Author Topic: How good will Stephen Curry be in the NBA?  (Read 21279 times)

How good will Stephen Curry be in the NBA?
« on: December 06, 2008, 03:52:26 PM »

Offline EarthBall

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 110
He just dropped 44 on NC State. The guy is averaging 31 ppg and that includes a 0-point performance against Loyola MD when their coach doubled teamed him every single possession. Otherwise, he'd be averaging 36.5 ppg. Sure, his competition isn't great (though he scored 44 against #14 Oklahoma).

Do you anticipate him keeping up this pace for the rest of the season? Davidson plays mostly low-tier teams with the exceptions of Purdue and Duke.

And more importantly, how do you think Curry will be as an NBA player? Does he play defense? Will he be better than JJ Redick (is it possible not to be?)?

Re: How good will Stephen Curry be in the NBA?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 04:05:32 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I don't think he'll be nowhere near an all-star in the NBA. But he could be a very good offensive player for a championship contender to have off the bench.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 04:13:35 PM by BigAlTheFuture »
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 04:12:42 PM »

Offline NextCeltic34

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I see him as a Eddie House / Delonte West type in this league. Somebody who is too small to be a SG and not talented enough to be a PG. Probably a solid starter in the league nonetheless who can hit shots for his team late in the game. 

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 04:54:23 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I see him as a Eddie House / Delonte West type in this league. Somebody who is too small to be a SG and not talented enough to be a PG. Probably a solid starter in the league nonetheless who can hit shots for his team late in the game. 

Wow you are really off here IMO. The kid is ATHLETIC and has a pretty good handle unlike House or Delonte(who can only go to his left hand). He has the NBA blood from his father, who had a very productive career and he is WAY more talented then his dad IMO. I see him being more like a Monta Ellis or Gilbert arenas. He is easily a top 5 pick in next years draft

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 04:56:53 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I see him running the knicks someday.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 05:54:14 PM by housecall »

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 05:10:23 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9

Wow you are really off here IMO. The kid is ATHLETIC and has a pretty good handle unlike House or Delonte(who can only go to his left hand). He has the NBA blood from his father, who had a very productive career and he is WAY more talented then his dad IMO. I see him being more like a Monta Ellis or Gilbert arenas. He is easily a top 5 pick in next years draft

I'm gonna ride the fence and say he's halfway in between. He'll never be an all-star, but I can see him being a starter--a legit starter, not like Delonte, who is an excellent bench guard and nothing more.

Certainly better than House.

Certainly not a top 5 pick. He'll be in the teens.
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 05:54:00 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

I'm gonna ride the fence and say he's halfway in between. He'll never be an all-star, but I can see him being a starter--a legit starter, not like Delonte, who is an excellent bench guard and nothing more.

Certainly better than House.

Certainly not a top 5 pick. He'll be in the teens.
I should have worded that better, I meant he will end up being one of the top 5 players to come out of the draft and I think he has all the skills to be an all-star many times.

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 05:56:43 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
It's hard to tell if he really does have the skills to play point guard.  At the least, he'll be better then an Eddie House player.  I do think he has a better skill set then House.  The guy will be in the league for a long time.  Will he ever be an all-star?  I doubt it, but the kid could very well be a 15-18 ppg scorer in the league because of how good of a shooter he is and because of how smart of a player he is.  Remember, this is a player where teams zone in on him and him alone and the kid still finds ways to score and he does it against the upper level competition as well.  He dropped 44 on Oklahoma and NC State.  It'll be interesting to see how he does against a solid West Virginia team tonight.
do it

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 06:29:25 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
He will be eventually better ThAN HIS DAD. which is pretty good.

Dang! I wish I was Bolder! Still right none the less, Wish I would have said he'd be the greatest shooter ever!!!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 02:26:49 AM by KG Living Legend »

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 07:23:51 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
He's playing right now on ESPN. 
He's a pretty decent passer evidenced by his 3 early assists in the first 5 minutes. 
He also had a nice drive to the basket, absorbing some contact and making the bucket. 
He also has exhibited some good, confident handle despite the carrying call he just got, which I didn't quite see so clearly. 
He also seems to be a solid enough defender!  Is not getting pushed around even though college basketball is a lot more physically tolerant than the NBA and just had a nice clean block from behind too!

I think he should turn out better than Dell, who knows how good... I haven't seen a college player like him in the 12 years that I've been watching.

p.s. Jay Bilas just said that he only averaged 18ppg in high school, hence not being highly recruited.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 10:34:19 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
He had a terrible game against WV, yet still won Davidson the game by putting up 27 and 10.  The guy just wins.  He had a terrible shooting night, and at the end of the night, it was him who carried his team in the last 5 minutes.
do it

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 12:04:19 AM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
I think he'll be a real solid starter in the league.  A lot of people don't know he played point for his high school team, so this isn't a totally new experience for him.  He has all the tools to have have a solid career, plus he's a winner and he's a big game player, which I like. 

It will be interesting to see how far they go this year as this Davidson team isn't as good as last year's team, but Curry is a more improved player than he was last year.

Also if some of you didn't know he has a younger brother at Liberty that's putting up around 20 points a game as a freshmen.  The Curry family can play ball!

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 12:22:50 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
I really think he is going to be more JJ Redick then anyone.  His PG skills arent good enough to be an impact player at point, and his size is a major detriment for getting off his shot.  He almost HAS to play point, but I dont think he has the skills to do that.

Maybe if he gets into the perfect system (like a GS system...) but I dont think he will succeed in a half court offense. 

None of that is because I dont like the kid.  I do.  I just dont think it will happen.

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 11:10:37 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
he could be like jamal crawford in that he has the ability to drop 50 pts one night, and 5 pts the next.

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 11:15:56 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I see him as being somewhere between Eddie House and Jason Terry.  He is a better ballhandler and defender than House (not to mention taller), but he is not as quick and athletic as Terry.  Ultimately I expect him to be a very good role player in the NBA, with the potential to be more if he ends up on the right team.  But he will probably be jumping from team to team for most of his career.