10 PM »

Offline shiggins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 147
You also have to keep in mind that good pg's are more few and far between than swingmen. I would say that Rudy Gay is a good swingman and Rondo is a good pg. There is a major drop off between the good pg's and the average ones, while the dropoff between good swingmen and average ones is pretty minimal.

The good young pg's are : Paul, Williams, Parker, Harris, Rondo, Calderon...running out of names already...could go on and on for good young swingmen

There are a lot of them and that has historically been the case, so unless you are getting a franchise type player, which Roy may be, then you take the good pg with the potential to be great. I don't see the type of leadership in Rudy Gay to be able to say he's a franchise cornerstone.

At this point, I'd put Roy at 1 and Rondo at 2, but my opinion on that may change soon enough. I also like Aldridge, but I haven't seen his defensive skills enough to truly have a feel for him.

This is fairly absurd...The drop off between Lebron and Francisco Garcia is minimal?  Brandon Roy is already an all-star caliber player, and the best player on one of the top 5 (even that is being understating it possibly) teams in the West. I mean wing players are more plentiful in the NBA than point guards...Maybe another reason is that there are 2 wing positions...but anyway, with a player like Lebron your always in contention regardless.  I dont think he is less valuable because hes not a point guard...Jordan was a wing player and for all intents and purposes had pretty poor point guards running his team and they did fine.

I love Rondo, but he is definitely not on a Brandon Roy level.  Rudy Gay is also being highly underrated here.  Gay will be a stud.  I'm not as crazy about Aldridge as some, but seriously, are we that blind?  Hes a very solid player, and what is he?  21 years old? 

This is a fairly ridiculous thread...We all know Rondo was a steal at 21 and if you want a do-over for the draft he should be in the top 5, but seriously, over Brandon Roy?  You must be joking.

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 03:40:50 PM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
Roy to me is the best overall player in that draft. I like Aldridge because of his ability to play the low post, something that is lacking in today's league, though he seems to have been pushed out to the elbows.  If Aldridge can play offense in the low post I think he's the second best player. 

1. Roy
2. Aldridge
3. Gay
4. Rondo
5. Farmar

Somewhere around six I think Powe.

Would have been interesting to see us get Roy, Rondo, and Powe in that draft, and then trade Paul. I wonder where we'd be with a line-up of Roy, Rondo, Al, Perk, and then a small forward (not Green).

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2008, 03:51:29 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
with that lineup you will be doing like Sota. ;D

and to add

Roy, Gay=Rondo, Aldrige
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 04:01:17 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I don't wanna get all doom and gloom but Brandon Roy is going to be a top 5 swingman in the NBA for like the next 10 years. He'll be the best player from 2006.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 04:04:43 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
I don't wanna get all doom and gloom but Brandon Roy is going to be a top 5 swingman in the NBA for like the next 10 years. He'll be the best player from 2006.

Doom and Gloom ... why would C's fans care how good Brandon Roy becomes.  I'm quite happy with Rondo believe me.  And if he's only ends up being a top 5 swing man Rondo will end up better than him. 
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 04:13:47 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I had to go back and check who was even drafted that year...this was a horrid draft.  Can't believe POB (now our 12th man) went 9th that year!

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 04:57:06 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85

This is fairly absurd...The drop off between Lebron and Francisco Garcia is minimal?  Brandon Roy is already an all-star caliber player, and the best player on one of the top 5 (even that is being understating it possibly) teams in the West. I mean wing players are more plentiful in the NBA than point guards...Maybe another reason is that there are 2 wing positions...but anyway, with a player like Lebron your always in contention regardless.  I dont think he is less valuable because hes not a point guard...Jordan was a wing player and for all intents and purposes had pretty poor point guards running his team and they did fine.

I love Rondo, but he is definitely not on a Brandon Roy level.  Rudy Gay is also being highly underrated here.  Gay will be a stud.  I'm not as crazy about Aldridge as some, but seriously, are we that blind?  Hes a very solid player, and what is he?  21 years old? 

This is a fairly ridiculous thread...We all know Rondo was a steal at 21 and if you want a do-over for the draft he should be in the top 5, but seriously, over Brandon Roy?  You must be joking.

Meant to say Kevin Martin. Francisco Garcia's very average. There are some franchise guys in this league, and Rudy Gay is not one of them. So you'd have to rank the franchise guys up there first(which Roy is definitely looking like right now), next the good pg's and bigs (rondo, aldridge), and then the good swingmen (rudy gay). 

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 05:00:38 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

Meant to say Kevin Martin. Francisco Garcia's very average. There are some franchise guys in this league, and Rudy Gay is not one of them. So you'd have to rank the franchise guys up there first(which Roy is definitely looking like right now), next the good pg's and bigs (rondo, aldridge), and then the good swingmen (rudy gay). 

yup just what i pointed in good english  :D
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 05:54:16 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Roy, Gay, Aldridge then Rondo.